Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy racers Sergeant says public not prepared to give evidence

Options
  • 02-09-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

A WEXFORD garda sergeant single-handedly 'halted' a convoy of between 40 and 60 boy racers on the outskirts of Wexford on Saturday night following numerous complaints about dangerous driving.

But Sgt. Dan Redmond said the people making the complaints were not prepared to go to court to give evidence against the boy racers and all he and other officers could do was to bring proceedings against them for minor traffic offences.

'People need to stand up and be counted. I spoke to a lot of irate motorists complaining about their driving on Saturday night, but there's no point in growling, or making a complaint, unless they are prepared to go to court,' said the sergeant.

'We (only) slowed them down,' said Sgt. Redmond, who was initially dealing with the convoy by himself after it stopped on the N25 at Davidstown, Barntown.

Because of the large numbers of boy racers and the volume of traffic on the road, Sgt. Redmond called in support from the garda traffic division.

Sgt. Redmond said proceedings would be taken for traffic offences, such as driving while unaccompanied, and having illegal number plates on their vehicles, but so no-one who had reported incidents of dangerous driving along the N25 on Saturday night was prepared to go to court.

Last week, the head of the garda traffic division in the county, Inspector Mick Walsh said the gardai planned to target boy racers before someone was killed on the roads because of their actions.

'We have been targeting boy racers with intelligence and we're getting information about the times and places these boys come out to play, but we need more,' said Insp. Walsh.

Sgt. Redmond said the first report he received about the boy racer convoy was when they were driving past the garda barracks in New Ross at around 8 p.m. on Saturday.

He said that after his checks on the convoy near Barntown, he was told the boy racers had then driven on to Jack White's Cross in County Wicklow.

(c) Wexford People

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Ahh nothing like good old local country journalism at it's best ...

Thats made me laugh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Dan Redmond is well known amongst the denizens of Wexford as an implacable opponent (both in thought and deeds) of the nefarious and perfidious crime of after hours drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

What got me was Boyracer Sargent .. as if he was a Boyracer and Sargent rolled into one ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't see the joke myself but I'm not 20 with a 'boom boom' exhaust drain pipe.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

These "boyracers" should have their licences taken off them until their cars conform to the standards the rest of us ahear to, ie; displaying the correct type of reg plate, not having tinted glass unless they have a limo and the noise output of the exhaust should be within legal limits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

jd wrote:

'We have been targeting boy racers with intelligence"

(c) Wexford People

Is there such a thing? :rolleyes:
    I would recommend a nice Barrett M82A1 rifle with 10x optics, ideal for targeting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

K-TRIC wrote:
    These "boyracers" should have their licences taken off them until their cars conform to the standards the rest of us ahear to, ie; displaying the correct type of reg plate, not having tinted glass unless they have a limo and the noise output of the exhaust should be within legal limits

I am about to get flamed for this one but time to come clean :D . I for one am sporting a heavily modified car with a 'boom boom' exhaust. This upsets me a lot as myself and my mates don't horse our cars about the place we respect our vehicles enough to not wreck them. To be honest it's purely a hobby for me and I enjoy doing it. As for the noise level on exhausts, personally I like a nice sounding exhaust however I will agree far too many people go overboard on the loudness. There are far quieter options available and still make a nice purr.

The problem I have with these stories appearing in the papers will mean these kids will ruin it for the rest of us who don't mess around. The group I know even try to keep their cruises low key as to avoid a buch of nobbish kids handbraking about the place and causing them grief from the Guards. Look to break it down for you, people will always street race cars modded or unmodded, just when it's scummers with cars they are worthy of a bashing in the tabloids.

My car meets standards, plate, my insurance company knows what I have under the hood, thats why I pay €3500 on my insurance (cheaper owning a Merc with kompressor and far far more powerful.). However I have tinting, the lightest you can buy. Personally I have no problem with it as I used to be a window tinter and for the love of jebus I can't see the big deal with standard tints. Yes I agree limo black may be a tad much but light/medium is perfect, tinting is reflective on the outside only.

I don't want to sound like a pratt here lads but in all fairness i'll show you about 100 x 17 year olds in unmodified cars doing exactly what the guards are looking out for. Once again it's only Modded cars make good headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

layke wrote:
    This upsets me a lot as myself and my mates don't horse our cars about the place we respect our vehicles enough to not wreck them.

See this is the problem though, I for one have no issues at all with people enjoying modding their cars and looking after them but I do have an issue with the fu<king maniacs who scream up and down the main street (theoretically a 50kph zone :rolleyes: ), wheel spin, hand-brake turn and generally drive like nutters in the car-park beside our house(usually in the wee hours too).

Sadly the above lot also seem to enjoy modding their car so you get lumped in with them in the public eye.

Advertisement