Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else tired of these "Twist" movies?

• 02-09-2005 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

More and more it seems films today are being set up with the sole premise of throwing out yet another contrived twist to outsmart it's audience, and I for one have just gotten fed up of them. Yes, it was "Him" all along, how exciting... And these days, film twists are getting so contrived that when it's finally revealed who the killer is, it's usually someone we've seen for all of 3 seconds in the preceding running time of the movie. Take The Bone Collector for example. Well done you clever film-maker, we'd never have guessed it. I think the last twist endings I've actually enjoyed was in Seven and The Usual Suspects.

A recent comparison of films I could make is with Saw and Memories of Murder. In Saw, we had a horrible contrived twist ending, and personally I just wasn't a fan of this movie at all, whereas Memories of Murder there was no twist ending and I would rank it as one of the greatest Serial Killer movies I've ever seen in my life.

I'm sure there's others who would agree, so anything to add?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've no issue with having twists in films, as a dramatic device it can be more effective than most. A twist, when done well (see: Usual Suspects et al) can really make a film.

I don't know if twists are getting more common in movies, but I do think that by using twists to try to elevate a film above the average, to leave a lasting impression in the viewer's mind, it can weaken an otherwise solid film.

I'd disagree with you with regards to Saw though. A good film with an interesting - and unexpected, and uncontrived - twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Couldn't agree more, my feelings exactly; even down to the last to good twist movies (Seven, Usual Suspects). It's just so pretentious now. Nothing else to add :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I agree with you to some extent. I disagree with you on Saw though. I really enjoyed it & I thought the twist was decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

A recent comparison of films I could make is with Saw and Memories of Murder. In Saw, we had a horrible contrived twist ending, and personally I just wasn't a fan of this movie at all

Thank god, someone else who didnt think much of SAW. The amount of people ive met who thought it was briliant and a great show. HOW?? I thought it was b-standard acting,the best bit of acting in it came from the liitle girl in it and in sticking with the topic of twists,come on like what a complety unfeasbile ending. (i dont wanna say why in case i spoil it and i dont have a clue how to put spoiler blocks in it)

All these "twists" are becomin unbearable. Reminds me of when i worked in a video shop, someone asked my manager was a film good and he said "yeah, theres a great twist at the end!" Hello like!! If ya know there's a twist then its not really a twist and thats whats happening as the cinema is now saturated with twists. Along with Usual suspects and Se7en, The 6th Sense is the last time ive been genuinely caught out and happy that i was!! Cant stand that empty feeling you get from a poorly constructed "twist" i.e. The Bone Collector as mentioned above.

Sometimes the best "twist" can be no twist!

By the way the twist to this rant: The butler typed it.......... DEN DEN DEN. (sorry couldnt resist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Everybody including me in the cinema where I watched Saw spent at least half of the film laughing at how bad it was. I agree though, the twist thing is getting a bit tired now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

if u dont like twists im guessing you didnt like Donnie Darko?

heh i think Twists are great ..there Original There Far better then the Standard Hollywood is dishing out at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

if u dont like twists im guessing you didnt like Donnie Darko?
    Could you really say Donnie Darko has a twist? It's not like you thought you knew what was going on and then something unexpected happened.

At the moment twists are very much over-used. Hollywood seems to think it's not a proper murder unless it's done by someone you know

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

In Saw, we had a horrible contrived twist ending, and personally I just wasn't a fan of this movie at all, whereas Memories of Murder there was no twist ending and I would rank it as one of the greatest Serial Killer movies I've ever seen in my life.
    You're just saying that because Memories of Murder was a Korean movie and Saw was Western.

(Just yankin' yr chain).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ObeyGiant wrote:
    You're just saying that because Memories of Murder was a Korean movie and Saw was Western.

(Just yankin' yr chain).

I'm just saying that Saw had a twist ending and Memories of Murder didn't, simply because one is 'Western' and the oteher was Korean? :confused:

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I'm just saying that Saw had a twist ending and Memories of Murder didn't, simply because one is 'Western' and the oteher was Korean? :confused:

;)
    Badly snipped quote. Curse this hangover. If I'd just left it at "I would rank it as one of the greatest Serial Killer movies I've ever seen in my life" it would have made a whole load more sense.

