Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixture pile ups are holding the big Eircom clubs back

• 02-09-2005 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Cork are through to the first round proper and like Shelbourne roughly this time last season they face a huge amount of fixtures in a short amount of time.

Its probably going to affect the results for them in either Europe or the league or probably both. Isnt it about time that the FAI or the league worked on this crazy fixture list so that Eircom League clubs have a great chance of progressing in Europe ?

If Cork do beat Slavia, which isnt impossible seeing how Slavia are having a dreadful start to their season, two of the games (starting on October 20th) will be played before the end of the season. The other two games will be after the Eircom League finishes.

Group stage

* Matchday 1 20 October 2005
    * Matchday 2 03 November 2005
    * Matchday 3 24 November 2005
    * Matchday 4 30 Nov & 01 Dec 2005
    * Matchday 5 14 & 15 December 2005

Im not sure how things are done in other leagues. But the league should have a extended period after the 18th of Novemeber if need be. Sooner or later the league will have to continue later because some Eircom League club will make it to the group stages.

any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

jubbly wrote:
    Fixture pile ups are holding the big Eircom clubs back

Put this down as another problem for the LOI.

There's another thread on several LOI problems, suggested solutions, etc "How to improve the Eircom League" ......

I agree its a problem. The solution would be to revert to a "winter" league and get back in sync with all the major leagues in Europe.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I dont know if that would be the best option Redspider. We probably wouldnt be able to put away the first few teams in the first and second round qualifiers. Moving the league a few weeks or month might work though. Although this might clash with the Setanta Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

redspider wrote:
    P The solution would be to revert to a "winter" league and get back in sync with all the major leagues in Europe.

redspider

No, because, if the LOI/eL reverted to such, our clubs wouldnt be in such a position they currently find themselves in.

Remember, its no coincidence that eL clubs, namely CCFC and Shels, have started progressing in Europe, and the 'summer' league was implemented.

Couple that with the fact that attendances, in many cases, are up, there is no need to switch back. Indeed, I know from personal experience, that the new format has attracted former barstoolers, and they come along to all games now, while still enjoying televised footy.

That aside, as for the original post, I think the FAI need to do soemthing, one thing which has to happen is the Euro participants should get a bye past they first round of the League Cup. Also, start the league one week earlier, and end it one week later would solve alot of problems as it would open up a few more weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Reverting back to winter league would be a disaster

there is a few reason for this , I used to love stading in oriel park on a thursday night in the lashing freezing cold rain it is what football was to me believe it or not when i say that , so when i was watching my team play summer football at first i thought "this isnt going to work" but after a few games i noticed a few more people coming along to that matches for the simpel reason been its a nice summers evening etc bring the kids to teh football , this has happened to many clubs i refuse to belive that attendances have gone down since summer league football , this in turn brings in higher revenue for the club and allows teh club to do what they will with the extra money they receive , alll the Major clubs have benefited from this perfect by rasing the profile of teh club and allowing some of them to go full time , that i honestly would not think would happen if we had of played the way we were playing , Also when the european compitions come around we are half way through our season and our players are fit and this gives us a slight advantage over our competitors , why change this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

redspider wrote:
    I agree its a problem. The solution would be to revert to a "winter" league and get back in sync with all the major leagues in Europe.

redspider

Not a hope. There is too many positives with Summer soccer.

Winter Soccer...Mud, cancelled fixtures(last minute), Cold, Wet, ****ty training conditions, not suited to quick skillfull players, ****ty euro results.

AHHHHHGH! :eek:

Phew, it was only a dream. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

The simple solution for me is, extend the season. What's our off season now, fully four months roughly? Daft. Why the need for so long without the football fix? Either play until later or start earlier, that gives more space to play refixed fixtures withut having crazy amounts of them in short spaces of time.

Either that or play on saturdays/sundays, but I just can't see that working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

jubbly wrote:
    C

any ideas ??

Stop winning games?

kdjac

Well Ive got the solution. Simply give all European games the priority and extend the season by a month if need be. Clubs shouldnt have to play 2 games a week (1 european and 1 EL). Eventually if/when Ireland has a stronger league regularly in the CL / UEFA Cup group stages then moving the league later into winter can be considered. I dont know if a complete move to winter starting in autumn would be such a good idea though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The league should be extended by 3 weeks clearing up many hectic shcedules and giving teams proper time between games .

'The solution would be to revert to a "winter" league and get back in sync with all the major leagues in Europe.'

lol :D.................no seriously what would you suggest ?

who is that post your talking about Big Ears ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

jubbly wrote:
    who is that post your talking about Big Ears ?

It's redspider's , he's a firm beleiver of the Winter league and thinks that the LOI should run at the same time as the English Premier League .

Advertisement