Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

things to do in Galway

• 01-09-2005 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

A few of us from cork are thinking of spending a few days up in Galway just chilling out and doing nothing in particular, going for a few drinks, that sort of thing. So what is there to do in Galway city? What pubs, which play good music (rock/metal) and have a good atmosphere, should we go to? Anyone know of a hostel/b&b up around there which is reasonably cheap?

Anything else cool around the area as we have a car as well?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

an ok start is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280266

i would think sally longs is the only place that has metal music in there...dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

i was in cuba last saturday night the dj was playin rock all night, rage metallica system of a down thrown in with kaiser chiefs the frames, good night worth checkin out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sallys like Tar said is damn good for proper rock on wednesdays (usually get some bands that night 2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Nice one lads, keep the suggestions coming! What else is there to do around Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Wine Tastings. Go into one of the speciality shops (theres one near the corn store)

The WestWood has wiskey tastings from time to time. 20e enterance, and you can sample some of the nicest whiskeys around.

Theatre

Cinema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

sound_wave wrote:
    Nice one lads, keep the suggestions coming! What else is there to do around Galway?

mushrooms???! ;)

I made a lovely mushroom salad with them mushies.

Twas teh win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Try the Bierhaus on Dominick street. I'm almost certain they got the old jukebox from Sally Long's, and the beer is without fault. :)

Sometimes though they have a DJ in there who plays rubbish, far too loudly for such a small bar*. Avoid on "going out" nights, like Thursday and Saturday, and you'll probably be fine.

*If you happen to be reading- IT IS NOT A CLUB. There are NOT 500+ people in there all trying to shout above eachother while getting sloshed on watered down fermented horsepiss. Your role is background music. BACKGROUND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Upstairs, Richardson's, near the top corner of Eyre Square (not the Abrakebabra side).
    Venue for local bands. Stuff on some nights, look for posters in chippers and places.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you could try bowling,pool,snooker and the arcade games out beside tesco in terryland or go swimming in salthill.

''the dj was playin rock all night, rage metallica system of a down ''

when i was there yesterday this shocked me,well done cuba....i could stand you for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

thanks lads, that should serve most of needs, especially the mushrooms :D

I think we should get a few days out of it anyway.

There's a wine tasting on tomorrow (saturday) in Woodburys (near the corn store) for most of the days. Australian / New Zeland wines I think.

I'll be there for a bit, sampling the delights they have to offer.

I wonder if they will be giving out palete clensers.

Advertisement