Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera Vs Seat Leon

Options
  • 01-09-2005 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at changing my car and was wondering what people thought about the Almera or the Seat Leon. I want to know what they are like fuel wise, performance etc. Can anybody let me know what you think? Or if there are any other ideas that you have.

I have got about 10,000 to spend plus my 02 Punto.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What annual mileage do you do and what size engine are you looking for?

The Almera is almighty boring imho. The Seat Leon is just a rebadged VW Golf so it is a solid car. Nicer looking too, but again that's just personal

The TDI diesel range are generally considered the ones to go for but it depends on what you want / need / can afford

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

As Unkel pointed out the Leon is basically a Golf, but you can expect a lot of the extras (electrics, r/c/l, abs, traction control etc) for a lower price than you'd pay for the most basic Golf, so you're getting a lot of car for your money. They look great and drive pretty well too, I've just gotten a 1.4 petrol and am really happy with it. Some people say they're underpowered but I was moving up from a 1l so it seems good enough to me. The 1.6 is meant to be better but they're pretty rare, so a TDi might be your best bet if you want something fast, there is of course the Cupras but insurance could be nasty on one of those.

Don't know much about the Almeras, all I can really say is that the leon is much nicer looking (imho), and I'd be more trusting of a VW than a Nissan (slightly biased again here having had an Ibiza before, and never a nissan).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'm a bit biased towards the Leon aswell as I have the Tdi. Fast car and looks good, my only problem has been that its rather low on standard suspension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Almera is supposed to be extremely reliable according to JD power and reliability index. In one of them it was the fourth most reliable car available.

Leon was only so-so for reliability.

Drove a rental Almera for a month - very floaty at speed on the Autobahn but the guy I was sharing it with thrashed it for the entire month and it didn't complain at all.

Getting about 6.6l per 100KM with said colleague whipping it to within an inch of it's life.

Think carefully before buying a rental car - my colleague thrashed it for the simple reason that he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

stevenmu wrote:
    As Unkel pointed out the Leon is basically a Golf, but you can expect a lot of the extras (electrics, r/c/l, abs, traction control etc) for a lower price than you'd pay for the most basic Golf, so you're getting a lot of car for your money. They look great and drive pretty well too, I've just gotten a 1.4 petrol and am really happy with it. Some people say they're underpowered but I was moving up from a 1l so it seems good enough to me. The 1.6 is meant to be better but they're pretty rare, so a TDi might be your best bet if you want something fast, there is of course the Cupras but insurance could be nasty on one of those.

Don't know much about the Almeras, all I can really say is that the leon is much nicer looking (imho), and I'd be more trusting of a VW than a Nissan (slightly biased again here having had an Ibiza before, and never a nissan).

VW's reliability in the last couple of years doesn't quite live up to it's bullet proof reputation. Saying that I would probably opt for the Leon also especially the Tdi version.

Did you check out the Skoda Octavia? Again this is based on the Golf/Leon platform. The 1.4 is more suited to the Octavia than the other two as it is slightly lighter plus equipement on the Octavia is also better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

my gf has a 04 Almera, grand nippy car, comfie to drive but awful boring. Hasn't had any hassle with it either, the interior is very plasticky...
    I like the leon a lot.

VWs reliability reputation has gone down lately but I think that's mainly due to relatively minor quibbles. Early leons for example had problems with condensation in the light enclosures and water leaking into the footwells, both of which were easily fixed. The Golf platform is pretty well evolved at this stage and solid in terms of serious mechanical problems. Also because of its popularity, being used in the golf itself, the leon, octavias, and I think lots of common parts with audi a3s among others, it's pretty easy to get replacement bits and pieces and repairs done.

Altough like I said, I don't really know anything about the Almeras so I can't contrast it with them in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Yet again, I'm biased towards the Leon as well Was driving one for about a year Parents had one for about 2 years No problems Then they bought a Toledo No probs with that either so can't complain about the TDi Seats.
    Never driven a diesel Almera but have driven a petrol one As twas said ok to drive but tis a boring car. Driven the Gti as well Very nice to drive Haven't had a huge pile to do with the Almera other than this so I'll stop waffling on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

So most of you are going for the Leon. I know it's a nicer looking car (whoever designs the front ends of Seats deserves a raise imo).

Basically I'm looking for a 1.4 engine and am going to be driving around town, not doing too many country runs. I want something to be comfortable enough for passengers to sit in the back without getting dvt because the front seats are too damn close to the back seats! Anyway I've been shopping around and I have been offered 2 deals:

1. my punto (1.2, 3 door, 37k miles) €6750 against an 05 Almera from Windsor with about 8k miles, cost €17395. Cost to me (it's a little out of my budget but it is an 05). It is an ex hire car so I'm not ignoring mailmans warning.