I'm going back to bed, dammit.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Badly snipped quote. Curse this hangover. If I'd just left it at "I would rank it as one of the greatest Serial Killer movies I've ever seen in my life" it would have made a whole load more sense.

Naw, much more fun when I can play with your meanings. ;)

Seriously though, amazing films. Have you seen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I must check this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I have no beef with plot twists but i do miss seeing the bad-guy smoking a cigar at the start of the movie waiting for the hero in his office... helps the brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

what about old boy?

madrab wrote:
    what about old boy?

Forgot about that, but the thing about that is, aside from the main 'twist' the ending really leaves you wondering, and it was handled far better than if it was just ending with the twist, like many lesser films do.
    The ending scene where he's being hypnotized, and she tells him he's split into two people, Oh Dae-Su and 'The Monster' who knows the secret and that the monster will walk away... Then when he wakes up, we see the footprints in the snow, and the tortured smile when he hugs Mido, really tweaks your imagination.
    Unlike
    OMG! T'was teh Corpse all along roflmao game over gg shots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

I saw a movie recently with a dreadful twist - 'Criminal' with John C Reilly and Diego Luna - a remake of 'Nine Queens'. The twist came literally one minute before the end, and completely ruined what had been up to that point an intriguing and well-acted flick. Ridiculous, preposterous.

I'm not going to give it away, but for anyone who's seen it, the movie should have ended after the scene with the Mexican guy on the bus.

Edit: 'Old Boy' was a pretty outstanding movie, all right. Good twist in that, I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I really like twists and think they can make a film miles better, handled well. The Saw twist was just crap! I mean, everyone (even on here) was like, "Wow! Twist of the decade, so far!" So I got the film, watched it and thought it was possibly the stupidest thing I had seen. And the doctor character! Hire a proper actor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think you'll find the opinion on Saw was pretty much split down the middle here. Half loved it and half hated it (I fall into the latter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've nothing against the general idea of a twist. Although sometimes it can take away some of the replay value from the movie.
    The twist for Oldboy changed the movie in my mind from being enjoyable to being freaking class. I came out of the cinema just saying...woah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A twist can be good. But the twists I have problems with are the typical predictable slasher genre "twists"....where there is someone implicated so obviously that it's clearly not them, and it turns out to be either a best friend, a boyfriend or someone who's barely even in the movie.

A good example is the movie Cherry Falls, which I bought recently. Crap film, but besides that, the serial killer turns out to be a totally ridiculous member of the cast, who featured for all of 10 minutes in the movie previous to this relevation in totally unrelated roles. And there wasn't even a single subtle clue to make you go "hmmm, I see!"

It was just like "Eh...right."

So in short, it's a certain kind of twist I despise. Unfortunately the said type of twist seems to dominate the mainstream market nowadays.

It's just getting too old....and ironically too predictable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I'm just tired of all these BAD movies, some of which just happen to be bad "twist" movies.

There has been (as has been mentioned) good films with twists in them made since SixthSense started making everyone horny for them back in '99 (eg DonnieDarko, Oldboy and Memento).

=====================
    5 bad movies with twists
    =====================
    The Sixth Sense
    The Others
    Unbreakable
    Saw
    The Usual Suspects

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Identity is another with a twist that just left me feeling cheated at the end. It felt like a complete cop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Yeah that was rubbish, and i've talked to a few people who thought it was a good twist. I slightly enjoyed it untill all the crap stuff started happening.

Hmm... Forgot about Memento aswell, absolutely excellent film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Pigman II wrote:
    =====================
    5 bad movies with twists
    =====================
    The Usual Suspects
    Repent and thou shalt be saved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Pigman II wrote:
    =====================
    5 bad movies with twists
    =====================

The Usual Suspects
    /Has heart attack!
    You must be joking it's a class film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Repent and thou shalt be saved!

No way! I'm just sick this movie and the fact that so many people seem to think it's the greatest thing since sliced eyeballs.

Basically it's a two hour pissing contest with a twist at the end that you'd have had to have been comatosed not to have twigged in time anyway. That's all it is as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

I love it when I’m watching a really good thriller and just at the end there's a twist, That know-ones expecting.
    like: Seven the Sixth Sense; ten out of ten in my opinion.

