Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coonagh Cross

Options
  • 01-09-2005 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

www.coonaghcross.com

Looks like a class centre..badly needed out this side of town

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Badly needed alright, good to see they are also developing a park by the Clonmacken roundabout, on the way towards Ivans. That area could be a great addition to the city, so close to the city centre, with a very pleasant riverside walk to enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

looks pretty good

Badly needed alright, good to see they are also developing a park by the Clonmacken roundabout, on the way towards Ivans. That area could be a great addition to the city, so close to the city centre, with a very pleasant riverside walk to enjoy.
    is that the big field across from Clun Dara? where the circus used to be years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Nope beside ashline motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I also heard that a petrol station is been knocked near coonagh cross to be turned into a hotel complex! hope to see it built!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

The movie on the site makes it look real class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I live just up the road in Caherdavin so all i can say is yup cant blody wait!

this side of the town needs all this development BIG TIME.

This is exciting! i browsed the site, but dissapointed that it dosent show plans of the buildings and structures , not just the field plans?? :mad:

there was some areas of interest to me , such as this willo be the largest shopping centre in the mid-west???
    The cresent looks bigger not to mention the extenstion currently comming on now

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

http://www.chieftain.ie/coonagh/

more from the Architects website
    External http://www.bwarchitects.co.za/coonaghproj.htm
    Site plan + layout http://www.bwarchitects.co.za/coonagh2proj.htm
    Foodcourt http://www.bwarchitects.co.za/coonagh3proj.htm
    Westmall http://www.bwarchitects.co.za/coonagh4proj.htm

Some plans/pictures in the pdf at http://www.coonaghcross.com/downloads.htm

Originally Posted by Amazotheamazing

Amazo - where abouts are they planning this park , on the link road from Barringtons Pier to Clonmacken? Limerick could do with a decent public park alright.

Any idea when this will be completed? Website just says "Project progress Update - 'Planning expected May 2005' "
    a few months ago there was a billboard up beside Coonagh Roundabout, advertising the Coonagh Cross centre, with completion date of mid 2006, but billboard was only up for a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

i think it will be completed in 2008 because it says it going to try and be completed at the same time of the phase 2 of the ring road which is 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MINOGUE

The plans, sections and elevations are on file for public display in the County Hall ie Limerick County Council's Planning Department on the first floor in Dooradoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Phase One is going to be completed and open in spring of 2007.

http://coonaghcross.com/Video/High.mov

theres a link to a video of it

reminds me alot of liffey vallley in dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Holy crap yet another shopping center
    Theres the
    parkway
    childers road
    that homebase place across from the parkway
    the new estate with b+q
    cresent
    jetland
    Huge dunnes on henry street
    arthurs quay
    now the coonagh road
    theres also talks of someone buying the entire of ellen street and making it into a huge shopping center
    where the hell are all the shoppers coming from ?
    every day each of these are packed
    city is gone crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

maybe they are staying at all the hotels being built :)

IrishMike wrote:
    Holy crap yet another shopping center
    Theres the
    parkway
    childers road
    that homebase place across from the parkway
    the new estate with b+q
    cresent
    jetland
    Huge dunnes on henry street
    arthurs quay
    now the coonagh road
    theres also talks of someone buying the entire of ellen street and making it into a huge shopping center
    where the hell are all the shoppers coming from ?
    every day each of these are packed
    city is gone crazy

alot of what you mentioned are retail parks and just places like dunnes stores, i owuldnt even clasify them as shopping centres

Well statistics shows Limerick people have the third most filled pockects after Dub and Kildare,

also Limerick is one the biggest commercial cores outside of Dublin and has a more advantagous location than Cork or Galway. By been situated between the 2, plus having a thriving and growing hinterland.
    when considering it has Shannon airport and good road rail links that make it possible for the like's of waterford people going to Galway and visa versa
    same with Cork-Galway they all have to pass through the city.
    So Limerick also has a lot of passing traffic.

I don't think anyone know the real population of this city,
    When the city had at one stage 80,000 within its original city boundary.
    Isay its over 100,000, dooradoyle alone is just huge, with new ring road i'd say its approaching patrickswell??

Anyway as for the coonagh cross, that side of the city needs a decent size shopping centre.
    I just hope to god, its not another Dunnes if it is,
    Limerick needs boycott them for taking our money and choices.

Limerick is turning into like America the way big centres are opening around the place eg. BnQ, Dunnes etc

I somewhat dissagree, with your comment on turning into America,

the city council and county counicil have a plan for areas that have retail zones and suburban zones and other aoned areas

The underbounded city and high commericial rate are giving retailers no option but to move to greenfield sites around the city,

Cork and Galway are building retail parks like Limerick, whereas Limerick is under more pressure to do so.

There are four core retail areas

1.City centre CBD

I somewhat dissagree, with your comment on Limerick turning into America,
    Some of the retail parks are ugly and sprawling
    But at least there is planning involved and not right next to your house etc..

the city council and county counicil have a plan for areas that have retail zones and suburban zones and other aoned areas

The underbounded city and high commericial rate are giving retailers no option but to move to greenfield sites around the city,

Cork and Galway are building retail parks like Limerick, whereas Limerick is under more pressure to do so.

There are four core retail areas

1. City centre CBD
    2. Raheen Dooradoyle i.e (the Cresent)
    3. Castletroy, Parkway retail area
    4. Caherdavin, Jetland & Coonagh cross

This strategy makes sense as its planned in zones and serves the area rightly.