2. €5000 for the punto against an 04 Leon (1.4, 9k miles) €15000. Cost to me €10000. It is an 04 though and I'm looking at resale value in a couple of years.

Any other opinions. I might also look at the Octavia but isn't 1.4 too small for that body?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It has to be the Leon IMHO, I've driven both and I condemn the Almera as the most appalling piece of tripe since the Hyundai Accent. The gearboxes feel like they are a hybrid Lego/Meccano invention, the engines are thrashy, wheezy and powerless and the interior plastics are poorly designed, fit badly and feel awful. By contrast the Leon feels tighter, is a smoother, more involved drive.

At the end of the day you have to put up with it every day for the next while - drive both for a good spin and decide on your preference. Windsor will hire an Almera to you for a day on your own insurance for €40 or so - drive it 100kms and see if you still like it. I'd rather be dragged across a ploughed field by a Land Rover than drive an Almera again. Bleeeeuuuurrggggghhh.

I drove a Leon Cupra and despite the six speed box needed constant input for fast back road progress I liked it a lot - much better than any of the Golf GTI's I've driven. Acres of power, a caramel flavoured torque curve which puts down power from tickover to the redline and beyond.

Edit: Just noticed your comment on the rental - do NOT buy an ex-rental without a serious check-over as they are nearly all banged and abused. Approach with caution or ensure bargain basement pricing. I personally killed two rentals last year.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Basically I'm looking for a 1.4 engine

One of the friends at work has a 1.4l Leon so i'll ask him tomorrow and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So most of you are going for the Leon. I know it's a nicer looking car (whoever designs the front ends of Seats deserves a raise imo).

Basically I'm looking for a 1.4 engine and am going to be driving around town, not doing too many country runs. I want something to be comfortable enough for passengers to sit in the back without getting dvt because the front seats are too damn close to the back seats! Anyway I've been shopping around and I have been offered 2 deals:

1. my punto (1.2, 3 door, 37k miles) €6750 against an 05 Almera from Windsor with about 8k miles, cost €17395. Cost to me (it's a little out of my budget but it is an 05). It is an ex hire car so I'm not ignoring mailmans warning.

2. €5000 for the punto against an 04 Leon (1.4, 9k miles) €15000. Cost to me €10000. It is an 04 though and I'm looking at resale value in a couple of years.

Any other opinions. I might also look at the Octavia but isn't 1.4 too small for that body?

Cheers

Just remember that both the Leon and Almera are now 5 year old designs, new models of both cars are going on sale at the end of this year or early next year. This will affect resale values of the current models so there should be a bit more haggeling to do on the price of both.

Also if you think the Octavia is too big for 1.4 then don't buy a 1.4 Leon as the Leon is actually a heavier car than the Octavia. Both cars use the Golf platform and engines so the Octavia will be just as good around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm driving a brand new Almera at the moment and it is awful for fuel consumption. I'm comparing with a Renault Megane. My fuel bill is up by a third and I'm doing a lot less milage. Feels like I am driving a tank.

If back passenger space is a requirement, it is hard to fault the Octavia. Massive boot as well

Consider buying a brand new one - it's only a couple of grand outside your intended budget. Value for money is unmatched as was proved by it being chosen the No. 1 choice of family car by owners for the 5th year in a row

You get the new model as well which is good when the time comes to sell again

With the 1.4, you won't be overtaking much on national roads but for A to B driving in town it is just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hmm im biased towards the leon myself, my mum has a brand new Almera and its not a patch on a '01 leon. Get a 1.6 at all costs its the best of the range, very good all rounder and tax and insurance isnt bad either, I got about 35 - 40mpg on my one when I had it. I'm on my second one now, and only as I'm doing big mileage I would have never changed it for my Cupra ;) . Still miss that engine and exhaust note, dont mind what the car mag stats say but the 1.6 is good for 0 - 60 in 9 - 10sec's and tops out at 120+ if you've got the road space (in mondello)... ;) happy searching but there's a few out there! try and get the dark metallic ones rather than the emoticon reds etc, as the rubber bumper parts are black and they make the car look a bit naff as there not colour coded.

Great car :cool:

Heres a nice one

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=260770

dont mind what the car mag stats say but the 1.6 is good for 0 - 60 in 9 - 10sec's

0-100km/h in 11.3s according to the manufacturer. In general those figures are very difficult to get close to let alone match unless you are a professional driver in possession of data of the optimal changing moments

11 seconds is not sluggish by any means though. Also the 0-100km/h acceleration stat is not that useful in day-to-day driving

For most folk just doing their daily commute and run to the shops something like 14 seconds is still adequate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭SixShot

Almera's used to be decnet cars in the past thats before there take over The Seat Leon is a good motor however prone to a few problems in saying that now so is the ALmera prone to problems but not as much as Seat so Go Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I have a 03 ibiza and am eagerly awaiting the new leon. I was going to buy a secondhand one until I saw pics of the new leon due either this month (more than likely october).

