Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to discontinue subscription 57080

• 01-09-2005 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My girlfriend subscribed to a TV ad to be entered in a weekly draw, and is now losing €2 a week. She was never told how to cancel the subscription.

Any way of finding out?! The number the texts come in every week is 57080

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Give regtel a buzz. As far as I know, they'll contact the service provider on your behalf to cancel the sunscription. Go to regtel.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is the service still advertised (I'm suspecting Big6 from the price)? If so, the stop code is in the small print at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Is the service still advertised (I'm suspecting Big6 from the price)? If so, the stop code is in the small print at the bottom.

No unsubscribe info on texts...

Last one read as follows:
    XXX from Swords won €100 cash or credit. You're in the next draw next week

Thats all...?!

All discontinue replies to the texts have gone unanswered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

http://www.poptexts.co.uk/logo_generate.php?order_number=40446
    this page references that number
    there help number is listed as 1800 719 319

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

That shortcode is going through an aggregator, in this case Opera Telecom, so it is most likely shared by hundreds of companies. You could try them directly, but I don’t have their Irish number handy. Regtel (www.regtel.ie) could be an alternative first port of call as they’re very proactive. Be sure to complain to your operator too as they essentially collect the money off you.

Bare in mind however, that if there is a way of unsubscribing and you simply didn’t bother to remember how to do it, then it’s your problem - so you would want to be sure they never told you how to unsubscribe. There’s a lot of idiots out there who subscribe to these services without reading the not-so-small-print and then seemingly are all surprised when they get charged / can’t unsubscribe. I’ve not got a lot of sympathy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Call your mobile provider i called meteor when i was getting similar and she looked up their contact info and gave me a dublin number for the offices / address etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Send the word STOP to the number. That should do it. You should only contact RegTel as a last resort. I notice this what RegTel say about unsubscribing:
    11.3.3 Service Providers must send regular short code instruction messages to Consumers asking them whether they wish to ‘Opt-Out’ or ‘UNSUBSCRIBE’. This message must be sent at least once a week, or less often, if a formal written contract with the Consumer specifies otherwise.

Doubt if too many operators do this!

Thanks all - I'll investigate the options suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭CelticChick

I had the same problem. The number belongs to realm communications and as far as I remember you text unsub to them and they reply with the exact words to cancel- again its a con because it costs €4 just to cancel. I emailed realm and told them I wanted my number removed immediately and I haven't received any more of the texts since thank god.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ticker22

My girlfriend had the same problem, was loosing 2 euro a text for a few weeks, didnt know how to stop it. After reading here I sent "unsub" and it has now unsubscribed her number.

• Advertisement

I had the same problem. The number belongs to realm communications and as far as I remember you text unsub to them and they reply with the exact words to cancel- again its a con because it costs €4 just to cancel. I emailed realm and told them I wanted my number removed immediately and I haven't received any more of the texts since thank god.

Hope that helps

Found out it was Opera Telecom, got their number from Vodafone...
    Rang the 'support line' at least 50 times, finially someone half asleep answered, got the unsubscription processed.

Shower 'a *****...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

It happened to me lots of times.This is what i done.Most of the unsub sms are free so you can guess,Normally they are like"stop" "unsub" just have a relevant guess.See how it goes it worked for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I saw an advert for a 57080 service on Tv the other night ... the one for the allegedly free credit. While they have a memorable word to subscribe they have a different word to unsubscribe (it was STOP followed by a word).

RegTel should require operators to use the same word used to subscribe as the one to unsubscribe (obviously preceded by STOP). The operator should also be required to send you a message at no more than standard text rate charge with the details of the service, who runs it and how to unsubscribe.

Advertisement