Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nailbiting

• 02-09-2005 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have this problem since I was v young with biting my nails..

I really want to stop this habit, I know its a terrible and very unhygenic etc habit but I "can't" stop.. I find that I'm very disappointed in myself at doing it and can go almost a week without biting them and the nails grow nicely but then I get bored again and the nails are gone!

I'm tried everything over years, from being killed by my parents for doing it right through to various 'putrid' concoctions that I've painted on to my nails.. Its driving me mad!

I was looking around a bit on the web about the effectiveness of using hypnosis to try and resolve it, so was interested in hearing first what methods others have used to successfully stop, and second what experience - if any, anyone has with hypnosis as a way of resolving this 'biting' issue!

Enda
    --

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You said variuos concoctions, I've heard that a doc can prescribe you stuff to put on them, is this what you've tried??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

My sister used to bite her nails the whole time. My mother got her this clear liquid that you apply to them and tastes absolutely horrible. She soon stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Dave wrote:
    My sister used to bite her nails the whole time. My mother got her this clear liquid that you apply to them and tastes absolutely horrible. She soon stopped.

yeah thats what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭endanagle

Yep,

Tried all that varish stuff, and it still doesn't make me stop.. I know it sounds gross but I just get used to the taste and carry on! I even tried stuff from France that I'd say you could strip paint with and no luck!

That's why I'm thinking about hypnosis.. I need to break the habit big-time now at this stage and am determined to be done with it by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hypnosis can help with that sort of behaviour a lot.

Keep your nails well trimmed and filed so there's less to bite.

A bit of bitrex painted on (I assume that or similar is the "concoction" you mention) couldn't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ADUB?

Gloves on your hands when u sleep, try wear gloves during day
    Know it sounds stupid but it can work if you leave them on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

from your name i'm assuming your male i could be wrong if i am forgive me
    but i used fake nails and it completely stopped me
    if it really does bother than try the hypnonsis but make sure you check the credentials first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Turn it around: stop thinking about stopping, concentrate on having good nails.

If you feel like bitin', then do something else - file your nails (if female), drum your fingers (if male).

When your nails start to be in good order, go for a weekly manicure - it'll give you incentive to keep them nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Bitting nails can be terribly obessive and as well as looking totally rank it is also really bad for your teeth too.

Can you imagine getting down to business with a someone you really fancy- touching, feeling, caressing her beautiful skin and getting really turned then just as she's about to kiss your fingertips you realise that your hideous hands
    have been all over this person?

Using imagery like that helped my friend quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

el tel wrote:
    Can you imagine getting down to business with a someone you really fancy- touching, feeling, caressing her beautiful skin and getting really turned then just as she's about to kiss your fingertips you realise that your hideous hands
    have been all over this person?
    Also, it can leave sharp bits to your nails that can scratch painfully (when not desired) and rip latex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Typical punitive Irish attitudes. Ah, Catholic guilt isn't dead.

Take a look on amazon.com under "nailbiting", there's a couple of books there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭endanagle

thanks guys,

i'll take a look at amazon luckat.. hopefully i'll manage to stop.. i'll try the book and if not think i'll give the hypnosis a go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

luckat wrote:
    Excuse me, but are you trying to say?

OP: As mentioned above hypnosis is supposed to be very good for this problem. I have heard that bitter clear liquid only works for certain people, i girl i know even used to bite through the bitter taste :eek:

Try look at all the negative sides of doing this and learn some self control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

luckat wrote:
    Turn it around: stop thinking about stopping, concentrate on having good nails.
    Yeah, I used to bite my nails a good but and I always thought my nails looked horrible. Then I went on this good grooming jag and I just went cold turkey on biting my nails so that I could have nice finger tips. And it worked! Now I only ever bite my nails when They get kinda long and I know I'm gonna clip and file them in a day or two.

*Looks at nails*

Awwww yeeeaaahhhhhhh. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

luckat wrote:

Take a look on amazon.com under "nailbiting", there's a couple of books there.

I'm a nail biter, have been for as long as I can remember, and I followed this advice earlier this evening which led me to this site - http://www.stopyournailbiting.com/

I bought the ebook on Amazon.co.uk, cost about 10 euros, just finished reading it, took about an hour and am going to start using the technique is teaches immediately.

Before reading it I was very sceptical, thinking it was typical marketing bull trying to juice you for a few quid. But I can already see the logic and effectiveness of this technique and am sure it'll work if I put my mind to it. It involves a rubber band! :)

Check it out endanagle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. I found that by biting only one nail on each hand (such as the thumb), you can cut down on biting your nails, and then you can stop. Also, buy some chewing gum (such as Blue Extra), and chew it everytime you feel like chewing your nails. Works mostly for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dreamcatcher

shellby wrote:
    from your name i'm assuming your male i could be wrong if i am forgive me
    but i used fake nails and it completely stopped me
    if it really does bother than try the hypnonsis but make sure you check the credentials first

Can't work the name out! Why does it sound more male than female!? :)
    Anyways, I was going to suggest the same thing! Go to a beauty salon and ask them about false nails. Never had them done myself(I work with with my hands a lot, so it would make life a tad difficult), but I imagine that they would deffo do the trick. Plus by all accounts, they are expensive.

Failing that you could take up chain smoking or something to keep your hands busy. (In jest :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I am a chronic nail biter and i realy enjoy it. Why stop?

omg you are such a racist. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

omg you are such a racist. :D
    Explain that comment please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement