Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th year holiday

Options
  • 01-09-2005 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

We're trying to get ours sorted out now. We want to go somewhere fun but not full of English lager louts or scumbags, mainly scumbags. Where did you all go? Any recommendation?

BTW Not a chance of us going to Crete, and most people won't go to Greece either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 killermonkey

i went to eastern europe with my friends interrailing. 5 countries, sights ranging from charles bridge to budapest parliament to auschwitz-birkenau concentration camp, beach holiday for the last 3 days, dirt cheap accommodation - had 19days of fun, cheap drink, sightseeing and amazing memories all for 1100euro. meanwhile half of our school year is in santa ponsa. in under 2 weeks they have already spent 1500euro. they go clubbing every night with all the same irish ppl from home, many of them are ill cos of the amount of drink theyve taken and they havent even seen the sun yet. some ppl love that, the choice is yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Funkstard wrote:
    BTW Not a chance of us going to Crete, and most people won't go to Greece either.

Eh, why?? As long as you stick together I think you'll be fine. I know its probably due to that teen getting raped a few weeks ago, but that happens anywhere.

I was in Hersonissos in July. Best holiday ever!! I'd really recomend it

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

meanwhile half of our school year is in santa ponsa. in under 2 weeks they have already spent 1500euro. they go clubbing every night with all the same irish ppl from home, many of them are ill cos of the amount of drink theyve taken and they havent even seen the sun yet. some ppl love that, the choice is yours...

What school is that if you dont mind me asking?? I know a load of people who went to Santa Ponsa aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Loads of people have gone to crete. We went to belgium instead and it was deadly. Apparently, loads of people who've gone off to crete wanna come back cause it's so ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

i went to eastern europe with my friends interrailing. 5 countries, sights ranging from charles bridge to budapest parliament to auschwitz-birkenau concentration camp, beach holiday for the last 3 days, dirt cheap accommodation - had 19days of fun, cheap drink, sightseeing and amazing memories all for 1100euro...

Sounds freakishly identical to what I did this summer.... But interrailing is your best bet, it will be easier to get accommodation this time of year (not that it was a problem in July when I went) since the high season is ending. Eastern europe is cheap to get to and cheap to live in and offers a wealth of sights, delcious beers, foods, interesting people, and great clubs and pubs! All you need is some money, a rail pass, a backpack and a sense of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Funkstard wrote:
    most people won't go to Greece either.
    That's a shame, cos Greece is such a beautiful country - yes, even Crete, we went there on a family holiday when I was younger and it was one of my favourite holidays, it's dirt cheap and the food's great adn there's loads of realy interesting things to see. It's a pity it's been hijacked by knacker holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

tbh I'd love to go interrailing, but none of my friends want to do it. They all think its a required right of passage to spend the whole summer working and piss it all away on a two week bender. If I founf people who'd want to go backpacking around Europe I'd go in a shot, but everyone seems hell-bent on doing the 2 week thing.

Also, the reason no-one will go to Crete or Greece is that they fully believe they'll get raped if they go over. I say Greece and the first thing they say is rape. Bullshít so it is!

Loads of people have gone to crete. We went to belgium instead and it was deadly. Apparently, loads of people who've gone off to crete wanna come back cause it's so ****e.

A friend went to Playa Del Ingles and came back a week early because he hated it so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I went to hersonisses last year and two obviously gay blokes pulled up beside me and a mate on their moped and kept threating to rape us!! we had to leg it.Then a spanish 20 year old guy staying at our apartments was raped while on his way home.

Im never going back there, worst holiday i ever had. And the place is full of gay blokes, now i have nothing against them, but id rather be surrounded by women myself.

Anyway, id recommend Ayia Napa. Its expensive, but there is little scum and its a great place for a fun time. been there 3 times and am going back on Sunday gor another week.

Thats where everyone wants to go. I like that its expensive because it means it'll be at least a little better than the other places. What nationalities are mainly there? Is it any different to Gran Canaria, Majorca etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Raghallaigh

Prime Time are doing a special on the 6th Year Holiday tomorrow night on RTE 1 at 9.30pm should be interesting !!!! I would have a look if i were you !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Prime Time are doing a special on the 6th Year Holiday tomorrow night on RTE 1 at 9.30pm should be interesting !!!! I would have a look if i were you !

I doubt they'll be covering the "best LC holiday place to go" though. I'd imagine it'll just be talking about drugs and excessive drink that can be applied to any number of scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hehe... You really wonder if they just play the same tape of people dancing in badly lit rooms and just change all the captions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Dont go to ibiza. You'll have fun wherever you go, but you'd be better if you went to canaries or some such place. Gran Canaria would be fine. Also too big a group might **** it up a little too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Raghallaigh

grimloch wrote:
    I doubt they'll be covering the "best LC holiday place to go" though. I'd imagine it'll just be talking about drugs and excessive drink that can be applied to any number of scenarios.

