Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding Door Security ??

Options
  • 01-09-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. is there anything out there to stop thieves just lifting the sliding doors of the hinges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Well first they don't have hinges :)

Second there are patio door locks that can be fitted inside the door which will stop the door being lifted as well as adding extra security to stop them being opened. Any lock smith or hardware shop should have them...
    Basically the lock is screwed onto the non moving part of the door and a bolt fits into the sliding door preventing any movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

grand ill check that out nice one m8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Yep bought a Yale patio door lock - €20 ish, drill a few holes and is installed in 20 mins... Can be locked without a key by pushing it in which is handy.

Definitely feel better after locking with usual lock & then clicking extra bolt in - just feels more secure......

grand so u reckon its a safe bet to get it then. im moving into a new house and want that extra security ya know

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Check here for the patio lock. Fitted one in my last house and it worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,171 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have one and I agree they are more secure, problem is you have to pick if you want it inside or outside, then you are stuck with it, you can only access the door from the side its on.
    While installing it this didnt bother me, but having to go around the side entrance gets mighty old, mightly quickly...

why did u put it on the outside? does that not defeat the purpose

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

GreeBo wrote:
    I have one and I agree they are more secure, problem is you have to pick if you want it inside or outside, then you are stuck with it, you can only access the door from the side its on.
    While installing it this didnt bother me, but having to go around the side entrance gets mighty old, mightly quickly...
    lol, i can't believe you'd put it outside. Lucky you don't live in a terreced house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,171 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have it on the inside, but since I go to the shed twice a day for my bike it means I cannot use the back door entrance to my house, as its locked from the inside.
    If you had a sliding door at the front of your house, porch for example would you put it in the inside or outside? :cool:

Knew there had to be a good reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I just fitted one of those locks that are mentioned on sat. 20 mins.
    I think it cost about €15
    2 holes for the unit and one large 12mm hole for the bolt on the sliding part of the door

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

also you can tighten a screw on the main lock receiver where the hook on the door sits into, just limits the freeplay of the door after locking. i also have the deadbolts fitted. cant be too careful!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

blahblah06 wrote:
    Hi guys. is there anything out there to stop thieves just lifting the sliding doors of the hinges?

Properly fitted patio doors should have anti lift blocks fitted to the frame above the door, to prevent lifting up.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hmmmmmmmm,

Not sure if I should say, it's good to see Ya or just plain ignore the Kad in RooKad :)

Just make sure to lock the doors, it used to be a very profitable business removing the doors and side screens for re-sale.

Looking professional made the thieves appear as real workmen, one lot actually received a cup of tea from the neighbour while "working" on next door's house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Rooferpete,

I hope you are not giving away secrets of a mispent youth ....hhhmmmm takes the halloween prank of lifting the neighbours gate to a whole new level. ;)

Of course any determined burglar is going to get in any way. I'm all in favour of a half starved rottweiler, myself.

Yes Rooferpete , I'm back :rolleyes:

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 freezer

can any of ye guys tell me where exactly where i can get a Sliding door Bar??

Advertisement