Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mixing Oil Types

Options
  • 02-09-2005 11:14am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is it ok to mix different oil types ?

I was running a bit low yesterday and wasn't sure what was already in there so I topped it up with some magnatec. Now I'm wondering if that kind of thing is ok (assuming both types meet manufacturers specs), or should I be considering a full change ASAP. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I done the same awhile back and i am not sure if it done any damage like. I dont think it will harm the engine. I get change the oil regularly anyway. So its up to you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

It depends on the oil type.
    You might get away with mixing semi-synth if they are similar (ie different brands but both 10w40 etc)
    Mixing full synth is a bad idea, sometimes they can react to eachother.
    But I suppose mixing oil is better than no oil.....so your call.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I trust this guy
    His page says...both yes and no depending on the mix!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That really was more than I ever wanted to know about oil :)

Very usefull link though, thanks. I think I'll try and get it changed over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What sort of car is it. Assuming it isn't anything exotic then there's no need to worry or go changing the oil. The oil that was in it already was probably mineral or semi synth. If the stuff you put is was also mineral or semi synth and was of the correct grade and met the specs required by the manufacturer then it will be fine. It's not going to "react" or explode or anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree with the others - it should be grand and you would know if your car had fully synthetic in it as your basic service bill would be huge!
    I would be more concerned at why there was a drop in the oil level. How often do you check it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's a Seat Leon (ie VW Golf), so standard enough. It's just occured to me know that the service history might show what they put in, I'll check that when I get home.
    kbannon wrote:
    I would be more concerned at why there was a drop in the oil level. How often do you check it?
    I actually just picked it up last week, the dealer said he'd have all the levels etc checked and for some reason I just assumed he would, so I'm in a situation now where it could be that he just didn't bother, or it could have lost a lot since he did. I'll keep an eye on it for the next week or two and see how it goes.

Advertisement