Love to see more like that.
    :)

I feel in the Usual Suspects not enough was made of Keyser Soze.
    He just seems like a sidestory until the end. I admit i thought it was Dean Keaton until you see the cop smiling drinking his coffee. Then i knew something was wrong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

It was one of the best twist movies I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Of twist movies mentioned, the last good one probably was the sixth sense
    i remember when i first saw it, the moment when everything clicked, my brother myself and my sister all gasped at once :)

i wouldnt say identity twist was terrible - it was good, and overwall was a decent movie IMo.

Right we all complain how predictable twists are

what DO you want in a movie then?

and have your hopes and needs Been in any movie you have seen RECENTLY?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Right we all complain how predictable twists are

what DO you want in a movie then?

and have your hopes and needs Been in any movie you have seen RECENTLY?
    Crash had no twist
    (no twist that changed the film entirely)
    , it had a well planned story and brilliant acting (leaving aside Brendan Fraser).
    It delivered very well and didn't do any of the lazy, formulaic rubbish of three-for-a-pound films that seem to just be churned off the production line these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Serenity ftw. now there's one hell of a movie :D fulfilled all my needs in one go :)

is serenity out?.. and by out i mean out in the states or did u aquire it some other devious way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its not out anywhere yet. There's been advance showings in various cities all over.

really?.. i must be blind

i cant wait for history of Violence

but guys this is totally off topic BACK ON TOPIC

Donnie darko has most untiredest Twist ever .. AGREED?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

really?.. i must be blind

i cant wait for history of Violence

but guys this is totally off topic BACK ON TOPIC

...so, Donnie Darko had a good twist? Is that what you're saying?

If so, I agree, was well done. What a zany film.

crash_000 wrote:
    Of twist movies mentioned, the last good one probably was the sixth sense
    i remember when i first saw it, the moment when everything clicked, my brother myself and my sister all gasped at once :)

i wouldnt say identity twist was terrible - it was good, and overwall was a decent movie IMo.

It was a very good movie, until the twist. I would have preferred that film with a completely different ending.

It's hardly a plot twist in Donnie Darko.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

I enjoy the odd twist now and again.. but I hate when I find out a movie has a twist and then, while watching it, I involuntarily am spending the whole movie trying to figure it out.. I like twists to catch me off guard completely. ie: so they have their maximum effect.. I admit though, that only a few movies have pulled off really great twists for me... it's a fine art..

of course, the worst is a ruined twist.. someone ruined the great Fight Club twist for me before I saw it.. so i enjoyed it for the most part, but there was no mounting tension or anything.. very upsetting.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 The Truth!

Sauron wrote:
    of course, the worst is a ruined twist.. someone ruined the great Fight Club twist for me before I saw it.. so i enjoyed it for the most part, but there was no mounting tension or anything.. very upsetting.. :mad:

LMAO, the same thing happened to me with Fight Club, but it was my Brother. I've hated him since! :D

CuLT wrote:
    ...so, Donnie Darko had a good twist? Is that what you're saying?

If so, I agree, was well done. What a zany film.

i donno i just love donnie darko so much that each time its like WOW

very few movies do that for me

how do u do multiple quotes in the one post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I wonder if this thread will have a twist ending...

Perhaps with Karl closing the thread with the declaration that he does actually love twist endings after all...

I don't think people would see that one coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wonder if this thread will have a twist ending...

Perhaps with Karl closing the thread with the declaration that he does actually love twist endings after all...

I don't think people would see that one coming.

Sharp...

now that you pointed it out people WILL expect that

we need something more TWIST now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How about Karl pulls off a rubber mask to reveal that he's actually M Night Shyamalan and that he's actually Mobile Infantry's father and that Mobile Infantry is actually a ghost and that soylent green is made of people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How about Karl pulls off a rubber mask to reveal that he's actually M Night Shyamalan and that he's actually Mobile Infantry's father and that Mobile Infantry is actually a ghost and that soylent green is made of people...
    There's probably some Hollywood writers reading your post and writing frantically with a pen now :)

And for "some Hollywood writers" read M Night Shyamalan :D

No, the real twist is... *I* was the Turkey ALL ALONG! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement