Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starship troopers demo is out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sweeeeeeeeet

I'm working through break today to get home early just to play this baby as soon as possible.

Cheers for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

its great fun :) i always liked the film
    fairly hard tho :S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Ri_Nollaig wrote:

good, i wanted this to be hard, couldnt imagine being able to beat a swarm of insectoids without dieing at least 20 times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ri_Nollaig wrote:

film was crap, but hopefully the game will be good ... goin'a kill me s'um bug scum ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Slightly off topic, but if anyone has Half-Life 2 there is a new mod on Steam that is a kinda re-make of the last stand scene from the movie ... basically you are a combine soldier in a outpost that is being over run by AntLions

anyway, back to the demo ... looks good, but my PC is currently in a shipping yard with Komplett.ie so it will be a few days till i get to play it :D

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    film was crap, but hopefully the game will be good ... goin'a kill me s'um bug scum ...

How dare you make little of such an incredible sci-fi epic......the cheek of you... you.... young pup :p

Only reason I want the damn game is because I adore the film....

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

The film was a whopper! Whata ye sayin? It appeals to the 10 year old action film loving kid inside me.

Downloading now, 10%...
    Hope the demo's good cos I wouldn't buy the game.

Downloading now, god I can't wait for this mofo to be done.... :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

/me rubs his 3mb come to asok!!!

I loved the two movies cant wait to give this a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Slightly off topic, but if anyone has Half-Life 2 there is a new mod on Steam that is a kinda re-make of the last stand scene from the movie ... basically you are a combine soldier in a outpost that is being over run by AntLions

You meen thishttp://antlions.hl2world.com/index.php

• Advertisement

Asok wrote:
    /me rubs his 3mb come to asok!!!

I loved the two movies cant wait to give this a shot!

Just another 350mb for me.... :(

/wow, someone else who liked the second movie.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I never even saw the second movie, but the first was great, must get around to buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Just another 350mb for me.... :(

/wow, someone else who liked the second movie.... :)

If you want it you only have to travel as far as town, I'll do you a copy?

Its almost half way done already, but thanks anyway.....I should be hammering away at Arachnid scum within the hour :D

God I can't wait.....cannot wait....The original SST game was pretty bland and I thought a waste of the up close, gritty ugilness potential a game license had.

Forgot - my name is taken from SST btw for all those non SST fans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Most people miss the satrical aspect of the first movie. I thought it was great myself. The second one is dire beyond belief.

30% @ 111kb/s. Tee hee hee.

qz wrote:
    I never even saw the second movie, but the first was great, must get around to buying it.

Bit off topic but the ultimate key to enjoying SST2 is NOT comparing it to the first movie.

Hard not to but its just as completely different type a movie as could be. Swap Epic battlefields and mind blowing futuristic set pieces for cramped and dark bland hallways, with little variation. Think Alien with more gore and superb special effects.

Bit off topic but the ultimate key to enjoying SST2 is NOT comparing it to the first movie.

Hard not to but its just as completely different type a movie as could be. Swap Epic battlefields and mind blowing futuristic set pieces for cramped and dark bland hallways, with little variation. Think Alien with more gore and superb special effects.

I'll rent it one of these days, btw: %100. Back later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Most people miss the satrical aspect of the first movie. I thought it was great myself. The second one is dire beyond belief.
    The book is excellent if a little bit short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Getting it now , you freaks who liked the 2nd movie .....shame on you...

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It a good fun old fashioned mindless shooter but whats up with the recommended specs? 3 GHz 1 gig of ram and a 6800? Even with every thing on high the game doesn’t look anywhere near good enough to require those specs

Anyone know the offical requirements? I'm running a 3.4ghz with 1gig ram and an x800se.

Ram and cpu are fine, but I'm slightly worried about my card....

Recommended: 3.0ghz CPU, 1Gb RAM, GeForce 6800 or Radeon X800 [1024x768 with shadows], DirectX 9.0c, 600mb free hard drive space, Windows XP ONLY, DirectX compatible PCI soundcard.

Minimum: 2.0ghz CPU, 512mb RAM, GeForce FX5900 or Radeon 9800 [800x600 with shadows], DirectX 9.0c, 600mb free hard drive space, Windows XP ONLY.

Note: Shadows are very intensive on hardware. It is advised that you lower the video resolution if you desire shadows. The game will run at a reasonable framerate with low quality terrain shadows and no dynamic shadows using an FX5600 video card at 800x600 video resolution.

Cheers Bizmark. Never bothered with shadows anyway, so I should be able run it at maybe 1024x768 with most options on....

well im able to play it with every thing on high at 1024x768 + shadows on with my 2600xp 1gig of ram 6800gt system so you should be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

its in this months pc gamer :D:D

It's very poor.

Lovely weapon model for the morita, sound effects not great. Love the shotgun combo. Arachnids look great, enviroment looks great, your fellow soldiers look like - literally almost something from the days of Unreal Tournament. Models of dead soldiers look worse then something from Half Life original, and this is no joke.

Controls felt slightly sluggish, but nothing major. Music is crap too - an attempt to mimic Pouldouris' score from the movie but falls fall.

Opening sequence is rubbish - about as exciting as emptying a bin. Shoot at a few bugs that seem very few on a large landscape. Surely they could have thrown in a lot more bugs for the demo, to really wow us.

Overall, pretty crap, not even going to bother trying to play it again.

Unrelated really, but difficultly is unreal. Had to revert to easy and still found it hard to get past some packs of maurading warriors... :o

Unless the game improves big time I personally give this two thumbs down.

Below is a screen from pc. Runs fine at max everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

They really need to work on the sound, the music is crap. Wich is sad because the movies was so good. I turned off the music and put on the StarShip troopers theme in the background. :D

And its a bit ****e when the Arachnids instantly turn into a green pile of gue, because they look good when moveing around. The humans look like crap.

I ran it @800x600 with shadows on low with a go6600 and 1.73 centrino.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i dont think is that bad its fun :D killing bugs :)
    runs perfectly on high settings 1280*1024 on my a64 3400+ 1gig ram 6800gt
    but it is very hard even on easy no quick save either but that cud b just the demo

and tbh i didnt expect much from it so wasnt disappointed :o

• Advertisement

Whats the deal with the music? They have this absolutely ****ty poor SST imitation music in the game, which I ended up turning off. Then in the end of the demo they have the full music score, which if used in the actual demo would have improved things no end. :confused:

Also, how an EARTH do you get past the huge swarm of bugs at the minelayer/crash site? :confused: There was about 50 bugs, killed them with shotgun until my ammo ran out and then ran until I was sliced to death? How do you get past this part?

Advertisement