Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question - cracked/repaired brake lens?

Options
  • 01-09-2005 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I've done a search here (and on the NCTS site) but haven't found an answer yet. Car is due its first NCT soon and obviously I want it to pass first time if at all possible...

I drive a Seat Alhambra people-carrier and one of the (quite large) rear stop light lenses has a 2" x 1" hole punched in it by a bike handlebar. Rather than fork out €100+ for a replacement lens - I kid you not! :eek: - I've repaired it with a neat 'patch' of that red lens-repair tape from a motor factors. The stop light itself, of course, is working fine, bone-dry inside and 'provides a red light which is clearly visible', as specified in the official manual, which lists these as reasons for failure (p. 36):
    (1) Not working or faulty.
    (2) Missing or not clearly visible.
    (3) Not red in colour.
    (4) Lens broken or missing. [# so what about 'repaired'..?]
    (5) Not of the same dimensions and intensity.
    (6) Insecurely mounted.
    (7) Not fitted symmetrically.
    (8) Contains water / moisture.

So - should I be OK? Thanks for any advice you can offer; I emailed the query to NCTS about a month ago, but I haven't had anything back yet...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I had a car pass with a similar repair. Doesn't mean every one will though. That's all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ask NCTS themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is it the brake lens or the indicator lens that is broken?
    If you have repaired the indicator lens with red tape I think they will fail you.
    Indicators are ment to be orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Hagar wrote:
    Is it the brake lens or the indicator lens that is broken?
    Sorry, it's the brake lens - I edited the post to correct it but couldn't change the title, for some reason..?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would imagine that it should be fine as long as it isn't blocking the light output and also that there isn't a risk of it causing injury in any way.
    Test it as it is and see what they say. A retest on it should be free as it would be a visual inspection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Having had a car failed for a broken lens (A stone went through it on the way to the test center!) - the quote was that it had to be repaired so that the light was not dimmed and that there was no rough or shape edges exposed that could hurt a pedestrian.

Paddy

PS In the end I replaced the lens, as it was a headlight and getting a repaired one through the alignment test would have been impossible in my view.....

Thanks, guys. Think I'll chance it, as kbannon suggests. I'm going to have to replace tyres and get a service; just don't feel like handing over another hundred quid for a bit of feckin' plastic! It's impossible to get 'spurious' parts for these things, so everything has to be 'original Seat'... mad.gif

Have you checked German & Swedish?

Is that a parts supplier?

yup. They are a British company with an Irish shop off the Naas Rd.
    www.gsfcarparts.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

GSF is a parts suppliers, they are in Clondalkin. I just had a look at their website and it looks like they don't sell rear light clusters for the Alhmabra, but they do sell them for its sister vehicle the VW Sharan. They're about 32 quid sterling which is good value for a big light cluster. But not much help to you seeing as you have the seat version. It'd be worth ringing them to find out anyway.

Thanks again, lads... Off the top of my head, I'd say £32 for the Sharan light cluster sounds a lot less than your average VW main dealer would quote!

You could also try some scrappies. Start with Treanors up North. Search this forum for their details

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

My last NCT (around 18 months ago) passed, despite a cracked rear brake lens - I'd glued it back together with superglue.

One of the main criteria is no visible white light for rear-facing brake lights, I believe - that will definitely get you failed.

Hadn't heard about the "no sharp edges" rule before, but sounds plausible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd imagine they'd give it a bit of a prodding aswell to make sure it was solid, if it seems loose, or that it might come loose while driving, I'd say it'd be a definite fail.

Advertisement