Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ebay Seller Best postage method?

• 02-09-2005 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

This is a question for sellers .. what is the best method of postage & who would you use?

i have been using SDS for some of my international sales .. but 22 euro for air mail seems a bit steep for 0.5 kg.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Why use SDS? use an post. they post anythign up to 2 kg if im right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

i need a method of tracking items & geting sign offs .. i didnt think standard post did that, i could be wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

blahblah06 wrote:
    Why use SDS? use an post. they post anythign up to 2 kg if im right
    SDS is an-post*
    *the parcel delivery devision of an-post.

Example: My local postman delivers me my daily letters. then hands me an SDS package from ebay.

Tbh, we dont really have much choice at competitive prices rally.
    In the US they have a fair bti of choice of providers.
    hence the rock-bottom prices for US shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

If you are posting a large envelope with books is it classed as a package (SDS able) or can the be sent as registered post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dont want to change the topic of the thread

but right won a new collectors edition of half life 2 for only 8.50 GBP
    and the seller wants 12.00GBP for postage

12.00 GBP for postage hes have a laugh right

what can i do to reduce the postage

the seller is just pissed of he only sold it for 8.50GBP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

mate u can send anythign by normal an post mail and not sds anything up to 2 kg and its cheap as chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,380 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

dont want to change the topic of the thread

but right won a new collectors edition of half life 2 for only 8.50 GBP
    and the seller wants 12.00GBP for postage

12.00 GBP for postage hes have a laugh right

what can i do to reduce the postage

the seller is just pissed of he only sold it for 8.50GBP

I take it you did not contact the seller before you bid to agree a P&P price to Ireland? (did the ad state P&P within the UK?)

You cannot do much apart from not pay.

I take it you did not contact the seller before you bid to agree a P&P price to Ireland? (did the ad state P&P within the UK?)

You cannot do much apart from not pay.
    there was only 3 mins to go
    so i couldnt contact the seller
    i have him paid now any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Not much use to many but this was recently discussed on the ebay forums with the conclusion being that if you live even remotely near the border it's well worth the trip up with a few packages to save on postage and get the tracking.

Selling without some form of tracking is a bad idea imho you leave yourself very open to claims of non-delivery (which you can't prove).

Registered post here is a rip-off. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

there was only 3 mins to go
    so i couldnt contact the seller
    i have him paid now any way

When you get the package, check how much postage he actually paid and add the cost of the envelope. If this all adds up then fine, but if he has way overcharged you then confront him about it and when leaving feedback for him you can make mention of his overcharging so that others can see.
    Charging over the odds for P&P is very much frowned upon on Ebay.

• Advertisement

When you get the package, check how much postage he actually paid and add the cost of the envelope. If this all adds up then fine, but if he has way overcharged you then confront him about it and when leaving feedback for him you can make mention of his overcharging so that others can see.
    Charging over the odds for P&P is very much frowned upon on Ebay.
    sure will
    just cant see it costing 12.00gbp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

look.
    Most sellers charge over the odds for P&P.
    Theres no 'confronting' about it.
    he has every right to charge you anything he wishes (within reason) for postage, packing, handling, etc....because, you never asked him the price before buying the item.
    He will tell you as much.
    And if you leave him negative feedback, expect negative feedback in return.
    the seller hasn't actually done anything wrong. Just overcharged you slightly for P&P&H.
    Will your one point of Neg feedback make any difference to him?
    Will the point you get in return make much difference to you?
    Lets assume your point decreases his rating by .5% (assuming he's sold an average of an item or so every 2 days for the last year)
    And his point will decrease your rating by a lot more, as you wil have much less transactions on ebay, you seem new to it.(no burn there, just making an example.) for example if this is your 3th ebay item to buy, he will bring your rating down to 66%.

That would be detrimental to any future purchases you make. Expect a lot of sellers to refuse to sell to someone with 66% feeedback.
    my 0.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

when you recieve the package, the postal cost is usually up on the top right hand corner under the Royal mail Mark... worth giving out to him if its only like £6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,380 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ebay allow sellers to charge Shipping & Handling, this means that the price quoted may be more than the actual postage cost. This does not mean that £12 is a reasonable charge.

I have been stung like this before and I will now only bid/buy from a seller who states the S&H charge in the ad or who has replyed to an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What was his postage quote within the UK? I usually only get charged £1-2 more.
    In the states some charge more because they have the hassle of customs slips. What pisses me off is US sellers who offer free post within the US but will charge $40 for post to here, for the same item I know costs only $6.50 for postage. If they were willing to ship free within the US then you should also get at least the free packaging and handling, and only be charged the actual additional cost up and over the US cost of posting, and maybe a bit more for the customs handling.

I have never been stung, I always ask for a quote.

I once got a book and the post was $18, he had another book I wanted too after the sale, I asked how much extra and he said nothing as it was still under weight. I made him an offer for it and he pulled the sale early, I got the second book cheap, I explained it was worth his while as he only had to take one trip to the post office. I put the extra book in as an additional cost when paying. The payment went through paypal in one go so it would have been hard to rip me off, I could have left feedback. He had a good rating anyway.

sure will
    just cant see it costing 12.00gbp
    guess what i got 6.00gbp refund for postage

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Last year I got into a bit of a selling frenzy and used onlyuse normal post.After a worried email from soneone who didn't get their item the day after I posted it to them (In the UK) I decided that I would offer ordinary and registered post for items. After a while I decided to stick with registered post, It worked well, wasn't all that dear and gave everybody reassurance - people like to be able to get a tracking number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I frequently post envelopes weighing 725g to Britain
    (725g is the weight of an average hardback book in an envelope IMHO)

Because of an posts pricing structure I must pay the [1kg] [package] price.

I would prefer to pay a [750g] [large envelope] price.

I'm making 2 points. [weight increments once above 500g should be in 250g's not 500g's] and, not as important and possibly there is a reason [750g should be allowed as a large envelope]

I'm already using economy instead of airmail, most of my buyers are in Britain and its hard to compete with Brisith based sellers because of my high postage cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stressedout

Hi there

We use the post office for all of our eBay sales. The majority of our customers are in the UK though and postage is expensive. We haven't sent anything Registered Post as it costs an additional €4.00.

We only charge for postage and packaging. But most of the time the packaging cost is not covered. We've had a number of cases were the postage we charged did not cover the cost of the item.

Last Monday we sent an item to the UK and the postage cost €8.00. We had charged the customer exactly €8.00. Yesterday we posted the same item to the UK mainland again and it cost €12.80. So we were out of pocket by €4.80, our profit pretty much gone.

We have tried weighting everything but it is always different at the post office. Even for same item and package.

eBay need to do a deal with a courier company for a discounted service. Or better still setup there own courier company!!

Wishful thinking......

K
    www.giftedgifts.ie

So many times I have posted an envelope to "rest of world" (that usually means USA) that weight say 525g and so I have to pay the 1kg price. You see once you get above 500g the increments are in 500g's.

I've tried everything to reduce weight, not including the paypal packing slip (saving the weight of one piece of paper), buying the exact postage in an post (they weigh it before they affix their own stamp so I don't have to pay for the weight of mine), using bubblewrap envelopes instead of padded envelopes, anything to save weight, economy instead of airmail is an option but the timeframe is unattractive to potential purchasers.

I could try DHL or another acronym courier but that would be more likely to attract US customs, who would charge the buyer a tax (and so I'd likely receive negative feedback)

• Advertisement

I've found its best to

not go into the counter in the post office to have your item weighed they only seem to weigh and not measure envelope dimensions, which ends up in a higher cost to the poster.

This is true in busy post offices, maybe if you use a rural one you they might take the time.

Advertisement