Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diffences in media reports

• 02-09-2005 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Do you see anything wrong in this reporting about the New Orleans disaster?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Yeah, the best one I saw was in the late 80's in the news there was an image of the Romanian army on horses heading towards a group protesters and you could see a person on the ground under the horses. The presenter was saying something like: "here you see the Ceausescu's army oppressing protesters and one of the protesters being walked over by the army's cavalry"

A few minutes later on another channel, the same scene starting a few seconds earlier showing one of the soldiers falling of his horse...

The power of teh media is huge, and it is very easy to fool people into whatever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

i wish I could act shocked by this, but I'm not, it's fairly a-typical of the american news-media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I hope the black dude is made aware of this and manages to sue their asses for defamation of character. Unbelievable 'media' they have over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Its already being discussed on the media forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Uh - they're by two different news companies - AP and AFP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

murphaph wrote:
    I hope the black dude is made aware of this and manages to sue their asses for defamation of character. Unbelievable 'media' they have over there.

Why? The two of them are looters, well so it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jank wrote:
    Why? The two of them are looters, well so it seems
    Indeed, so it 'seems' from a photograph taken from a helicopter hovering overhead. You reckon they asked him his side of the story before calling him a thief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I guess he took the pack of pepsi out of his fridge during the evacuation...As someone pointed out the AP and AFP are not the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

murphaph wrote:
    Indeed, so it 'seems' from a photograph taken from a helicopter hovering overhead. You reckon they asked him his side of the story before calling him a thief?

SO he paid for it in exchange of cash or a service?

Hmmm i dont think so mate.

Besides this is not the issue that they stole the goods or not, of course they did. You and I would do in the same situation.

The issue here is that one article states that a black man looted goods while a white man found goods.

Both are right and wrong at the same time.

Sure a bank robber could find money in a bank couldnt he.
    It was probably just a typo or someone taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

from our fox news center in new york
    coming to you a the speed of lies !
    the No1 news source america distrusts
    Fox news! Fair..................and biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i seen other reports showing white people "taking" items and the voice over saying looting is widespread

as for your picture what i see is a white girl with a sliced pan and a black bloke with a slab of beer, which could you survive longest on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,744 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The beer. Having clean water to drink is much more important than food, people can survive for weeks with no food at all. No organisms harmful to human health will grow in beer, this is why up until the 1800s beer (made from spring or well water, and therefore safe) was commonly drunk by city dwellers instead of the cholera-laden water drawn from the nearest river(aka open sewer).

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭GUBU

Apart from the fact that these photos are from two different news agencies, we don't know the context in which they were taken. Isn't it possible that the photographer of the first photo actually saw this man taking goods from an unattended shop, and that the second photographer saw these people finding goods floating in the water? Don't you think news agencies check their facts before captioning photos like this, in case of libel cases?

If this was one photo that was being reported in two different ways, then there could well be a problem. However, these are two different photos, despite their similar subjects (people in the water holding things). A lot of people are too quick to jump to the conclusion that this is a race issue, desperate to 'prove' that the American media is inherently racist with ridiculous comparisons like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ninja900 wrote:
    The beer. Having clean water to drink is much more important than food, people can survive for weeks with no food at all. No organisms harmful to human health will grow in beer, this is why up until the 1800s beer (made from spring or well water, and therefore safe) was commonly drunk by city dwellers instead of the cholera-laden water drawn from the nearest river(aka open sewer).

:rolleyes: in the absence of water drink a substance that will cause dehydration...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

has already been discussed in this very forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement