Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSP Dead Pixels anyone?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope, they said dead pixels were a part of how great the PSP is. They then said that you should play your PSP for a bit and if it doesn't annoy you then don't bring it back but if it does then you should bring it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

A dead pixel isn't considered a fault in any LCD from any manufacturer. And there's no such thing as a make of LCD that's immune to them either, dead pixels don't automatically mean poor quality.

However, if it's bothering you though I'd say the shop would take it back and you might have a case for saying its not of 'merchantable quality', if you complain loud enough they'll acommodate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i got mine in hmv and it does annoy me at times. would they take it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

The amount of abuse suffered to take back the first one by the staff in Xtravision was unreal. The guy turned it on, held it as close to his face as he could and said "I can't see any dead pixels", I mean WTF, it was like a collection of white confetti on the screen. I won't be sending my SECOND faulty PSP back to Sony, as page 13 in the PSP manual quite simply states that "LCD's are a highly precise technology, red, green or blue dots on the screen does not indicate a fault" WHAT THE ****!?! Sony are admitting their cheap ass outsourcing techniques in the manual for christs sake, they are hardly going to replace it for me if they believe it's a design point to have dead pixels!. Nintendo got the right idea by saying they themselves would replace a DS unit with so much as ONE dead pixel, free of charge. I get the impression that this is Sony's superior/smug attitude in blazenly admitting their serious flaws and expecting customers to grin and bare it after parting with the best part of three hundred big ones. Shame on you Sony, I hope this attitude pays off in the future (i.e. **** you Mr Customer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Actually, I checked again. In America they said they'd take it back with one dead pixel. They haven't released their official policy here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Laguna wrote:
    Nintendo got the right idea by saying they themselves would replace a DS unit with so much as ONE dead pixel, free of charge. I get the impression that this is Sony's superior/smug attitude in blazenly admitting their serious flaws and expecting customers to grin and bare it after parting with the best part of three hundred big ones. Shame on you Sony, I hope this attitude pays off in the future (i.e. **** you Mr Customer)

That's completely untrue. I'm stuck with a DS with two dead pixels. Nintendo of AMERICA said they'd replace DS's with one dead pixel. This is a) unprecedented among any LCD manufacturers and b) NOT the view of Nintendo outside America. And guess what, Sony of AMERICA did exactly the same thing. They only did it because Nintendo did it but to say their service is worse is just rubbish.

I have an e-mail in my inbox from Nintendo where they justify themselves not replacing my DS by listing a pile of other manufacturers along with their official policies when it comes to dead pixels. Nobody treats the issue any differently to Sony does. Here's some of the e-mail:
    Nokia is only replacing their 6600 phone when there are more than 3 dead pixels on the screen, and about PC monitors we even found more info:

HP will only replace a monitor with there are 4 scattered faulty
    pixels or 3 clustered.
    LG will replace a monitor if there are 2 within a 10cm circle.
    NEX-NEC will replace 3 lit, 3 unlit or 6 color.
    With Samsung six dead pixels are allowed, or nine, depending on size.
    Sony will replace if there is 2 lit, 2 unlit or 4 dead.
    Viewsonic will replace if there is 2 lit, 2 unlit or 4 dead.

Sony(along with Viewsonic) actually have the most generous policy out of the companies listed there. I'm not saying it's right but acting like this is some crazy policy Sony thought up is just wrong. And your statutory rights are above any company policy anyway, if you want it replaced badly enough by the shop they'll end up giving in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

tbh ive got 3, on mine but you really have to strain your eyes to see them, now with more than 3 doted around the screen id say return it.
    another thing if 3 were together around the same close area id say it should be returned, because its more noticable.
    i remember someone saying dell should of done the psp lcd's because there is hardly a dead pixel on a dell laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

OK, I posted before that I had a stuck pixel. I ran that flashing video but to no avail, it stayed there. When I powered up my PSP last night the stuck pixel became, un-stuck I guess, and now I have a clear screen!

