Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coonagh Cross

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Amen to that Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

You want to do Town Planning when your older?:eek: how old are you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

just came accross this thread, i've been involved in this debate for a few years now(the boundary extention), i'm not sure if your aware but limerick university have already extended their campus on to clare. its should be known as the univ. of limerick AND clare now!! transprot,facilities etc. would obviouly improve for these clare people yes, but they have been living in rural areas all their lives, that is what they are used to. mostly farmers, how are they going to survive if the city boundary is extended, also the local hurling clubs, i'm sure you can appreciatethey are dedicated to the county of clare, some intercounty hurlers come from this location.......dont make decisions for them, who are ye to comment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

im 18, just finished the leaving, ya i want to do town planning when i finish college (construction management,fingers crossed).
    but to the above statement, just because the rural people will be concidered in the city, that dosent mean their lives are going to change like. the only diffrence it will make on their lives is that the area they come from will be changed from a local district to a city councel, with maybe the exception of a few houses going up. you have to realise that just because it will be a city area doesn't mean sudden construction, stuff like the EPA (environmental protection agency) and other schemes would prevent the steriotypical "urban sprawl" characterised by these "clare ruralers"! so to these clare people who live and educate in limerick anyway, just grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

The thing youthacademy said about the hurling clubs and
    all that he has a god point there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

just came accross this thread, i've been involved in this debate for a few years now(the boundary extention), i'm not sure if your aware but limerick university have already extended their campus on to clare. its should be known as the univ. of limerick AND clare now!! transprot,facilities etc. would obviouly improve for these clare people yes, but they have been living in rural areas all their lives, that is what they are used to. mostly farmers, how are they going to survive if the city boundary is extended, also the local hurling clubs, i'm sure you can appreciatethey are dedicated to the county of clare, some intercounty hurlers come from this location.......dont make decisions for them, who are ye to comment....

Nonsense. UCC use hospitals in Limerick to train medical students, but you don't see a move to call UCC UCC with some students in Limerick do you?
    NUIG Galway has some students based in Ennis, but there's no plan to change NUIG into NUIG with a handful of classrooms in Clare is there?

Typical Clare insecurity, most places would welcome the local University expanding and bringing people into the area, Clare people are so paranoid about Limerick.

ricey wrote:
    The thing youthacademy said about the hurling clubs and
    all that he has a god point there.

Very true, it is why Limerick City Co. asking about setting up a new urban authourity, Clare county wouldn't be changed so GAA clubs would be unaffected but rates etc would go to Limerick and Limerick would take resp for running the place. Anyone who drives out past Moyross or into Parteen can easily see how badly Clare Co. Co. currently maintain the place.

Personally I've no major issue with Clare anyway, its the suburbs like Raheen and Castletroy I want, Clare can keep itself and it's bad roads to itself.

to be honest, those clare gaa clubs probibly think they are in limerick anyway! there was a thing on the post a couple of weeks back and there was a surveytaken.
    they were asked if they thought they lived in limerick city or not. it was undertaken in over 500 houses in Raheen/Dorradoyle, Caherdavin, Moyross, Clonmacken and Castletroy. the results showed

96% of people in raheen thought they were in the city
    75% for castletroy
    99% for caherdavin
    98% for moyross
    89% for clonmacken, so whey thought they were all in the city but they are actually in county limerick, paying a cheaper tax rate to all of us in the city boundary, and they wonder why the city population is droppong and suburb population is the fastest growing outside of dublin! hmm. what does everyone else think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I live in Caherdavin and people here know they are in the county
    but im sure there are some who say ya this is the city but 99%
    i doubt that.

well maybe not that figure but it was a very high figure for all of them, anyway it was 500 houses each so it was only a small minority.

• Advertisement

well the university comment i had was sarcastic just in case ye didn't pick up on that. the fact is limerick want to extand there city not there county, for various reasons, but it means building, however long down the line it is. as a member of the GAA from the the region who is involved at county level (along with many others from the region might i add) your telling me i'l have to uproot and play for limerick.....doesn't happen like that.
    and to "amazingtheamazing" your complaining about that state of parteen, what about the state of moyross? spend money sorting out ye're own problems before ye try to sort ours......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

This whole college naming thing is all GMIT's fault strange connaught people and there strange ideas

im not one to criticize but this goes to "youthacadamy". by any chance did you read that about sorting out moyross before other matters from an artical maybe half a year ago in the limerick post? the clare councellers were saying that how can limerick sort something out if they have problims in moyross? it all sounds too familier to me. but even if you didnt get that from the paper listen to this... two thirds of moyross is in county clare. hmm by the sounds of things it seems to me that the clare side of moyross is the neglected site of moyross, afterall, coming out of parteen on your right you see about 20 burned out houses, all that row and behind them is in co clare. so your information is a farce, untrue.

are you actually serious?? moyross is 100% limerick, i've no problems with the place, obviously you have certain pregidous towards it. but get your facts right before you shoot your mouth off kid.....

no neither do i. i know a few people from there and they are generally nice people but they say that theres a county clare sign around somewhere. a few people i know have been saying that too. its a known fact that some of it is in clare, sorry if i come accross as argumentitive about it but im shure you will find somewhere people saying that places are in fact in co clare. does anyone else agree?

well the resaon i'm so sure is because i live the area

ask around man

D-A-V-E, are you sure Moyross isn't in County Limerick?

