Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Vs. CTYI

• 02-09-2005 4:50pm

I know it's a little (a lot) unfair to compare them, but has anyone else noticed how being treated differently will allow you to flourish, as in CTYI

Examples

Petty Rules
    My school is making me get my hair cut, no 2 ways around it, no hair cut, no school.
    Teacher respect
    In CTYI discussions are guided by the instructor, in school the teacher sets a path, anyone who deviates gets given out to.
    Classroom etiquette
    CTYI classroom's have room for a joke and a laugh, do it once in school and you get marked off a list.

I'm sure there's plenty more, feel free to add..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The two are so different I don't even try and think of them in the same sort of a category (or if one wanted to be psychological, 'schema', :rolleyes: ). It'd just highlight how horribly, horribly not ctyi school is. D=

There's a worrying number of smilies in that post. Being two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

This has most definitely been discussed, oh, about a million times. ;)

Anyway, if it's a public school, then they can't actually make you get your hair cut, freedom of expression and all that (but yeah, it'd still cause hassle), but if it's a private school, they can do whatever they want, really. Unfair, but c'est la vie.

I dunno about the second point, discussions in many of my classes have been known to deviate quite a lot...even by the teacher. Same with the third point, with the exception of a couple of teachers, most let us have a laugh or whatever, they just want us to settle down for the leaving cert. probably lucky to be in a school like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

All three of those are just your specific school, different places have different standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I know I was really surprised when I went back to school at how different it was from CTYI. Kind of a "once you've had the best.." type thing. The first day, there was a debate, and it was won with the point "no, but you're wrong". People are way more...better in CTYI. Imagine a CTYI school! Wouldn't it be magical? :D

Raphael wrote:
    All three of those are just your specific school, different places have different standards.

That being why I said "I'm probably lucky to be in a school like that though."
    I'm well aware of the fact that different schools do have different standards, yes.

• Advertisement

Flashling wrote:
    I know I was really surprised when I went back to school at how different it was from CTYI. Kind of a "once you've had the best.." type thing. The first day, there was a debate, and it was won with the point "no, but you're wrong". People are way more...better in CTYI. Imagine a CTYI school! Wouldn't it be magical? :D

We don't speak of that after last time it was brought up... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

The main problem with my school, as opposed to CTYI, is the people. Only after CTYI did I realise that the reason I'm different from them is not because I'm a freak, as I've been led to believe, but that they're all scangers! Seriously, about 98% of them are! I didn't know that wasn't he absolute norm until I heard CTYIzens talking about people who were what I thought was normal under the label scanger! Bah! I hate Monaghan! :mad:
    Btw if any Monaghonians are reading this I apologise! Your CTYIness absolves you from any Monaghonianism in which you chose to indulge! ;)

P.S. let me apologise profusely if I have offended anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rainbowkeruffle

It would rock if we could go to ctyi instead of school. Ctyiers just let everyone be themselves and appreciate diversity. It would be a lot more sensible if school would scrap all the stupid exams and just let students learn and flourish like in ctyi, but thats not very likely to happen soon. How hoopy would it be if we could go to ctyi ALL YEAR ROUND????? Hmm... at least one of us should make it our ambition to revolutionise the irish education system by making an all year round ctyi. For ctyiers only, of course. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

The main difference for me is the people aswel. They suck. Really they do. They're all either profusely normal, complete bitches, or phonies. That said there are a handful of nice peoples but... *sigh* it's just so much easier and more fun to make friends in CTYI. I don't see why they couldn't/shouldn't make a CTYI school, it'd just be like, school for really really smart peoples. Then again, you'd get loads of people who wouldn't usually come to CTYI, like, the summer courses and stuff, ya know, smart people who arent CTYIers basically, so I doubt there'd be... err... harmony =\ (<--what a poorly structured sentence)

• Advertisement

On the basis of that suggestion I'm declaring rainbowkeruffle officially God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well schools need to get results, CTYI doesnt. Also if your causing trouble in CTYI you can be sent home, its a lot harder to throw you out of a school. In CTYI you feel privileged to attend, therefore your going in with a different mindset than school, as in your being made attend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Oh dear god people, Aoibheann already said it, we do NOT need to bring up the 'ZOMG CTYI SCHOOL!' thing again.