As for retail parks 80% of its is around the the Dublin road/Ballysimon area.

the Reasons why its planned well,
    1. There is a huge market and residential area there
    2. Major roads and easy access
    3. competition
    4. Zoned areas around there are for suburban retail/commerical use
    5. to attract costumers from not just Limerick but nationally
    And finally if Limerick didnt have them they would go to the other cities
    rather than having one lets say near the city centre like the one in Galway at the headford road, which is like America!
    They are planning mistakes, Limerick is least redeveloping and bring life back to the city centre. this is good planning sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mr.sparkle

mysterious wrote:
    I also heard that a petrol station is been knocked near coonagh cross to be turned into a hotel complex! hope to see it built!
    Yes they are knocking it down. :D

Its a great development and I think its about time there was somesort of development put in the area, othewise it will become run down I mean people will loose interest unless they do put new developments there!:rolleyes:

I heard the planning has come through for this project, anyone got more details? Is it still a good idea?

My only real fear from this project is that we will see the city grow further into Clare, do we really want Bunratty to be a suburb of the city in 10 years, in the way Annacotty has become, with less and less of a green belt surronding the city proper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phonemonkey

If limerick shows that much growth in 10 years Ill be shocked. I think the more developments the better

If limerick shows that much growth in 10 years Ill be shocked. I think the more developments the better

I think Limerick will grow that way, especially with the new services being brought on line by these devlopments. Maybe out as far as Bunratty is unrealistic, but it's still somewhat inevitable.

All developments properly handled, should be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

They Really would want update the coonagh cross hopping centre website now as it has been like that since spring '04 and a section says that it should have been updated in Autumn '05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

that talk about limerick growing into clare and bunratty is a crock of sh*t. realistically looking at limerick, limerick will grow out, yes, but not into clare.limerick knows better than to grow blindly into other boundaries, with all the current problims on the clare limerick boundary issue its just more recipy for a fight between the two counties over who ownes the houses so it definately will not happen. Limerick will definately grow, there no doubt about that, but all the growth areas will be concentrated south of the shannon river, castletroy, raheen/dooradoyle, town, nd maybe coonagh. anyone else agree?

You think developers care much about city boundaries etc? If the sewage and other facilities are upgraded (a la Mungret) things will be build out there, if not, they won't.

D-A-V-E wrote:
    that talk about limerick growing into clare and bunratty is a crock of sh*t. realistically looking at limerick, limerick will grow out, yes, but not into clare.limerick knows better than to grow blindly into other boundaries, with all the current problims on the clare limerick boundary issue its just more recipy for a fight between the two counties over who ownes the houses so it definately will not happen. Limerick will definately grow, there no doubt about that, but all the growth areas will be concentrated south of the shannon river, castletroy, raheen/dooradoyle, town, nd maybe coonagh. anyone else agree?

Somewhat, though there is some suburbs that are practically on the border of Clare which are regareded as part of the limerick concrete, Old cratloe road as an example much further out than LIT, which is a shambles Clare actually wants it to sprawl and take the monopoly as an advantage for all the new Limerick residents. Places like Parteen for example has roads that are worse than the roads in Zambia(exaggerating I know but still) Feck those clare greedy green men.

Limerick is actually taking very little of Clare for starters, so it's all over hyped bull on Clare's behalf.I can understand some views of Clare people not wanting to be apart of Limerick but at the same time, if it were that the boundary ext. got the go ahead the quality of life and schools,taxes, roads will greatly improve, as Limerick city will boom even further as Limerick will be known as a city that is truely developing. Plus the fact will be bolded on Atlas as "over a 100,000 to 250,000" category:D Also I'm impressed that Cork work together with their county and city councils to expand the city into the future. Galway is also there at least anything better than Limerick. Take a hideous bus lane built through Raheen and stopped at ballykeefe, focking laughable, mind you it's still in the same bloody county. ffs. it's just petty. all these people under the city and county council should be SACKED for this ridiculous mess there are causing.

Anyway the majority of the people that we are talking about Live and breath air in limerick most of the day, so what ARE THEY REALLY SAYING THEN. question is to Clare and Limerick county council

Clare will benifet in the long run as the whole of the midwest would be a focus of foriengn investment since the city of Limerick will rightfully take third city status once again.

As for Cratloe is a dormitory town, and always will be. It's not part of the agglomeration of this city at least not this century( or maybe) but definatly not Bunratty. I can say it will be like Killny(spelling) in Dublin. It will be a haven for big mansions along the hills for the Wealthy limerick dwellers or Clare dwellors to locate too.

The biggest agglomeration at the moment is Castletroy and more noticeably singland, where i believe thousands of houses are going to be built. I Think the Childers road needs to widened, and stop fiddling with a few pot holes and a cycle lane ffs.......:mad: put 2lanes each way and bus from Parkway to Roxboro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phonemonkey

A colleague of mine who's father is an architect told him that the only qualification you need to work in the city planning dept is leaving cert geography. Says it all really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

really? lc geog? thats intresting coz i want to do town planning when im older! deacent!
    anyway back to the limerick clare thing, if you go to limerick city council website and click on the boundary issue you will see debates etc. some of them are brillient, one of them just summed it up for me, it said under many lines of arguements...... if it wasent for limerick city, clare people would die. clare needs limerick for everything they have, they use our schools, shops, recreation facilities,busses,hospitals,roads, and if they are complaning about limerick moving theyre boundary the equivilent to a few field sizes, then they can fu*k of somewhere else, its the least they can allow us to do.... i thought it was brillient! what does everyone else think?

Advertisement