Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Files fom laptop on pc

• 01-09-2005 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi, this is a general sort of question. I set up a friends house with wireless broadband and arranged their laptop to be able to get files from the pc but it only occured to me when it happened that there is no way for the pc to get files from the laptop. To do this the laptop would need a router and the pc would need a network adapter or something like that yes? Its not very inportant but just making sure im not missing out on way to make it work as it is now. Any info would be great
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Why wouldn't you be able to get files from the laptop? Works both ways if set up correctly.

To make life easy, make sure they all on same Workgroup. Properties of my computer, you'll find it in there.
    I take it they are all on same IP range as the laptop can get files from the PC.
    If you are running Win98 enable filesharing in TCP/IP. Then right click on your Folder/Drive you want to share and select sharing. Same for XP and rest of Win OS's.

I take it you have a standard network set up and not a weird file fetch program thingy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I'm no whiz at this so i assume its all normal, both on XP, normal eircom router and the laptop is an acer that picks up on the signal. It works both ways? so the pci card(or the like) transmits data and a router can recieve it too? I set it up using the control panel wirless network setup thing with a flash drive. The laptop has the PC in its network neighbourhood but the desktop cant "see" the laptop.
    Cheers for your interest, would be great if i could help them do more

Ok try this.
    On the laptop click start and select run. Type 'cmd' in the box and hit enter/ok.
    A dos command black window will open. In it type ipconfig and hit enter.
    This will show you your IP Setup.
    You will see a heading with Local Area connection int it. Take not of the numbers after the IP Address. Should be something like 192.168.x.x

Open a folder in your desktop computer and in the address bar type \\192.168.x.x
    (what ever IP the laptop has, the one you took note of)
    This should then go into the laptop. Make sure you have a folder shared like i said above in my other post.

Just see if this works. I jsut hope you don't have a DHCP server (I'll let you know about that in another post)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Sure ill give it a try. Since its my friends house and im going into leaving cert for the year tomorrow i dotn know when ill have a chance to try it out but def will. Ya there is a shared folder(shared documents) so it should work from the sounds of it. Thanks a million for that!

No prob. Best of luck in your leaving cert year. I just done mine last year. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement