Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB - 2MBs Service...Can It Be Hit?

• 02-09-2005 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

Been with IOL BB since the start and was thrilled to see us Hit the 2MB mark..

However...can this speed actually be obtained?

Having done several speed tests the most i have ever hit is 1.54Mb...

Any ideas on how to improve this...or is this it!!

Netz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

netbeatz wrote:
    Hi all,

Netz

You should be able to get about 85% of the quoted speed due to losses.
    I get a constant 1.72Mbit in irishisptest.com and anywhere around that is about the average.

I do get ~1.54Mb on the other networked computer...but its a AMD k6 II @ 500Mhz with 256MBytes of RAM!!!!

On a newish computer your speed appears a little slow, but is well within acceptable quality.
    Take a look at your wires for any physical defects for any problems, if you feel capable of fixing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

This is my 2mb in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

This is my 2mb in work.

Which is quite obviously not an IOLBB DSL connection and is of no use whatsoever to the OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Eh no its not!! Only noticed there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

mine is 1.7mb but ive noticed on downloading its at 2.3 then steadly drops to 1.7, but its way better than 512k
    sparkysspeed5ju.th.jpg

• Advertisement

Sparky_S wrote:
    mine is 1.7mb but ive noticed on downloading its at 2.3 then steadly drops to 1.7, but its way better than 512k
    sparkysspeed5ju.th.jpg

Same Firefox skin that I have!!!

Yeah, 1.7Mb or so is the optimal BT speed for a 2Mb DSL connection.

zuma wrote:
    Same Firefox skin that I have!!!

Best skin ever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

pfft ...horrible, garish skin, qute tbh :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jesus wept, would ye listen to yereselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not always 100% accurate though.

speedio.jpg

still, it's 200kBps, just not 2mBps just depends on if oyu're dividing by ten or eight, just like hard drive manufacturers do to make it seem like you're getting more.

• Advertisement

what service are you on that has 7mb upload.

btw are you on satellite with your 5109ms round trip time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sparky_S wrote:
    what service are you on that has 7mb upload.

btw are you on satellite with your 5109ms round trip time.
    pay attention Sparky. ;)
    vibe666 wrote:
    not always 100% accurate though.

I'm on the BT 2mBps package. my point being is that irishisptest is far from accurate 100% of the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

netbeatz wrote:
    Hi all,

Netz

I just got connected to Smart during the week and am consistently getting the full speeds up and down or as near as makes no difference - have just now got 1.98Mbps down and 122 kbps up. However my router tells me that to get this Smart are providing 2368kbps and 160kbps on the line. Garfield mentioned this in a post some time ago that Smart provide this extra so that the customer will get as near as possible to the advertised rate.

dub45 wrote:
    I just got connected to Smart during the week and am consistently getting the full speeds up and down or as near as makes no difference - have just now got 1.98Mbps down and 122 kbps up. However my router tells me that to get this Smart are providing 2368kbps and 160kbps on the line. Garfield mentioned this in a post some time ago that Smart provide this extra so that the customer will get as near as possible to the advertised rate.

There is a similar setup in the UK as I'm certain that BT send out about 10% more to give a closer value to 1Mb, 2Mb..whatever.

Their 256K upload is actually 288K...so as to some way oversome the loss.

As I stated before this loss causes 85% of what is sent to finally be received by the customer.

Fair play on Smart for doing the right thing with their service unlike eircom!!!

Advertisement