Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the Sticks

• 01-09-2005 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

hello all, trying to help out someone I know who is starting an online college course in a couple of weeks. She has just moved into a new house, without a phone line, and says she does not really want the additional expense of line rental. Could anyone offer any alternative suggestions for getting broadband. She lives a bit out in the country and it would be borderline if she could get BB through a phone line even if she had one. Looking into irish broad band, but any other ideas. Thanks alot
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

john_g83 wrote:
    hello all, trying to help out someone I know who is starting an online college course in a couple of weeks. She has just moved into a new house, without a phone line, and says she does not really want the additional expense of line rental. Could anyone offer any alternative suggestions for getting broadband. She lives a bit out in the country and it would be borderline if she could get BB through a phone line even if she had one. Looking into irish broad band, but any other ideas. Thanks alot
    John

Wireless or Satellie (satellite may be expensive for her though...)

Where is she living?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/Group+Broadband+Scheme/

Government sponsored rural broadband schemes are being setup through wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

The Community Broadband scheme seems kinda dead in the Water, there was a huge rush to get the applications in to the government for approval, the government were then meant to give a ya or nae at the start of August, which has gone and passed and now I've been informed it's the start of Sept. I'm waiting for September to go wooshing by as well..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Junior wrote:
    The Community Broadband scheme seems kinda dead in the Water, there was a huge rush to get the applications in to the government for approval, the government were then meant to give a ya or nae at the start of August, which has gone and passed and now I've been informed it's the start of Sept. I'm waiting for September to go wooshing by as well..
    Um... what?

The deadline for receipt of completed proposals was April 28. The first batch of approved projects were announced on June 25, with others announced in phases over the following months. There will probably be more announced in the coming weeks, and there's a good chance that there will be a third call for proposals this month.

So, what exactly did you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

There was a second round of Proposals which was due a few months back - I don't have the date to hand, there was a week of meetings throught County Waterford explaining the schemes, whom the approved providers were etc. The submitted proposals were to be approved or denied, and the parties involved were to be informed if they had got approval by the 1st August. This deadline has since passed and I've been told by the regional Co-Ordinator for the South East area that it's probably going to be Sept. before we get word back.

Considering the deadly silence within the region on this project I wouldn't be surprised if sept. goes wooshing by ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement