Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-ed's Vs single sexes

Options
  • 01-09-2005 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

What are the pros and cons of sending your kids to co-ed schools and single sex schools?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If memory serves, boys do their best in single sex, girls do their best in mixed. (you should be able to find out statistics on this with a quick google)

I've done both. Never found any real pros or cons with either. Preferred the single sex school, but I think that was more the school than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Khannie wrote:
    If memory serves, boys do their best in single sex, girls do their best in mixed.

I always thought it was the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iguana wrote:
    I always thought it was the opposite.
    Guys will get distracted more easier, and also the macho BS. Girls are usually mature by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

In general, high-achieving girls do better in single-sex schools than in mixed settings, high-achieving boys do better in mixed schools than single-sex.

Girls in single sex schools are more likely to do better in (and to attempt) subjects such as Honours Maths, Physics etc. in a single-sex setting, and boys tend to do better in subjects like English in a single-sex setting.

In mixed settings, all studies show that boys take the majority of the teacher's attention, while girls can get overlooked.

Boys achieving at the lower end of the scale do better in single sex settings.

Obviously every child is different. These studies only show general trends (in the UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I was in an all boys school. My experience meant I always found and still find it hard to talk to women socially. I would expect that a mixed school would make shyness like this less difficult.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Advertisement
Advertisement