Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing more than 6/7 subjects?

Options
  • 01-09-2005 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

I presume that people study the extra subject(s) outside of school hours in private tuition or on their own. When it comes to exam time is it hard to organise the sitting of the extra curricular subject or are the schools pretty sound about it? I mean do ya have to go in and sit alone in the hall coz your the only one doing that subject? Just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

dr.barbie wrote:
    I presume that people study the extra subject(s) outside of school hours in private tuition or on their own. When it comes to exam time is it hard to organise the sitting of the extra curricular subject or are the schools pretty sound about it? I mean do ya have to go in and sit alone in the hall coz your the only one doing that subject? Just curious

Well a few people in my year are doing classical studies and applied maths which aren't in the set school timetable but take place before and after school. We take exam time together.

But I'm guessing you're talking about doing a subject thats not affiliated with your current school.

By exam time do you mean the school house exams or the likes of the LC?

Either way I'd ask your principal or whoever organises the exams and they'll be able to give you a fairly straight answer because I'd say it comes down to individual school policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i did art on my own outside of the normal school curriculum. the day of the exam i had a room to myself. the shcool is obliged to provide you with the facility to sit any exam you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

That's kinda wierd, everyone in our school does eight as standard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

jimi_t wrote:
    That's kinda wierd, everyone in our school does eight as standard...

In my old school, and where Im repeating this year, it was 7, I dont think I know anyone who sat more than 7 exams, although I would probably do 8 if it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

In most schools you do seven, I did eight so I wouldn't have to count one of my pass subjects for points but if you're not doing any pass subjects to begin with I wouldn't advice it. It's not worth the extra work involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I did 10 for what it's worth... 5 higher, 4 pass, 1 common... it just kinda turned out that way. But now I never have to do them again! Bwa ha ha ha! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Bob wrote:
    I did 10 for what it's worth... 5 higher, 4 pass, 1 common... it just kinda turned out that way. But now I never have to do them again! Bwa ha ha ha! :p

10! thats some load of work-fair play!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We were forced to do 8 in fifth year, most of us dropped one of them in 6th year though.
    The school offered Art and Applied Maths outside normal school hours though so a couple of people ended up doing 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`ll be doing seven. If Honours Maths doesn`t work out I can drop down to pass and it can act as a back up subject for points. It can be so horrible that on the exam day luck plays such a huge part in it. For what ever reason you can have a good exam or a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

7. I'm probably changing from History to Tech. Drawing. A bit late, but we'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

9 minimum, i mite give music or art a go yet so it'll be around 10/11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Funkstard wrote:
    7. I'm probably changing from History to Tech. Drawing. A bit late, but we'll see how it goes.

yeh im doin 7 too and changing from History to Accounting! I just really dont want to that damn special topic! too much work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm pissed off because I absolutely love history, but they still managed to make the course about dates and facts. The detail you go into is ridiculous - loads of extra stuff you don't need to know but my teacher thinks is included. The course is just too big.

My teacher was crap too - rushing through everything, making us all panic even in 5th year. I'm nearly sure you're supposed to focus on certain areas, but he just does every single ****ing page of text.

Grr...

yeh dats wat my teacher did to! Ive always loved the subject but its just too much essays even if the course has changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i do 8 subjects and lcvp...i dont like it but all my year were FORCED to do it

ok so ive heard about lcvp so much but wtf is it?thats way harsh of them forcing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm only doing 7 subjects, however 2 of them are pass; maths and irish. I'm seriously considering doing an 8th subject so my 2 pass subjects won't count for points as the course I want is ~540 points and the max I can get as it is with 1 pass subject included in my points in 560 which would require A1's all around the place!

I'm only doing 2 pass subjects because I didnt really pay attention in 2nd year so I was lost in 3rd year, especially in Maths which really annoys me because I have the ability :(

basically u do a profolio containing your c.v, work experience, short report, enterprise report, career investigation and so on...u hve to do a written exam, an audio visual exam and an interview (but u set the questions in the interview so its pretty simple)!!

if you get a distinction (max of 70 pts) you can use lcvp in place of a diff subject you get lower points in!!! i dunno how many pts and merit and a pass is...but im aiming for a distinction for obvious reasons! lol

that sound cul id love to that!! but then again it requires reseach and i dont like research!grr!

me neither lol!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Back in the day, I did 8 subjects. 7 in school and I did Applied Maths 2 evenings a week in Ashfield. Doing 8 meant I could do pass Irish and still have one subject I also wouldn't have to count for points... handy when you hate languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Back in the day, I did 8 subjects. 7 in school and I did Applied Maths 2 evenings a week in Ashfield. Doing 8 meant I could do pass Irish and still have one subject I also wouldn't have to count for points... handy when you hate languages.

I'm in a similar boat, higher level Irish is effectively being told to feck off with itself in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 killermonkey

9 minimum, i mite give music or art a go yet so it'll be around 10/11

You're actually mad. I did 9, and that's too much as it is, unless you somehow despise all the core subjects and don't count them for points. Don't do it, seriously you will really regret it, and the subjects you actually count for points will only suffer the consequences!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Ten or eleven subjects? Don't go mad. Personally I did eight at higher level and in retrospect 'twas probably a ickle too much - the subjects you don't then require for points then feel like such as waste of time which you could've concentrated on the strongest six even more. By mid-sixth year you should more or less know your strongest six so just concentrate on them like a fox and ensure you don't fail the ones you "carry"

Advertisement