Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT & Deposits

Options
  • 01-09-2005 2:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps someone in here can settle this once and for all:

BT take deposits for DSL provision from some - or all, I don't know the criteria - customers in rented accomodation, presumably to manage risk. Some people have a problem with this, I don't personally. However no receipt is issued for this deposit, it doesn't appear on their bills, and it would seem that at least some people receive no information about the deposit at all. Whatever about a courtesy letter explaining the deposit, I feel sure that BT should at the very least issue a receipt for the deposit, and for some reason I have it in my head that it's actually illegal not to.

Am I wrong about this? Are companies legally required to issue receipts for services rendered?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

I'd quite like to know this as well as the buggers got me for a deposit just recently.

I'm suspicious the reason they don't issue a receipt is that they're hoping people will forget to ask for their deposit back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some companies, like Vodafone, will return the deposit automatically after 6 months. This happened to me when I got my first bill phone back in 2001.

I think though, that they do have to issue a receipt. I'd suggest chasing it up. Like the previous poster said, the majority of people probably don't chase it up and forget about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Your account should show it as a credit, it is your money after all. If they fail to account for it / produce invoice showing it in suspense / then its probably illegal .

Advertisement