Yeah thats exactly what they are covering but i think it will be very interesting to watch it and see what everyone says !

Well we have Ayia Napa booked pretty much - 45 of us in one apartment place with a 24hr bar!

So far these are the schools going, or so I've been told

Holy Child Killiney
    Lorreto Foxrock
    Mount Anville
    Coláiste Íosagáin
    Blackrock
    Michaels
    Coláiste Eoin
    CBC Monkstown
    Gonzaga
    Clonkeen

Mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

add snoby gerards to that lst my friend just told me thats where her year are goin too!! she just told me it €600 for flights and accom for two week personally i think that really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Inter-railing is the way...

did anyone watch that prime time thing!! :eek: lets hope no ones parents did!lol! good luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

d4gurl wrote:
    did anyone watch that prime time thing!! :eek: lets hope no ones parents did!lol! good luck guys!

There was a newspaper article or two recently which I assume can be compared to that programme, although I didn't actually watch it myself.

My parental units weren't overly impressed with the shenanigans that go on.

U just tell them ull be good :rolleyes: and that your not like those hooligans :D

• Advertisement

Haha, I watched the programme with my parents. My mom just sat there with a shocked look on her face throughout.

Did anyone hear the jock talking, he was effing hilarious

"It's a savage good time here, absolutely savage. Savage. Its unbelievably savage goys"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very tame for prime time, I was surprised. "Reports of date rape and male rape". FFS. In other words, people got too drunk to remember having sex.

All of it pointed purely to the same social issues we've been having for the last 20 years. If anyone is going to Greece, just remember that the alcohol you buy is often watered down or "supplemented" with some locally-brewed ****e.

I would advise (for next year), that if you're going to bother going on a 6th year holiday, go somewhere that's hot and full of booze, but that's not a complete dive. Aya Napa, Santa Ponca and Magaluf are big no-nos, they're just ****holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

seamus wrote:
    "rape"

A little tip about that, When you're taking a slash (guys) in the urinal, make sure the rest ur arm on the wall in front of your forehead, then rest ur head on your forearm, this is somethign you should always do anywhere. Otherwise someone could come up from behind you and push your head from behind which will smack your head against the wall, thus knocking you out. Which will lead to some bad stuff.

Do you understand what I mean, if you don't just ask again, it could save your life.

to the guy that said ayia napa is crap, for the 6th yr holiday thing its the best place to go.
    Been to magaluf, santa ponsa, hersonisses, ibiza, turkey and portugal and napa is the least sleaziest, they have standards over there that are obeyed. there are plenty of police around and the 6weeks of my life spent there i have yet to see a fight, unlike the other mentioned places.
    There are actually bouncers around the place who are in straight away if shi t starts to happen.
    I find the crowed to be a little older aswell, maybe early 20s rather than 16,17,18 yr olds.

It has a huge range of nationalties rather than one or two , incl. plenty of scandanavians, swiss, danish, english, scots, irish, croatians and israeilis and italians. All of who i have met over the last week.
    i love the place and im sure the bloke going with 45 mates will have the time of his life....

Ha, thats what I want to hear!! /\/\/\

Is there really that many different nationalities? Thats great, scandinavian women make me feel funny inside, and it'll be great to not only see the same people you see in Bondi every week. Also, I'm glad there's more of a security presence than other places, Hersonissis gave the impression that it was just lawless. That place looks like a complete kip.

Cannot ****ing wait for this holiday!

Funkstard wrote:
    Ha, thats what I want to hear!! /\/\/\

Is there really that many different nationalities? Thats great, scandinavian women make me feel funny inside, and it'll be great to not only see the same people you see in Bondi every week. Also, I'm glad there's more of a security presence than other places, Hersonissis gave the impression that it was just lawless. That place looks like a complete kip.

Cannot ****ing wait for this holiday!

Well how did you get on? Think its a good place?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 buttercup87

I did my leaving cert last year and we went to Ipsos in Corfu for two weeks at the end of July/beginning of August.
    I spent less than €1000. We ate out every night, drank as much as we wanted and bought all the presents we needed and still came home with a few bob!
    We didnt sleep for the two weeks cause we worshipped the sun aswell. If you want a good holiday, try Corfu. Even if there's only a small group, its still mad craic cause you meet so many people over there!
    I'd HIGHLY recommend Corfu.......
    Oh, and I went to Tenerife for a week aswell..... was really good for the nightlife but the day time was no where near as good as Corfu...
    It really depends on what type of holiday you're looking for!

Er, I haven't gone yet! Going August 20th 2006 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 buttercup87

You haven't gone on your Leaving Cert holiday and I'm supposing you've done your leaving!@???!!! OH MY GOD! You're gonna miss out on all the real buzz!!! Like I went before the results to take my mind off it and get away from all the stress! and then after the results to celebrate!! Thats the whole point!!!! Ah well, a holiday is a holiday at the end of the day! ;)

• Advertisement

No, jesus, I'm only in 6th year now

Advertisement