Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snap!

• 01-09-2005 9:21am

Thrashy euro dance pap or cutting edge of the commercial dance wave in 1989-1993?

I must admit, to my shame, that I liked Snap. From the first moment I heard The Power right though to 1992 when Rhythm is a Dancer was played 24/7 to the follow-up (and imho their best) Exterminate and onto Welcome to Tomorrow and their swansong. Cheesy, but great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'm leaning towards the trashy euro dance side but I will reluctantly admit that I taped a couple of their tracks off the radio in the early 90s :o

Actually, 'Exterminate' reminds me of being driven from home to college really fast by my mate on Monday mornings - great 'motorway music'. That, and all the terrible cheesy students bars/clubs we frequented at the time :)

Kolodny wrote:
    Actually, 'Exterminate' reminds me of being driven from home to college really fast by my mate on Monday mornings - great 'motorway music'. That, and all the terrible cheesy students bars/clubs we frequented at the time :)

Hey, did the Leaving Cert in 92 and started going out with the girl who is now my wife, so both Rhythm and Exterminate have great memories for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

to my shame i liked them too.... still have "rhythm is a dancer" knocking around on 7" somewhere!

they were like the prodigy in that they were never particularly revolutionary or underground but were never utterly wack until well into their careers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

they were 2 german producers i think. i have rhythm allright on 12".good todd terry remix on b side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

A bit of both TBH, but sure wasn't that the way things were in the early 90s. Exterminate was one of my favourite tracks of that era (I've heard Rhythm is a Dancer and its various re-releases/remixes far too many times at this stage for any pleasant nostalgic feelings).

Jaysus, Kolodny, long time no see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I liked Snap even thought they were a bit cheesy :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think anyone around at that time liked them...nos shame in that....I have their Essential Mix on double CD someplace and that's got some great stuff on there...none of their own work mind ;)
    I class it like Technotronic or 2Unlimited except maybe with a teensy bit more style to it than either of the other two who were quite obviously commercial pap. But commercial or not even they have memories attached so I can't simply slate them on that basis...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I liked them myself I will admit. Sure, in the couple of clubs I gig in, I throw it in, and it never fails - both the 90's generation, and todays young clubbers alike!

Seanie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

SNAP are brilliant, I'm only into em recently, I'm just a youngen, all the remixs of their stuff is class, nothing gets a party going like a bit of rythme is a dancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll have to admit that at the time I actually quite liked them too.

I think a big factor for their success is down to the fact that at the time dance music was really faceless and any acts that produced half way decent songs and had a "face" for the media and the public to latch onto became successful. Snap had the advantage over a lot of similar acts as their music was actually quite good.

A lot people forget the Power, when realeased, actually had a lot of credibilty when it was released first.

I have a couple of their tracks on vinyl, Rythym is a dancer and Exterminate.

Does anybody remember Rythym is a Dancer used to be played on MTV Europe (before it became MTV UK & Ireland) nearly a year before it was actually released over here and played in clubs?

Ah mammaries......

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

BaZmO* wrote:
    Does anybody remember Rythym is a Dancer used to be played on MTV Europe (before it became MTV UK & Ireland) nearly a year before it was actually released over here and played in clubs?

Ah mammaries......

B.

Yup...that and Papua New Guinea and a shedload of other "choons" used to get airplay regardless of chart entry...that was back in the day when MTV was actually watchable

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I dont have MTV dance but do they play any decent dance on it? - have they shifted it over from MTV? I used to record all the good tracks back in the day from MTV, think it was their dance show and the chill out zone which was excellent. Its hard to imagine now that they played the likes of X-Mix with the likes of Richie Hawtin, Hardfloor etc. They even used Acperience for the music for some non-dance festival advert back then. I actually heard most of my first Warp label stuff on MTV back then :eek:

Anyway, I have lots of respect for Snap, they were defo part of the crossover from totally underground to somewhat commercially acceptable but still retained to a degree their "underground" sound. In saying that, thats my mature view now, back then I would have been sick if I was out somewhere and they were played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Mtv Dance is rubbish. Its the most neglected channel they own probably. Same "shows" everyday, its usually the same type of music in each one anyway. They play a lot of R'n'B style club music with some other cheesey dance. Sometimes they have decent enough stuff on at like 2 in the morning.

is it true that Sven Vath was in Snap, someone told me that there the other day..........

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

is it true that Sven Vath was in Snap, someone told me that there the other day..........

I'd say they were telling you a porky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

such a porky. no way he was in snap :)

Advertisement