:confused: , but at the same time: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

i have a jap psp, got a replacement sent to me as my first one had around 15 dead pixels, now i only have 1 tiny one, gonna try that video soon, but its unnoticeable when the screen is prducing amazing graphics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Does any body know how many pixals are on the PSP's screen anyway?( I don't want you's to count them I just want ya's to tell me if you know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'm not entirely sure, it's more of an issue that the PSP's are shipped with at least 1 or 2 dead pixels on a 4x6 screen (I've had at least 10 on both I had). Imagine buying a 50" Sony Wega TV to find a SINGLE dead pixel, you'd have a canary! Sony saying that if the dead pixel issue on your PSP bothers you "Play it for a week and see how you go" is a complete joke! "Here's 250 Sony!, I'm not fussed if you give me b-grade goods!, you're doing ME a favour selling it to me!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

130,560 pixels on the PSP screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Laguna wrote:
    Charged up my spanking new PSP to find 10 dead pixels (including a HUGE cluster in the centre of the screen). Brought this one back to the shop to have it replaced, charged the new one up to find 15-10 dead pixels, it's like looking at the night sky for ****s sake. Sony couldn't give a **** about quality control. Well I'm getting my money back, that's for sure, Sony have lost a customer for life now.

Surely samsung should lose a customer as its their screen, the sony part of the psp seems to work fine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Laguna wrote:
    I'm not entirely sure, it's more of an issue that the PSP's are shipped with at least 1 or 2 dead pixels on a 4x6 screen (I've had at least 10 on both I had). Imagine buying a 50" Sony Wega TV to find a SINGLE dead pixel, you'd have a canary! Sony saying that if the dead pixel issue on your PSP bothers you "Play it for a week and see how you go" is a complete joke! "Here's 250 Sony!, I'm not fussed if you give me b-grade goods!, you're doing ME a favour selling it to me!"

Youd probably have a reason if youd bout a 50" lcd . but then again f you can afford a €20,000 + tv in the first place you could probably just buy another one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Sparky_S wrote:
    i remember someone saying dell should of done the psp lcd's because there is hardly a dead pixel on a dell laptop.

Dell dont "make" ANYTHING they are a LEGO company that take other brands components stick them together and call it a Dell. Screens in dell could be from anyone depending on the model / screen combination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Ahhhhhhh.........I just noticed more dead pixels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

How long (since you got your PSP) did it take for a copel of pixels go dead Franky Boy?

Nailz wrote:
    How long (since you got your PSP) did it take for a copel of pixels go dead Franky Boy?

I'm guessing you meant.How long have I had my psp.

Yeah I've had it since june 15th(to be specific).And got dead pixels last week.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    130,560 pixels on the PSP screen

You must have some amount of time on your hands! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Stekelly wrote:
    Surely samsung should lose a customer as its their screen, the sony part of the psp seems to work fine. :)

the screens are made by sharp.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote:
    the screens are made by sharp.

There the european ones arent they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i v'e got three white ones about an inch from one another right at the top...only notice them on very dark screens

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

I have three on my yank version. Top left corner and and bottom left corner. Never notice them at all unless the screen is black. Bought it when I was in the states a while ago and have not noticed any more appearing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Havent had one in the 6 months I've owned it. Japanese screens do seem to be of a better standard although I've not seen a European or American model yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

dregin wrote:
    Havent had one in the 6 months I've owned it. Japanese screens do seem to be of a better standard although I've not seen a European or American model yet.
    Interesting this, I work in a liquid-crystal related area and thought I'd give you my tuppence.

Yeah, I've heard about the dead pixel problem with these PSPs. Up until maybe a year or two ago, it was quite acceptable to buy a LCD screen and accept the odd dead pixel or three; now with advancements in LCD technology, the major LCD companies (Samsung, Sharp, Philips et. al.) won't let such screens out of their plants if there's even one dead pixel.

Sony (in their quest for the low cost possible) are probably using some of Sharp's older technology. Some of the screens that Sharp use these days are quite amazing altough the real leaders are Samsung with their 96" model. Sharp have an excellent R&D centre in Oxford, UK and have been designing wonderful displays there since the days of Sharp Viewcam back in the 1990s.

And as for Japanese screens being a better standard, yes, they are the best by far at liquid crystal science and technology (even though they're made in China/Taiwan/Korea). European liquid crystal technology is not far behind the Japanese but we are definitely way ahead of the Yanks!

Don't blame Sharp! Blame Sony for using cheaper, older technology! I'd say Sony would just alter their manufacturing slightly and change the display if there's such a big problem being reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i heard LED screens are the way forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

i bought mine in the states in early june and no problems yet...

