Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help using Ntl broadband and an eircom wifi router

• 01-09-2005 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Im in a bit of a fix. i have ntl broadband (cable modem) and i have a cayman 3347w (eircom's netopia) wifi modem router.

id like to use the netopia as wifi router so as to use wifi in the appart but i can get it to work. obviously the router has a dsl (modem line) in and 4 lan ports out but well, cant get wan working since ethernet cable out of the ntl cable modem.

now the thing is, my flatmate had got this working before summer, but he wont be around for another month and im not sure how he did it. i think he connected it to the lan port 1, but i cannot emulate that unfortunately.

Would anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The cayman 3347w is an ADSL router so I'm surprised your flatmate was able to get it going with Cable Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I agree with masterk, how the hell did he do that!

try this:-

1. get NTL powercycled and wait for green lights
    2. plug the NTL into the main port on the router
    3. plug the router into the LAN port on your PC with cable
    4. open IE and try to config the router settings as per your manual 192.168.0.1 may be the router address
    5 make sure you try IP auto select
    6 dicsonnect your PC
    7 test wireless on your wireless device

once again I'm suprise he got it working ! my router is DSL and Cable enabled! works fine with both technlogies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

well, yeah, when i got down to try and get it working myself, i got really surprised how he did it. Anyway, the netopia doesnt have a Lan port in, its a phone cable in, so i dont really know how to connect the ethernet jack from the cable modem to the modem router.

I talked to the guy by text and he said he had plugged it in the lan port 1. Go figure, that really baffled me, coz i have NO clue how he managed that.

still isnt working and ive tried a lot of things in the adsl modem router config. cheers for trying to help...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You won't be able to use the ADSL router with NTL, unless one of it's LAN ports can be configured to be a WAN (uplink) port. I have never heard of any ADSL router allowing you to do this.

You will probably need to get a new wireless router, one without a modem and with a uplink port, any from this page will work fine:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?catid=2&l=1&cnL1=NTL/Telewest&PcatIDL1=2

Advertisement