Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faith v's Sci ?(Black v's wihite)?

• 02-09-2005 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

In the interim, the show seems to be going in the direcction of the above...

So... a quick straw poll never killled anyone... did it?

Are you faith, or are you science?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have faith in the science of destiny...

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭kinda lost

ive been confused about beliving in faith for a long time so i cant decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Both? I have Faith...but you dont dismiss science.

But its hardly the same thing for Lost...Locke doesn't have Faith in a religion...he has faith in the island...

As for the black v White thing,I think it applies to FAith v Science,but rather people. Because both Faith and Science have their dark sides and their light sides...i.e. crazy fundamentalist religious nuts (from all religions),and men of science creating "the bomb",basically giving us the ability to destroy all human life within a matter of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

Who is shaping up to be on which side? Or do we know? Can we speculate here?

Hard to say in relation to the black v white stone thing,is locke a bad guy? or is he the real good guy? jack seems like the good guy but could his denial prove to do more harm than good as the island obviosuly seems to be a character itself. Thats why i love this show...you never really know :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

the OP never specified whether or not this was a UK, IRL or US thread so im gonna include thoughts from the whole season, mmmk(so including spoiler tags for everything i write)

first off my general thoughts on topic:
    so the whole seaon has led upto faith vs. science, white vs. black etc...
    with both John & Jack leading opposing sides, i dont know if its really gonna lead anywhere, but at the moment evidence is definitely suggesting that.
    John Locke & Jack Sheppard
    i think whats most interesting about these guys is how at first they seem almost polar opposites but slowly you get evidence how similiar they are(no matter how subtle), they're both strong willed and manipulative, and even though Jack is generally a person who thinks with his head, he wears his heart on his sleeve while John is a man of faith, but keeps himself guarded, and doesnt open up to strangers easily.
    John likes the idea of being a mentor, and manipulating people into trusting him(at first Walt, then Charlie and finally Boone), he has a deep sense of trust in the island, and is most dangerous for me personally in this aspect, we've already seen how the island can manipulate him(what with regaining the use of his legs and his obsession with the hatch) and which has tragic consequences in 'Deus ex Machina' with Boone, and yet that episode is his finest so far because he finally sees the island for what it truly is, is felt betrayed by the island, but is finally rewarded somewhat for all his hard work, from a WHITE light protruding from the hatch, re-energising his faith.
    neither Jack nor John are good or bad, they're just very similiar human beings on opposite sides of the spectrum(i'll write more about Jack another time)

in terms of groupings(upto season 1 finale but excluding season 2 characters)
    Locke
    Charlie
    charlie
    Claire[/spoiler
    Sayid
    Shannon
    Jin
    Sun
    Michael
    Jack
    Kate
    Sawyer
    Hurley

so....
    Locke
    Charlie
    Claire
    Sayid
    Jack
    Kate
    Sawyer
    fringe:
    Hurley(poor guy is on his own but currently deviating to Jacks group i think)
    Michael
    Jin
    Sun
    Shannon

good stuff herobear...interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

I have a feeling Sun and Jin may end up on opposite sides, to sort of reinforce the idea that 'The Island' can really mess things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am really starting to like locke he is so mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

This post referes to Exodus 2 of 3 when Jack and Locke are removing the sticks of dynamite from the crate(after Arnzt goes Bye-Bye) . Their converstation about opperation symbolises a middle ground. Locke's toys and Jack's medcine.
    Black and wite merging. Could this mean that there is hope for union between the two philophies on the island?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Orange Elephant

Who cares. Its up to the writers, not you.

*cough*...troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

generally im a man of science but when it comes to lost id have to say man of faith, locke is a class act ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

Who cares? Well I do! And did i say it was up to me? No! I was just trying to be all cool and insightful. But seriously i find your point very valad because i don't want any enimies on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Orange Elephant

Who cares? Well I do! And did i say it was up to me? No! I was just trying to be all cool and insightful. But seriously i find your point very valad because i don't want any enimies on this forum.

Much appreciated. Dont want any enemies either, just want everyone to realize how ridiculous the whole signature thing is.

Much appreciated. Dont want any enemies either, just want everyone to realize how ridiculous the whole signature thing is.

To you,maybe,what would be your opinion. Like I said,bit of a laugh,if you don't have anything productive to add,sod off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just wanted to point out that a lot of the sigs are getting a bit silly in size. Remember that there are sig guidelines and you could lose your sig pic if Cloud runs his sigbot...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60479

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

i am faith definitely with a small splattering of science, but i thought science was black and white? isnt faith the grey area.

Advertisement