My stuck pixel is gone, fortunately. I have Jap PSP and this was the first bit of trouble I had with it in about 5 months. I get a stuck pixel for a day, play the flashing video - nothing happens. Then just two days ago it was gone. Brilliant :D

qz wrote:
    My stuck pixel is gone, fortunately. I have Jap PSP and this was the first bit of trouble I had with it in about 5 months. I get a stuck pixel for a day, play the flashing video - nothing happens. Then just two days ago it was gone. Brilliant :D

what's the flashing video?

RuggieBear wrote:
    what's the flashing video?

A video someone made that flashes green/red/blue/yellow over and over again in an effort to force the stuck pixel to, um, un-stick. I posted a link in a previous post in this thread.

• Advertisement

qz wrote:
    A video someone made that flashes green/red/blue/yellow over and over again in an effort to force the stuck pixel to, um, un-stick. I posted a link in a previous post in this thread.

groovy...me goes a searchin :)

edit: fantatic...that worked a treat for me...they appear to be gone \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

The madness of it all.

Sharp make all PSP screens, not just the early jap ones. Samsung make a PSP component but not the actual screen, they make memory chips for it.

Im fairly sure its an urban myth, but if you want to make sure just smash open your PSP and check!

I've one dead and one stuck pixel but they're at the side so I don't even notice them.

As for never using sony products again I've aready thrown my ps2 and ps1 in the bin, I'll also never use a CD again because sony helped create it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Stoichkov wrote:
    As for never using sony products again I've aready thrown my ps2 and ps1 in the bin, I'll also never use a CD again because sony helped create it! :rolleyes:

fight the power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

The dead pixie stories are making me think twice about buying a PSP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Well im afraid its a risk your gonna have to take, most ppl are going to get dead pixels at some stage. I have one or two but i only notice them when the screen is black. I imported my psp from canada and have read more stories about bad pixels in the last week than i did in the months before it. So maybe the euro lcd's are **** or something or anyone with lots of dead pixels seem to post here ;)

maybe us europeans have higher standards....or better eyes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Nah the dead pixel thing has been around for months so its not a euro thing i just think ppl are more aware of it now and are looking for them is all it is.

Dead pixels were a big prob in the US too thats why i dont have one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I've seen a few jap psps and own one. I've got one barely noticable dead (only visible on a totally black screen if I look for it). I've only played with 2 european ones and one had 6 dead while the other had none.

I'd be wary of the "urban legend" thing though. A lot of that comes out about facts so keep an eye out ;) I've seen the SHARP embossed on Japanese screens myself and I think people would be quick to point it out if it were on Euro ones too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Call_me_al wrote:
    i heard LED screens are the way forward?

No, I wouldn't say so. Organic Light Emmitting Polymer (OLEP) displays are pretty cool (sorta like 'LED screens') and bloody cheap as they are made from organic materials (i.e. plastic substrate) and don't have to go through as many complex fabrication processes as liquid crystal displays on glass substrates have to.

Big problem with OLEPs is in making blue light. Blue light is on the higher end of the spectrum and therefore is of higher energy. Unfortunately the energy which blue light emits at slowly but surely breaks down the polymer over time (very noticeable after a year) and so are on the back-burner for a while yet. Some phones have red/green OLEP displays on the front of them (date/time, operator name etc.). I think there's hope yet, but I really think LCD screens are gonna be the default standard into the future especially if we can get to the stage where you can simply print the electronics (ink-jet style) onto the glass instead of using a costly lithography process as of now.

• Advertisement

sorry to drag this one back up, but my psp has had the unfortunate occurance of dead pixels appearing. i was fine with one because it's out of the way, but now there's about 4 noticable ones, and a couple others you need to look hard to find...

it's not that big a deal when watching movies or playing games, but any black shows up the white dots, and once you see 'em, you can't take your eyes from them. it's annoying the hell out of me. and with my plans to buy Sin City on UMD, i can't imagine it'll help there.

i got it in game, anyone got any experience with returning dead pixel psp's there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

A lad I know had 5 dead and they returned it at the drop of a hat. No bother at all. Just ask to speak to a manager, show him something you can see them on and he should be happy to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

While reading this thread I went a lookin' for dead pixels on my laptop and found 2! Damn you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Bought my psp in america in Walmart 6 days ago - i get not a single dead pixel -no complaints about the screen at all.

Cabelo wrote:
    A lad I know had 5 dead and they returned it at the drop of a hat. No bother at all. Just ask to speak to a manager, show him something you can see them on and he should be happy to return.
    yeah i was way ahead of you there. made a black pic, loaded it on and when you view it in zoom you can clearly see where the dead pixels are...

Advertisement