Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPA Debate

Options
  • 01-09-2005 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

A lot of interest on the web on whether the Environmental Protection Agency is doing, or is able to do its job properly. The Green Party has organised a petition aimed at trying to change and improve the EPA. it can be found on my web site www.danboyle.ie If you aren't able to sign the petition, maybe you might like to take part in the debate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Chalk it Dan!

In the USA, the EPA is taken seriously: up there with the IRS (the taxman).

Look at the paltry fines imposed by the EPA. A few grand? That's not a deterrent.

HUGE FINES are needed. And jail time: I wonder when's the last time (if ever) the Irish EPA prosecuted someone with resulting jail time? That's what's needed!

The EPA lack resources but are also inept. Look at the recent fiascos in Cork harbour. One of which resulted in the EPA saying "the public didn't need to know about it". It's like something of an episode of Fr. Ted.

If this happened in the public sector then heads would roll. I'd like to see some civil servants given the sack over this. Hope, hope.

Check out chaseireland.org for more info on how the EPA have been falling down on the job.

The EPA are a joke. In fact, the whole of Ireland is becoming a bit of a joke...though I suppose if people keep voting for Fianna Fail (or not voting at all) then what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Dan, start a blog!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't do it Dan!

More seriously, and still on the topic of the environment, what's your position on incinerators now Dan? You lost a preference on my ballot card last time because you weren't able to suggest a viable alternative, which I considered bad politics (we want solutions, not more problems pointed out). So, has the Green Party come up with an alternative yet?

Looking forward to a response. Now that would be good politics!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dbtd

Thanks for the responses. On some of the other issues mentioned. The problem with the EPA lies with the legislation that it has to follow. It has from day one been a hamstrung organisation. On incineration I'm sorry you couldn't see fit to give me a preference vote at the last election, especially when all the other candidates said that they too opposed the incinerator. I accept that they were adopting a NIMBY attitude where I oppose, and still oppose incineration. Our waste problem is that we create too much of it, far more than other countries - we reuse less; we recycle less. We first need to reduce waste before we dispose it.

It is a myth that incineration is an end disposal method. It just changes the problem into a different form, largely into air pollution but dangerously into concentrated toxic ash that has to be landfilled. In fact with every waste disposal method waste still has to left in landfill. What we need to do is reduce waste, treat waste that cannot be recycled, and contains the size and duration of landfill sites. There are effective intermediate processes such as the biological treatment of waste, which is proving successful in other places.

The Green Party has a very detailed policy, more than any other political party, and I would be happy to forward it on to you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Dont think the EPA are the big bad people:rolleyes: they are made out to be - com'on the said dumping a few hundred tons of caustic in to Cork Harbour was ok (yeah right!:eek:)

Incinerators - the new ones are more efficient than land fills its proven all over Europe, if they are kept right they burn the equivalent of less 100 * 50gallon drums of rubbish (the ones farmers and people use to burn rubbish in the country sometimes) - i know at least 20 people from the sticks that burn there rubbish in one of these so i just made 20% of the quota.Not getting ............

• Advertisement

dbtd wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. On some of the other issues mentioned. The problem with the EPA lies with the legislation that it has to follow. It has from day one been a hamstrung organisation. On incineration I'm sorry you couldn't see fit to give me a preference vote at the last election, especially when all the other candidates said that they too opposed the incinerator. I accept that they were adopting a NIMBY attitude where I oppose, and still oppose incineration. Our waste problem is that we create too much of it, far more than other countries - we reuse less; we recycle less. We first need to reduce waste before we dispose it.

It is a myth that incineration is an end disposal method. It just changes the problem into a different form, largely into air pollution but dangerously into concentrated toxic ash that has to be landfilled. In fact with every waste disposal method waste still has to left in landfill. What we need to do is reduce waste, treat waste that cannot be recycled, and contains the size and duration of landfill sites. There are effective intermediate processes such as the biological treatment of waste, which is proving successful in other places.

The Green Party has a very detailed policy, more than any other political party, and I would be happy to forward it on to you.
    This is why people don't like politicians Dan. Three paragraphs of a response, one line of which answers the actual question I asked, vaguely. It's very much like watching a repeat of our last conversation in slow motion.

You want a preference on my ballot next time around, try this: Put the same energy - pardon the pun - into outlining exactly what the Green Party will do to solve the waste problem in Cork. Not what other parties will do wrong, not what you oppose, not that there's a problem, not your entire manifesto, just the facts as regards this one critical subject: What is the plan, how will it be implemented, what steps have you already taken towards that end?