I reckon it will be either a TDI or the 1.6FSI for me.

Personally I can't fault the seat I have since new, better value than the VW for little extras, but again ... owners are generally biased.

The almera I wouldn't have much time for, looks wise I find quite bland, I drove a rental version in South africa last year and found it very boring and uninteresting to drive.

With all other things being equal I'd prefer an 04 with 9k to an 05 ex-rental with 37k. Not only is there a big mileage difference but I think you'd have to inform future buyers that it's ex-rental too. The big problem with rentals is that everyone drives the bag out of them, the garage could easily have cleaned it up so it'll appear perfect, even to a good mechanic, but there's likely to be excessive wear and tear that'll only be apparent when things start going wrong. (not being Leon biased this time, I'd say the same if it was the other way around)

stevenmu wrote:
    With all other things being equal I'd prefer an 04 with 9k to an 05 ex-rental with 37k. Not only is there a big mileage difference but I think you'd have to inform future buyers that it's ex-rental too. The big problem with rentals is that everyone drives the bag out of them, the garage could easily have cleaned it up so it'll appear perfect, even to a good mechanic, but there's likely to be excessive wear and tear that'll only be apparent when things start going wrong. (not being Leon biased this time, I'd say the same if it was the other way around)

Steve,

the ex rental has only 8k, my punto has 37k. Still I think you're right about the rest of the rental thing i.e. wear and tear down the road :rolleyes: . Also didn't know that there was newer models coming out soon. Will check out the Octavia too.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

this is the details I have on the new model leon:

UK Model Range Power (PS) Launch Pricing
    1.6 Essence 102 £11,295
    1.6 Reference 102 £11,995
    1.6 Stylance 102 £12,995
    2.0 16V FSI Reference Sport 150 £14,220
    2.0 16V FSI Stylance 150 £15,320
    2.0 16V FSI Stylance Tiptronic 150 £15,995
    2.0 16V TFSI Sport 185 TBA
    1.9 TDI PD Reference 105 £12,995
    1.9 TDI PD Stylance 105 £13,995
    2.0 16V TDI Reference Sport 140 £14,995
    2.0 16V TDI PD Sport 140 £16,495
    2.0 16V TDI PD DSG Sport 140 £17,295

new leon site

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I would agree with the suggestion to have a look at a (brand) new octavia. It is a new design of car and obviously it won't have been thrashed and will come with a full manufacturers warranty.

You'll probably get a better trade in with your Punto vs a new car than vs the 05 almera or 04 leon that you mentioned. It might end up being within your budget. Another approach would be to sell the Punto privately, buy a new Octavia in a straight deal and haggle a good discount off list price (this is assuming that skoda are not operating an "open book" pricing policy)

Either way, if you keep it a few years and look after it, it will serve you well and depreciaton will not be a major issue.

Disadvantages of the Octavia - IMO it doesn't look great and the 1.4 litre engine is too small for the car. The new octavia is a bit heavier than the old one or the old Golf/Leon. 0-60 takes 15.5 seconds which is damn slow but is OK if you're not a keen driver.

BrianD3 wrote:
    buy a new Octavia in a straight deal and haggle a good discount off list price (this is assuming that skoda are not operating an "open book" pricing policy)

They're game. Bought an Octavia for my mother-in-law about 2.5 years ago. 1.4 Ambiente + Remote Alarm and Central Locking and metallic paint. "Open book" price €19k, got it for €17k

That's probably as good as it gets on the fairly low margin lower end models. It was quarter end (bonus time) and I got the feeling I couldn't have squeezed another €1 out of him :)

Just went to the garage today to see about buying the Leon and it was gone! :mad: It was only in the garage less than a week. It wasn't one of you guys was it? :rolleyes:

Seriously though it was a beauty Check it out. (I don't know how long the link will be there seeing as the car is sold but hey).

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=319290&ID=548160&NumPics=1&Make=Seat&Model=Leon&frmFilter=Year

I'll just have to keep my eyes open. Cheers for all your help anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

The Leon is a class/stylish car, especially the diesels. They look class in black. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'll just have to keep my eyes open. Cheers for all your help anyway.

as far as I know there's a 1.8T (180 BHP) for sale, black 02 in Dublin. Check out the car sites. Their very rare and around the 16k budget that you would have spent on the 1.4. I seen the car and was really thinking about changing over to the petrol but the prices of petrol nowadays.....

Advertisement