Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do England have a team capable of qualifying for the World Cup?

• 01-09-2005 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment, I think this is a very valid question. They are currently 2 points behind leaders Poland, who albeit have a game more played. However, its points in the bag whats important, not potential points. They also have to play Poland in England, so its no foregone conclusion.

Add to that, the fact the stability they had of Seaman in goal is missing, John Terry is out for the next few weeks, Rio aint playing great since his return, Campbell isnt playing with Arsenal, and Carragher has yet to really prove himself at international level. That doesnt auger well for them.

And finally, Sven is talking about playing an unconventional 4-5-1 formation in the next game(s), a formation which Ive never seen work in an attacking sense at international level.

So, before talking about can Englen win the world cup, lets talk about their qualifying capability.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Easily.

They have beaten Poland already in Poland. So they only need a draw at home. If it still matters at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

what is this new 4-5-1 attacking formation then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Joe Cole...Gerrard...Beckham...Lampard...Wright-Philips

Rooney

Dunno about the back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I reckon if they finish second they'll be one of the best runners up anyway, I don't think there'll be a play-off team from that group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will they qualify? Yes. The 4-5-1 formation looks like a one off as Owen can't play Wales. I'd say it was wasted on a bunch of hoofers like Wales anyway.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

In short,yes they do,although they will not win it.Their strength's lie in their strikeforce and midfield,their faults lie in defence and goalkeeper,COME ON WALES :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

They will qualify but wont chalenge for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

jonny68 wrote:
    In short,yes they do,although they will not win it.Their strength's lie in their strikeforce and midfield,their faults lie in defence and goalkeeper,COME ON WALES :D
    Eh? Their defence is amazing + Robinson is a fantastic keeper.

I think you'll find their problems are in midfield where they have no natural defensive central midfielder and no natural left winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I heard on the radio last night that the players are picking the team for Sven. WHen you hear stuff like that you know either England are going to have a big diaster soon or Sven will be fired. Maybe both. I cant wait to watch, it will be hillarious :D

Why isnt carragher the holding midfielder then ? none of those midfielders are holding midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

jubbly wrote:
    Why isnt carragher the holding midfielder then ? none of those midfielders are holding midfielders.

Neither is Carragher, Hamann is the holding midfielder at Liverpool.

Of course England will qualify from their group, from the very beginning the competition in that group was what order Poland and England would be. I don't think they are going to be one of the best runners up (right now I'd say it'll be Czech Republic/Holland or Portugal/Slovakia/Russia) and there are a few other tough teams challenging for second spot - any of the top four in our group, Greece, Ukraine, Sweden, Turkey.

The play offs are by no means a foregone conculsion, as we well know,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jubbly wrote:
    or Sven will be fired
    He won't be fired as it will cost the FA too much in compensation.
    jubbly wrote:
    Carragher isn't a midfielder he's a defender that's why.

Unless of course you mean't Carrick?

B.

Advertisement