Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out when I can get broadband

• 02-09-2005 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in a new development and Eircom have just recently installed new phone lines. I was planning to get broadband, however it turns out the lines are not broadband compatible. I checked on Eircom's website and it says my local area has broadbadn!! I tried phoning Eircom and their Sales people won't tell me when I will be able to receive broadband.

I'm having the same issue with NTL. I can receive Digital, in my house but not broadband. Again their Sales People won't tell me how long I wil have to wait.

I have very little knowledge on this area. Can anyone maybe explain why the above is happening and where I can go for further infromation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you have to wait up to 4 weeks for a line test , this is logged in a database and is available to all DSL providers thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I was told by Eircom that I had to wait for 10 days after my line was installed, to test for broadband.

I did this and after 10 days they tested and I was told it was not ready for broadband. All the Sales person said was that new lines needed to be installed and they couldn't give a date.

I was still very much in the dark after this.

what connect speeds do you get with your modem and how far away is your exchange ? eircom may not have tested at all yet and lied to you instead :)

alternatively you may have a new number block that they have not tested becuase it is not on their database .

Well I have not actually even tried to connect my machine over the phone line yet. I just phoned up their Sales number and asked them if I could have broadband. The answer was as I outlined above.

I also tested my number on Eircom's website as well as few other sites and it also failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Go to www.netsource.ie, click the button that says Check Line(s). If your line has been tested, it will show you the test date. If it gives some other strange error that I can't remember what it is, then it means the line has never been tested.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this

I went to this link and put in my number. There is no test date and I get the resutl message 'Incomplete result.**
    Please contact our Sales Department on 01-4336000 or email sales@netsource.ie

** Reasons why this line may display as an incomplete result:
    The line may not have a test result, for example this may be a new phone line.
    This line may be in a phone exchange that is not fully enabled for DSL.

Thanks for this

I went to this link and put in my number. There is no test date and I get the resutl message 'Incomplete result.**
    Please contact our Sales Department on 01-4336000 or email sales@netsource.ie

** Reasons why this line may display as an incomplete result:
    The line may not have a test result, for example this may be a new phone line.
    This line may be in a phone exchange that is not fully enabled for DSL.

It says "Incomplete" which means NEVER TESTED .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

A few simple questions first:-
    • Where do you live?
    • How far are you from Eircom exchange?
    • Are you in an apartment?
    This will help with establising a few facts about why you can or cant get DSL

I live in Lanesborough on St.Margaret's Road near Finglas village

I haven't a clue how far I am from the Eircom Exchange (how do I find this out?)

I live in a Duplex apartment. It's a Courtyard set-up (3 stories), with single apartments at the ground level and then duplexes built on top.

• Advertisement

DerryRed wrote:
    I live in Lanesborough on St.Margaret's Road near Finglas village

I haven't a clue how far I am from the Eircom Exchange (how do I find this out?)

I live in a Duplex apartment. It's a Courtyard set-up (3 stories), with single apartments at the ground level and then duplexes built on top.

The reason for the distance is :- DSL only works over aout 4km from the exchange, outside if this is no use. I'm not familiar with the location of the exchange but other Boadsters may know

also, if the deloper have put a pliter on your line if soemone else has BB in you block it may restrict you getting it.

I was in a simillar boat, failed both tests the line test and the phicical test as I was too far from the exchange!

How about waiting for a test result before we start with the theories?

Blaster99 wrote:
    How about waiting for a test result before we start with the theories?

not theories, they are facts! they wont bother testing or will fobb off if you are too far from the exchange!

The fact is that Eircom tests every line on an enabled exchange once a month. On a new line you need to wait for up to a month for this to happen.

Advertisement