Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While everyone is in reviewing mood . . .

Options
  • 01-09-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Finished this site over a month ago but have been adding some new features recently.

Would appreciate any comments, especially if they're of the "I like the site!" sort :D

Seriously, any comments . . .

http://www.farmingtheworld.com

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I like the site!

validate html
    validate css

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

pretty damn cool, have you got many people signing-up for their own websites yet?
    Or is that one of the new features?
    Did you develop the whole thing completly from scratch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

Or is that one of the new features?

Yeah, I completed the build your own sites thing just yesterday, one person has set up a site so far.
    Did you develop the whole thing completly from scratch?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nice site, good work! A couple of small HCI issues (like "where do I click" syndrome in the pages where you break the results down by country) .. but good job!
    .cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

very good..I like it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fluent

Sweet site, clean, quick and easy to navigate
    would maybe decrease the opicity on squares overlay a bit, would make images stand out a bit more along with titles, maybe a bit more color throughout also... great work though, hats off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Generally nice. Your AdSense ads are below the fold. That's not a good idea if you want people to click on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I like it. Whats the dealy with the site knowing I'm in Greece? I have a wee Greek flag up top and no Greek news stories on the right. Is that a future thing or are there just no Greek articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

nice site.

The site detects what country you are in and gives you quick links to all content from that country, it obviously looks better when you come in from Ireland or one of the other countries that has loads of ads and news articles.

Nice to see the country detection working, all I can tell is that it works if you are in Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Gordon wrote:
    I like it. Whats the dealy with the site knowing I'm in Greece? I have a wee Greek flag up top and no Greek news stories on the right. Is that a future thing or are there just no Greek articles?

If you are looking to do country detection, you can use Maxmind's GeoIP Database. It's free and it works perfectly. It has a couple of minor limitations which are listed on the site, but to the average site it wouldn't really make any difference.

I used http://ip-to-country.webhosting.info/ for the country detection. It's also free and its very easy to set up. All the help on the site is for setting it up using PHP and mySQL but running it with SQL server 2000 and asp is straight forward enough(that's the way I'm using it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The Geo-IP stuff usually falls over a bit with ISPs like UTV :)

Nice site - I don't like the left-alignment as I end up with loads of space on the right, but that's probably more of a personal thing than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah that's cool, nice one.

Advertisement