Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol additives

Options
  • 02-09-2005 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a few of these being advertised which claim to do various different things including improving feul economy. What with petrol prices being so high I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using them and if so which ones actually do what they claim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Yeh I'd be interested in this information too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Additives mainly claim to clean out the injection system using chemicals, do they work? Well it depends who you ask.

If you want to save fuel the best way to do so is to drive with fuel economy in mind. Which rules out all boy racers. Learn how to anticapate traffic conditions/traffic lights etc so less braking is required. Empty out the boot and the backseats/parcel shelf. Make sure your tyres are correctly inflated, soft rubber uses quite a bit of fuel. As much as is possible plan your journey so to avoid known congestion points, sitting in traffic is expensive (unless you drive a diesel in which case its almost free).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

mike65 wrote:
    ...Learn how to anticapate traffic conditions/traffic lights etc so less braking is required. Empty out the boot and the backseats/parcel shelf. Make sure your tyres are correctly inflated, soft rubber uses quite a bit of fuel. As much as is possible plan your journey so to avoid known congestion points, sitting in traffic is expensive (unless you drive a diesel in which case its almost free).

Mike.
    In addition to the above:
    It's been calculated (by men in white coats I presume) that, if you are stopped for >30s in traffic, you will save fuel by switching off the engine; I would assume that the advantage increases with bigger engines. Since I started doing this I've noticed better overall fuel economy. I'm amazed at how many people leave their engines running when stopped at railway crossings.

Advertisement