Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year

Options
  • 01-09-2005 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

so where do the 5th years post!are we allowed in here or is it a 6th year only ting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Support the Secondary School Forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

You can post here, but you might be subject to a limited audience.

Although with the fresh blood in here, most of the people here did fifth year last year so we might be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

u can post here if ya want..its for all leaving certs really but u mite be outnumbered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Of course you can post here, welcome! :D

we're friendly really...we wont bite

much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

5th year is ****e. I got about as much homework on Friday as I did during the whole of TY. Gonna be tuff to get back into the "good habbits". Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

i'm actually not finding it that bad. i've been told it's the year where your suspose to get the bulk of the course work done? is that true?

Riveta wrote:
    i'm actually not finding it that bad. i've been told it's the year where your suspose to get the bulk of the course work done? is that true?

In theory yes, I would have preffered to do most of it in fifth year, leave more time for revision, have most if not all done by the mocks and so forth.

From my personal experience, we did most of the course in some subjects and less than most in others so it balances itself out.

I'll be starting 5th year next Monday (late start!). Any useful tips for someone coming out of TY?

qz wrote:
    I'll be starting 5th year next Monday (late start!). Any useful tips for someone coming out of TY?

It can be hard getting back into study/work metality. Don't let yourself get lazy. Start filling and getting organised straight away. Do not leave a foot high pile of notes till late May to organise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

For the first few weeks of 5th year I was in a state of shock. I hadn't done homework or cared about a class for the previous year, and it was so hard to get back into the mindframe of listening intently in class and doing your homework properly.

However, after a week or two I got back into it, and I got into a rhythm of doing all my homework etc. which carried on through the whole year.

One thing I regret is not being organised enough - come Christmas I realised all my note were all over the place. Be organised from the start and you will thank yourself so much when it comes to revising.

Its also the most unbelievably fast year you'll have, so make the most of it! Weekends definitely came into their own during 5th year

grimloch wrote:
    It can be hard getting back into study/work metality. Don't let yourself get lazy. Start filling and getting organised straight away. Do not leave a foot high pile of notes till late May to organise.

Oh God, notes :( . Haven't heard of those in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

enjoy 5th year its so much fun do ur homework and listen in class and hav fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

5th year is where you cover the most work, then in 6th you revise it all. what ever you do, don't let the work mount up..

Shrimp wrote:
    5th year is where you cover the most work, then in 6th you revise it all. what ever you do, don't let the work mount up..

That's pretty true. It's so easy to lay back, take your foot off the pedal and before you know it it's Summer and you're swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

exactly, just work that bit more in 5th nd 6th will be so much easier work load wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Thanks sounds like good advice!!I have a queation for anyone who did 5th year last year.Did anyone feel like they were put under pressure from their parents?First day back today and it wasnt as bad as i thought.Got a lot of homework but sat down and did it all carefully as soon as i came in.Even did a bit of study which i was quite surprised at!!!Anyway at about 8 when i was finished i arrived down stairs to say i was going out with my friends till 10 o clock which i think is not unreasonable as a 16 yr old.Only to be greeted with the news that i wasnt to be allowed out during the week "as im in 5th yr now".They backed down and said till 9 but .....IM 16!!!similar pressure was on me for the j.c. and the thought of listening to it for 2 years makes me think i wont make it through.
    Before i came down them stairs i felt completely in control and up for the challenge of 5th year.It HAS to be my choice to study or else i just cant do it!
    Any similar situations or any advice?please!

Thanks sounds like good advice!!I have a queation for anyone who did 5th year last year.Did anyone feel like they were put under pressure from their parents?First day back today and it wasnt as bad as i thought.Got a lot of homework but sat down and did it all carefully as soon as i came in.Even did a bit of study which i was quite surprised at!!!Anyway at about 8 when i was finished i arrived down stairs to say i was going out with my friends till 10 o clock which i think is not unreasonable as a 16 yr old.Only to be greeted with the news that i wasnt to be allowed out during the week "as im in 5th yr now".They backed down and said till 9 but .....IM 16!!!similar pressure was on me for the j.c. and the thought of listening to it for 2 years makes me think i wont make it through.
    Before i came down them stairs i felt completely in control and up for the challenge of 5th year.It HAS to be my choice to study or else i just cant do it!
    Any similar situations or any advice?please!

Wow you did study on your first day back? gosh! I didnt work as much as i could in 5th year, i did extra curricular activites like Debating tho! If your the eldest than im afraid to say you will be subjected to that for two years unless you sit down and talk to your parents maturely! I was luky because I had three older brothers who had already sat the leaving so my mum and dads attitute is do your best. If you want do well do it for yourself not for us! Which is good because that motivates me to do well. My eldest brother used to get screamed at to study and he did ok! Talk to your parents explain to them you need free time and you cant use up all your energy in 5th year because then you will be burned out for 6th year!! Dont bother screaming or anything trust me it doesnt work i have tried well i do it nearly every day! lol! hope i dont sound patronising but thats my two cents on the subject! Btw 5th year is actually so much fun! Everyone gets a lot more freedom after the first few weeks. Do your homework, listen in class and study for tests and youll be grand! GOOD LUCK!! :D

TBH if you're able to study on the first day back I wouldn't say you've too much to be worried about provided you can maintain the momentum throughout the year.

My parents never really tell me to study though, I'm left to motivate myself (which in itself can be dodgy) and work by myself.