Thanks,
    adam

There are a lot of reasons why people don't like politicians. We avoid people as much as we can. When we have to talk we become as evasive and as incoherent as we can. Why should I even argue against these perceptions?

If you want detail that I can't supply maybe these links might help.

http://www.greenparty.ie/en/library

and read our submission to the Dublin Waste Management Plan review. This submission has been modified for every region in the country. I sent in a version in relation to the Cork waste plan review.

http://www.greenparty.ie/en/content/download/954/6455/file/Waste Management (Amendment) Bill 2002.pdf

This link is to a pdf file for private members bill that I introduced. There are limits to private members bill the main one that the opposition cannot intorduce legislation that brings about a cost to the State (that's the government's job). But hopefully it does the policy direction we would like to see things go in.

dbtd wrote:
    There are a lot of reasons why people don't like politicians. We avoid people as much as we can. When we have to talk we become as evasive and as incoherent as we can. Why should I even argue against these perceptions?
    Well, in this case I don't know why you would, since I didn't say you were avoiding people or being incoherent. It could be argued I was saying you were being evasive, but the point I was trying to make was that you simply didn't answer the question I asked with the details I was looking for. Which is, I believe, a reason why people can be put off by politicians.

I appreciate you coming on here, and particularly the fact that you've responded to my posts at all. That's a step forward, you're doing more than most politicians in this regard and I hope others will follow your lead. But with all due respect, you've effectively joined our community to advertise yourself and your party, and if you're going to do that I think we have a right to ask about the product you're selling. Hopefully you'll ride out the bumps.

I'll read over the documents you supplied but I'd like to see your version of the waste plan review for Cork if that's possible; a waste management plan for Dublin and generalised waste management legislation don't really answer my questions either, I'm looking for specific information on my constituency.

If it's not on the Green Party website or your own, you can email it to adam AT beecher DOT net (replacing AT and DOT with the appropriate characters). I'd be happy to host it on my personal website for the reference of others if you'd like.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, I hope you'll stick around.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agree with Daveirl there. I know that the incinerator will produce toxic ash, and that it is mainly going to be used to dispose of commercial and chemical waste, as opposed to domestic (or so I was informed by a cardigan-ed protester on the street)

However, as a short term solution to our waste needs, I see it as a somewhat necessary evil. When I asked the protester about long term waste-management plans, I got stonewalled. I asked about renewed petitioning for a valid recycling system, not this clear plastic bag cráp that is in operation at the moment. This is what I want to see politicians pushing for. A long-term solution to the problem, not short-term hopping on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement

It's taken a while but the petition now only shows names, not email addresses of those who sign their support.

By the way the incinerator will be the first of two planned for Ringaskiddy; one dealing with chemical and one dealing with domestic, all overseen by the EPA should they grant a licence, which they probably.

Otherwise thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to go online when I can, even for those people who don't believe anything I stand for.

News of another petition at www.worldvision.ie The group is running a campaign to challenge the government to meet its Overseas Development Aid committment of 0.7% of GNP by 2010 instead of its new promised target date of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

As a new member to Boards and an active member of another political party, I was surprised that a TD was allowed to set up a thread under the Cork section of boards. Yes it's a great way to promote oneself - or should I say "the cause" - I don't mean to sound negative because it really is the best way to get straight through to the people - find out what they want, get their opinions etc. but if this is the case - then I will advise several of my local representatives i.e. councillors, TD's and MEP's to go directly to Boards too, as I'm sure they would be happy to do so.

But if this was the case, would people soon get fed up of the Party Political Broadcast that was taking place - besides - I thought there was a thread under Social section titled POLITICS??? (If I'm incorrect with what/who is allowed to write - then I apologise in advance). J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I say: bring your political TD friends on and have them engage in debate. See will they dare do so. If posts turn into party political broadcasts the posters here will not tolerate it. They're far from being sheep. Politicians lack engaging in open transparent debates which is a shame. I'd like to see more politicians talking to their public on web forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Thanks Damien - will tell them do so!!! Judes

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Got a "Green Vision" booklet in the letterbox this morning and was wondering how enironmentally friendly that it - all the population of Cork City getting an unrequested political blurb ?

How do I unsubscribe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement