Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Proof of Purchase??

Options
  • 01-09-2005 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering about this - my friend has a problem with something he purchased and he reckons that even though he's lost his receipt he will still be able to get a replacement. Now I'm not exactly sure if he's right. Not sure he's wrong either, but that's where u guys come in. please tell me what you think and if possible please give details of similar situations you have been in and with what shops. Thanks in advance.

now according to
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/consumer_rights_and_protection/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

"you should make sure you have a proof of purchase"

but I'm still unsure after reading the oasis page whether or not it is possible to get any replacement without a receipt telling where he bought it, even if he does have all the paperwork and the box that came with the item.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

if u buy something in HMV could you get it replaced in virgin? No. Thats why proof of purchase is required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

you Do Need Proof Of Purchase To Return An Item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Also depends on the item in question! It's obviously easier to sort out a problem with an item that has a serial number etc. than a CD that could be bought anywhere at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Exactly. it's a laptop, which is why it's a grey area for me. But because it's pricy I thought he didn't have much hope

A laptop has a serial number which gives it traceability. The serial number will also give you the year of manufacture. I would bet that if you went back to your retailer they will be establish very rapidly that they sold you the laptop and when. Failing that, have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly? Bear in mind you should have a one year warranty on the product. However, it is most likely that they will attempt to repair the unit rather than replace it. For example if the DVD drive is not working they will replace the drive and send you back the original laptop with the new drive fitted. It is rarely a case of automatic replacement of the entire unit

I have also found that the larger UK multiples are not interested in warranty issues and will fob you off to the manufacturer (unless you have purchased one of their expensive extended warranty polices).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Firstly, thanks to all for their comments.

Secondly, BrianD, I haven't contacted anyone as it's not my laptop and I've enough of my own things to be doing.

And as far as repair is concerned I think all parts involved are easily repaired, as I originally suspected. Thanks again to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A receipt is proof of where you bought it. Why should a shop incur a cost on somethign they didnt sell in the first place? If thats the case, why does anyone return items to online retailers where they bought them instead of just going into a shop and demanding service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Stekelly wrote:
    A receipt is proof of where you bought it. Why should a shop incur a cost on somethign they didnt sell in the first place? If thats the case, why does anyone return items to online retailers where they bought them instead of just going into a shop and demanding service?

Exactly. Of course you need proof of purchase. Can't just find an ipod on the bus, go into 3G and say i'd like a refund please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

So long as the problem he has with the laptop is that it's broken, whoever sold it to him has to fix/replace it, within I dunno, a year? I'm sure you'd find that detail on Oasis.

Like BrianD explained, he can prove where he bought it without having a receipt, so he's grand.

It'd be a different story if he just changed his mind about liking it, then it'd be up to the shop to offer him something if they want.

Stekelly wrote:

The proof of purchase is not necessarily a requirement but it is put into law to protect both the consumer and the retailer. It does establish that retailer A sold a product to Buyer B in the event there is a dispute about the date of sale or who sold it. In the case discussed here, it is assumed that it is genuine and he/she will be returning to the original retailer.

It really depends on the business relationship that exists and the type of goods in question. High ticket items generally have serial numbers and are better traced, are likely to be registered for warranty etc. So a receipt or invoice is not always necessary but obviously useful.
    Can't just find an ipod on the bus, go into 3G and say i'd like a refund please.
    This is not a good example! It's unlikely that any one would give you a refund including the original seller!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jammer wrote:
    Exactly. Of course you need proof of purchase.
    Proof of purchase need not necessarily be a receipt, although in practice a receipt gets you the most mileage. Legally proof is the same as evidence, all you need is for your proof to trump their proof - its called the "balance of evidence".
    Jammer wrote:
    Can't just find an ipod on the bus, go into 3G and say i'd like a refund please.
    But phone companies don't do refunds "just like that". There is no obligation on anyone selling something to take something back just because you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BrianD wrote:
    It really depends on the business relationship that exists and the type of goods in question. High ticket items generally have serial numbers and are better traced, are likely to be registered for warranty etc. So a receipt or invoice is not always necessary but obviously useful.!

Where I work we sell laptops. These haveseriel numbers but we dont take note of these, so when a customer comes back we have no way of telling if it was bought from us. Now it may be possible to find out through the manufacturer if the laptop was sold to our company, but this would involve a LOT of chasing up and peoples time,thus costing money. Why should this cost be incurred by the shop/manufacturer, when the customer was given a receipt in the first place, which everyone knows they have to keep.

other things that get my goat is people bringing stuff back with no box or a totally tattered box and expecting to exchange the item or get a refund, then having a fit when they are told that it would have to be "as sold".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Other possible options for proof of purchase are a cheque stub or a credit card payment. The onus is on your friend to prove it was purchased at the particular shop. Oasis

Before worrying about trawling through old credit card statements, the best thing for him to do is to go to the manager of the shop immediately and see if they help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I worked in Currys in the north, I know but it was a long time ago.

We often had customers looking for refunds but they did not have a receipt. There were a number of things we could & had to do to help them.

If they paid by credit card we could search for the transaction by credit card number. We could also track cheques reasonably easily. If they paid by cash it was harder. We had to manually search transactions during the period when they "thought" they had bought it.

I do not think we were obliged to do this but we did anyway.

MrP

Stekelly wrote:
    Where I work we sell laptops. These haveseriel numbers but we dont take note of these, so when a customer comes back we have no way of telling if it was bought from us. Now it may be possible to find out through the manufacturer if the laptop was sold to our company, but this would involve a LOT of chasing up and peoples time,thus costing money. Why should this cost be incurred by the shop/manufacturer, when the customer was given a receipt in the first place, which everyone knows they have to keep.

Depends on the level of customer service you offer! The onus is on the customer to prove the purchase. However, if the retailer values his/her customer who has a bona fide problem, the checking of a credit card transaction or your invoicing system will turn it up pretty fast.

BTW I find it odd as a laptop retailer that you are not tracking serial numbers and have no way of knowing your customers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

From a retailer.

If it is an electronic item and still under manufacturer's warranty, then your friend will not require a proof of purchase as the manufacturer will know when the product was made & delivered to the retailer. - In computers retailers would rarely have more than a couple of weeks stock due to the changing nature of the business.

For all other goods, proof of purchase can include credit card receipt / bank laser details, retail branding (e.g. St Bernard comes only from Dunnes)

However, only if an item is faulty and beyond repair / replacement does the retailer need to give a refund. If the item is opened / used in anyway and not faulty you will rarely if ever get a refund. If the item is in original packaging and you have proof of purchase many retailers will provide a refund as a matter of courtesy but NOT as a right to the consumer. (and rarely after 30 days)

Then if an item is bought at full price and when returned to the store the item has been reduced, the retailer, if they are willing to give a refund, need only refund at the new lower price.

- In case your think I'm a bit mean, I offer a 30 day return / refund policy upon goods being in their original packaging & a receipt / proof of purchase is provided. (The original receipt is also required by tax officials when doing an inspection)

Advertisement