I'm sure calmly explaining the situation won't go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Raph's 5th year advice:

Pay attention in class. Ask Questions if you don't understand something. Do all your homework. Study if you have a test coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think i'll take that advice.Not looking forward to it though....moan :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Do some work! I just did my homework and a bit of study for the exams and got through, but make sure you do something, you will regret it so much next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

5th year flew for me.Your best off to try take in as much as possible and always write notes as there extremely important for 6th year and always keep handouts there dead handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

d4gurl wrote:
    Wow you did study on your first day back? gosh! I didnt work as much as i could in 5th year, i did extra curricular activites like Debating tho! If your the eldest than im afraid to say you will be subjected to that for two years unless you sit down and talk to your parents maturely! I was luky because I had three older brothers who had already sat the leaving so my mum and dads attitute is do your best. If you want do well do it for yourself not for us! Which is good because that motivates me to do well. My eldest brother used to get screamed at to study and he did ok! Talk to your parents explain to them you need free time and you cant use up all your energy in 5th year because then you will be burned out for 6th year!! Dont bother screaming or anything trust me it doesnt work i have tried well i do it nearly every day! lol! hope i dont sound patronising but thats my two cents on the subject! Btw 5th year is actually so much fun! Everyone gets a lot more freedom after the first few weeks. Do your homework, listen in class and study for tests and youll be grand! GOOD LUCK!! :D
    Thanks for the advice!I am the eldest and basically i think theyre just really worried im not taking it seriously!!hopefully theyll loosen up.parents are so confusin tho i spent 30 mins doing homework today and they let me out till 10.30!!Wats up wit dat!?!?!not that im complaining!
    About studyin the first day back,i got the impression here that a lot of people did??I really surprised myself actually cuz im just out of 4th year!In fact a lot of people did study and lets just say im not exactly in a posh school or one thats known for havin hardworkin students and defo not fee paying!!!But a lot of people did and in general thay were 4th years which i find incredible seen as we really did nothing for the last year!

Thanks for the advice!I am the eldest and basically i think theyre just really worried im not taking it seriously!!hopefully theyll loosen up.parents are so confusin tho i spent 30 mins doing homework today and they let me out till 10.30!!Wats up wit dat!?!?!not that im complaining!
    About studyin the first day back,i got the impression here that a lot of people did??I really surprised myself actually cuz im just out of 4th year!In fact a lot of people did study and lets just say im not exactly in a posh school or one thats known for havin hardworkin students and defo not fee paying!!!But a lot of people did and in general thay were 4th years which i find incredible seen as we really did nothing for the last year!

omg dats so good dat ur all studyin!! Tbh i only studied for exams really, try ur best! none of my year really recovered from 4th yr it was only after april last year that it hit us. I wish i could do 5th yr again i mean i did well in d summer exams not brilliant not crap jus good but jus do a little bit at a time! and be sure to have free time and go for walks and stuf they always help clear d old head! best of luck with ur parents! jus talk it out with dem!

d4gurl wrote:
    none of my year really recovered from 4th yr it was only after april last year that it hit us. I wish i could do 5th yr again i mean i did well in d summer exams not brilliant not crap jus good but jus do a little bit at a time!

That's my attitide too, the mentality of TY and the accompanying laziness were very very hard to get out of.

I sort of wish I had some form of a time machine and could go back and work a good bit harder and get a few things sorted out then as opposed to doing it now.

im the oldest too but i find that i'm kind of on the same level as my parents! I didn't do anything last year but as soon as i started 6th year like a whole different level of maturity came over me and i'm doing a small bit every night! Now my parents are actually telling me to go out coz apparently i spend "too" much time studying and i need to get out of my room...but don't they realise that i've a tv, dvd, radio, laptop, internet, mini fridge and my own bathroom in my room?? lol!

btw you will find out next year that the internet is evil!!!!!!

omg your room sounds so cul! im not allowed a tv!! apparently i have to study!the funny thing is that havin a computer in my room doesnt help!! lol! i can just dwl anything i want to watch movies tv shows anything! Last year i used to jus chat on msn or watever and my mum and dad wud be like cum dwn ur always studyin and den dey realised the whole internet in my room thing!lol!! so now mum is threatnin to cut of internte supply to my room! cud be a good thing :rolleyes: aww i wanta granny flat like u abercrombie actually its more like a pimped out mini crib!! ur so lucky! ooh internet is very very evil!! bad person who invented it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hey, no insulting the internet!... :mad:

• Advertisement

d4gurl wrote:
    omg your room sounds so cul! im not allowed a tv!! apparently i have to study!the funny thing is that havin a computer in my room doesnt help!! lol! i can just dwl anything i want to watch movies tv shows anything! Last year i used to jus chat on msn or watever and my mum and dad wud be like cum dwn ur always studyin and den dey realised the whole internet in my room thing!lol!! so now mum is threatnin to cut of internte supply to my room! cud be a good thing :rolleyes: aww i wanta granny flat like u abercrombie actually its more like a pimped out mini crib!! ur so lucky! ooh internet is very very evil!! bad person who invented it!
    yeah plus like i said on another thread its the converted garage which is completely seperated frm the rest of the house..gotta love it ;)

actually who did invent the internet....???

EDIT: ok if anyone actually wants to know the story behind the internet go to internet-story.com lol ((soz my email link thing isn't working right now))

Advertisement