Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using ur atm card abroad

Options
  • 02-09-2005 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

im goin to dusseldorf on tuasdays
    and im wondering can i use my atm card over there
    i got a BOI atm card
    is it only certain german banks tat will allow me make transactions or wat
    thanks ppl ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Does your card have a "Cirrus" logo on the back -if so then it should be acceptable by MOST banks abroad. If you've used it abroud before there shouldnt be a problem.
    I used mine in Frankfurt and Munic without any issues except for the ridiculous transaction charges which is a totally different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I used mine in most of Europe, but not in Germany, but since Germany has the lowest penetration of credit cards in Europe I would assume their cash withdrawal services must be second to none. As Kippy says, if your card has the Cirrus or Plus logo at the back you should be OK, but bear in mind that some banks may not accept it so you may have to walk a bit sometimes to get your cash out, so make sure you always have some cash with you.

My experience about transaction charges is different from Kippy's, I didn't notice any unusually high costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BBG

Hey there,
    there should be no problem using your BOI card (same as myself) as long as it is Cirrus, indicated by the cirrus stamp on the back. All boi cards are as far as I know. One thing I would say is watch out on how much of a fee you end up paying for everytime you use an atm. I racked up over €100 in fees after spending 3 weeks in Canada last Xmas. The charge is varying depending how much money you take out each time. The more money you take out, the bigger the charge. My advice is if you have a credit card, credit the card with cash and use that in the ATM instead. Its a stanard charge everytime you take money out.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Zynks wrote:
    My experience about transaction charges is different from Kippy's, I didn't notice any unusually high costs.

The charge for withdrawing cash in the Eurozone is/must be the same as at home (its the law). There is *always* a (usually high) charge when withdrawing cash from a credit card, regardless of whether you are in the Eurozone or not.

Once you go outside the Eurozone then you will get stiffed with higher charges for ATM withdrawls.

More info on Oasis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

pretty much any atm card should work anywhere in europe(they all have the cirrus jobbie now i think). my aib card worked fine in france and germany, and i don't think i paid any fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

my atm has worked all over the world, except in tahiti where i had the joy of being stuck there for 3 days without any money because they use Cirrus Francaise

Once it is cirrus, it should work almost anywhere, watch out for the bank charges though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Dr. Spock wrote:
    The charge for withdrawing cash in the Eurozone is/must be the same as at home (its the law).

When withdrawing cash from cash dispensers within the EU there is around a 3 euro charge per withdrawal. AFAIK, this fee is the same regardless of the amount withdrawn.

Dr. Spock, what you are referring to, as far as I can gage from the oasis source you posted, is the transfer of money between bank accounts within the EU.

Oasis wrote:
    Rules
    Under the Regulations:

Banks are required to charge the same price for cross-border transfers and domestic transfers
    Consumers must be advised in advance of charges for national and cross-border financial transactions.
    Consumers may have to use either the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) of the person or the company where the money is going to be sent to and the Bank Identifier Code (BIC) of the beneficiary's institutions to ensure the transaction takes effect.
    These Regulations have been in effect since July 2002 for electronic payments such as withdrawals from cash machines up to 12,500 euro and the use of bank cards (credit and debit cards) for national and cross-border transactions up to 12,500 euro. The Regulations have been in effect since July 2003 for credit transfers between bank accounts for national and cross-border transactions up to 12,500 euro.

From January 2006, the Regulations will apply to withdrawals of 50,000 euro for bank card transactions, credit transfers and ATM withdrawals.

The Regulations will not apply to cheque transactions

I think this is the bit (in bold) that you're after esperanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Dr. Spock wrote:
    I think this is the bit (in bold) that you're after esperanza

Thanks for that, but to be honest I've continued to be charged the same amount for withdrawals abroad before and after 2002. Anyone else in the same boat?

Is it possible that these regulations may not yet have been adopted?

Could be, but I'm not 100% sure.

I was in London earlier in the week and got charged €1.27 flat fee for withdrawing cash from an ATM (cause they're outside the Eurozone), although I did make a point of going to an ATM at a bank (no other charges) as opposed to a machine in a shop where they ride you with charges.

The €1.27 charge is listed on my account with the description "LNKX COMMISSION" so I assume this is the charge from the company that factilitates the whole Link/Cirrus whoo-haw

• Advertisement

Some info from link.co.uk, the crowd that run the Link network (for anyone that has the "Link" symbol on the back of their ATM card - my AIB Banklink and Laser/Maestro both do)
    link.co.uk wrote:
    It should be noted that LINK is not responsible for customer charging - it is up to individual LINK members to decide their charging policy. All charges, whether applied by the cash machine owner or the card issuer, are notified using an on-screen message at the cash machine at the time of the transaction and you are always given the option of canceling the transaction without charge.

LINK rules forbid double charging - your card issuer will not charge you for a cash withdrawal at a cash machine that attracts a convenience fee; and a cash machine owner will not apply a surcharge to a cash withdrawal where your card issuer charges a cash advance fee.

I know that NIB machines do have a message for all card customers (normally its just when the machine recognises a credit card) that there may be a charge, but they don't enforce it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 budcans47

I am heading to bulgaria in a few weeks ,and wanted to know if you can use maestro card in atms to withdraw cash, I know you can use AIB cards with plus on it , I only found out that today and i had changed my last week .If anyone can help i would be grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

kippy wrote:
    Does your card have a "Cirrus" logo on the back -if so then it should be acceptable by MOST banks abroad. If you've used it abroud before there shouldnt be a problem.
    I used mine in Frankfurt and Munic without any issues except for the ridiculous transaction charges which is a totally different matter.

transaction charges? sounds like you're being ripped off by your bank. There are no longer any charges for transactions in the euro zone!

Advertisement