Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin between the canals: how to remove cars.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Hagar wrote:
    Holland is flat as a pancake and Ireland is not! You could cycle 5 or 10km around Amsterdam without too much phyical effort but the same distance across Dublin would leave you a sweaty mess and not really fit to go into an office and work with people for 8 hours.

There are a number of steep humpy bridges, ramps and so forth in Amsterdam that cyclists must negotiate. "Flat as a pancake" is a generalistation - not a factually accurate description.

From cycling similar distances in both cities, I can tell you that Dublin tends to be quite flat, especially in the canal zone. Certainly, the inclines are not such that they would induce any more sweat than Amsterdam's bridges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

In fairness it would depend on your route to your destination. There are many hills in Dublin, it is built on a river valley after all. There are also long stretches of inclined roads in many areas. Try riding some of them in a suit under a set of wet weather gear against the wind and you will sweat without any doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Really, the weather in Dublin is not that bad - it feels windier and rainier in the winter in Holland!

If you cycle in the rush hour you should, on average, experience rain once per month in the summer and twice during Winter. Even if cyclists took a taxi on wet mornings, they would still save a small fortune on the costs of running the car, or even taking the bus.

The presence of sweat depends on the speed at which you cycle. Dutch cylists amble along at a leisurely speed, and therefore do not perspire odiously. In Holland, the bike ride is a thing to be enjoyed. In Dublin, the bike ride is endured, thanks to the awful conditions our cyclists have to deal with. Cyclists, keen to minimise their unpleasant commute, rush along the streets at breakneck speed, weaving past swarms of buses, trucks, taxis and private cars. No wonder they sweat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Hagar wrote:
    ....but the same distance across Dublin would leave you a sweaty mess and not really fit to go into an office and work with people for 8 hours.
    Cycling is easy, but I see many people making it hard for themselves by riding too high a gear, in the wrong clothes & with soft tyres.

My office has showers. There's nothing nicer than a brisk cycle to work along Dublin Bay followed by a quick shower.

It takes me just 30 minutes to get to the city centre. By comparison, cars are such a waste of space, it's absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cycling is easy, but I see many people making it hard for themselves by riding too high a gear, in the wrong clothes & with soft tyres.

and my favourite - riding with the saddle in the lowest possible position. do people not realise the saddle is adjustable - peddling with your knees up around your ears does not make it any easier!

Advertisement