YouthAcademy, I find you're views bizarre to be frank, you'd allow a sports club, which may not even be affected by any changes, hold up the progress of a city of 85,000 people? At no point is there any suggestion Clare hurlers, footballers, rugby or soccer players would be forced to play for Limerick, it's just typical scaremongering. For example, Roscrea Rugby Club has always played in the Leinster divisions (as has the school), despite nominally being in Munster. There's ways around all these problems, surely, even if the extension did happen, the GAA could and would give a dispensation to club players (and the club itself) to remain within Clare for GAA purposes?

To be honest, Limerick gains very little from taking any land of Clare, a few hundred malcontents and more roads to maintain. It is county Limerick that Limerick city badly needs land off.

ok this is what i have always known, two thirds of moyross is in county limerick and an area of it in the city. but as far as i know it most definately is (maybe only a little bit) in county clare, but it definately has some parts in clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

D-A-V-E wrote:
    ok this is what i have always known, two thirds of moyross is in county limerick and an area of it in the city. but as far as i know it most definately is (maybe only a little bit) in county clare, but it definately has some parts in clare

yeah i think some of it is in clare. remember hearing that somewhere. not sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

yeah i think some of it is in clare. remember hearing that somewhere. not sure though.

It's all in Limerick, about 70% City and 30% County take a look at an OSI map

For example, Roscrea Rugby Club has always played in the Leinster divisions (as has the school), despite nominally being in Munster. QUOTE]

i'm not sure why they play in Leinster, but I dont feel you can compare a rugby club to a GAA club, the latter is more deep-rooted etc. theres different standards.
    and also i find some of your arguments a bit bizarre, how can you say a few "malcontents are impeading 85,000 people", 99.9% of limerick people dont even care, are they even aware? but everyone on the clare side is effected in a big way.
    indeed we might just be delaying the inevitable.......:mad:

For example, Roscrea Rugby Club has always played in the Leinster divisions (as has the school), despite nominally being in Munster. QUOTE]

i'm not sure why they play in Leinster, but I dont feel you can compare a rugby club to a GAA club, the latter is more deep-rooted etc. theres different standards.
    and also i find some of your arguments a bit bizarre, how can you say a few "malcontents are impeading 85,000 people", 99.9% of limerick people dont even care, are they even aware? but everyone on the clare side is effected in a big way.

Of course you can compare a rugby club to a GAA club, it's incredibly arrogant of you to think rugby means less to their club members than GAA means to you and your club. Do you disagree that the GAA would give a dispensation to your club and your club players? How else would Clare people be affected btw?

I would estimate that the majority of the city cares deeply about the boundary extension, there's a reason it's a common topic of conversation. But like I said twice already, I don't really care what Clare does, it's land from the county we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You live in Limerick, and yet make as un-informed a statement as that!
    For one, yes, the GAA is more deeply rooted than rugby in Ireland......in 31 counties!
    Not Limerick.
    This whole city lives and breathes rugby!
    Also, you're twisting the point that was made to you.
    It was being pointed out, that these clubs and their players would still be a part of Clare GAA.
    If the GAA is so important to you, how could you suggest that the moving of a boundary would change anything to the players and thee club?!
    as for the ludicrous statement about how 99.9% of Limerick people don't care!
    What rock are you hiding under?
    if you reversed your "statistic" you'd be closer to the truth!
    People in Limerick are very proud, and the idea that we have a population dropping below 50,000 is one that we take great offence to!
    Besides all the economic reasons (which are very important), such as the increased rates that we have to pay compared to those outside of the antiquated city boundary, we don't like the fact that delusioned people up in Galway think that their city is bigger than ours!:D

Has anyone heard anything about this centre? Is there any sort of movement on the site?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's odd. There was a thread about coonagh cross here a moment ago. Now it's all about boundary extensions!

I see that they've knocked that derelict texaco across from it, and leveled the large gravel mounds. Haven't seen any more activity as of yet. I wonder with tesco being one of the anchors will they set up a petrol station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I wonder with Tesco being one of the anchors will they set up a petrol station?

I sure hope so ..... :)
    I see that they've knocked that derelict texaco across from it

Really ... :confused: I'm sure it was there last thursday ..... mind you? ..... did I look at it? ..... not sure .... :rolleyes:

gaf1983 wrote:
    Phase One is going to be completed and open in spring of 2007.

Well it should be practically finished by now but nope it's not.

Does anyone know if there's any bit of movement out on the site or is this development cancelled?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

loads of work going on the last few weeks, hoarding put up around entire site and heavy machinery in laying pipes and clearing site.

New sign gone up re confirming Tesco will be the anchor tenant.

• Advertisement

Nice One!!! really looking forward to this development, might take a spin out the northside someday and get a look!

Advertisement