Just search the forum, find the last time it was brought up, read through however many different threads there are on it, then come back if there's something new or revolutionary to say on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

It would rock if we could go to ctyi instead of school. It would be a lot more sensible if school would scrap all the stupid exams and just let students learn and flourish like in ctyi.How hoopy would it be if we could go to ctyi ALL YEAR ROUND????? Hmm... at least one of us should make it our ambition to revolutionise the irish education system by making an all year round ctyi. For ctyiers only, of course. :D

Lets see the minister for education agreeing to that... Scrap the leaving we're too smart for it... Go down a treat! Would be heaven though... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I had a really good, long post written about this but it was deleted when I clciked "submit reply" so I'll just summarise: I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

I had a really good, long post written about this but it was deleted when I clciked "submit reply" so I'll just summarise: I agree.

Dont be so lazy!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sigh, believe me, you don't want to bring up the CYI "school" topic. Seriously, it's been done to death and it just isn't going to happen, face it. Also, were it to, it wouldn't be anything like CTYI, it'd be a school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hmmm, i wonder if it was CTYI all year round would we look forward to going back to school for 3 weeks in the summer.

Oh wait, im going to college, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mocha One Sugar

All i can say is:
    In CTYI I'm treated with respect by my teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rainbowkeruffle

On the basis of that suggestion I'm declaring rainbowkeruffle officially God!

Why thank you. :D

And we know its never going to happen, but wouldn't it be fun to have somewhere where your teachers could recommend you to good colleges or something like that instead of cramming years of education into a weeks worth of exams? i dont mean a ctyi school, i mean ctyi instead of school. i know it is never going to happen ever, but its a fun thing to fantasize about. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I dunno (although I realise I created a post of similar nature this time last year) school doesn't seem all that bad. Maybe I'm just lucky in my school. Today my physics homework was to look at spoons and think about mirrors. and the people, though not near ctyiers, aren't all that bad.

And a CTYI school would never work.... Don't eat me. *cowers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Ok, has anyone else noticed that if you shout inneuendo in school it dosen't go down as well as in CTYI...or surprise sex for that matter!

yeah, neither does the idea of selling customised spoon bracelets =\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

But school authorities are meant to encourage creative enterprise

Not much use if you're trying to speak for 3 other people while trying to figure out what to do for a mini-company. That said, when I mentioned it to the teacher he was like:.....wtf?? *sigh* I hate weirdophobics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 invisibleghost

Well I definately agree, school sucks major ass compared to CTYI socially and academically. (Though at CTYI, since everyone is so fantabulously weird you can't have fun creeping people out like you can at school :( )

And a CTYI school thing would rock :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I know it's a little (a lot) unfair to compare them, but has anyone else noticed how being treated differently will allow you to flourish, as in CTYI

Examples

Petty Rules
    My school is making me get my hair cut, no 2 ways around it, no hair cut, no school.
    Teacher respect
    In CTYI discussions are guided by the instructor, in school the teacher sets a path, anyone who deviates gets given out to.
    Classroom etiquette
    CTYI classroom's have room for a joke and a laugh, do it once in school and you get marked off a list.

I'm sure there's plenty more, feel free to add..

1. The bastards!
    2. 2nd year Geography- Weather to fascism in 0.5 seconds. I do not exaggerate. Best ranting teacher ever.
    3. Absolutely. It's a rare teacher that will allow you to have fun and still get work done, and now I'm in fifth year.
    Today my physics homework was to look at spoons and think about mirrors.

Likewise! Sheer brilliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

School is basically just pressure to do well in exams and teachers trying to force everyone to conform to the exact same appearance, personality( ie, none) and tryig to crush all individualism..........so I dont considder myself to be a lazy, unstudious weirdo.......no, Im fighting against the system!!

CTYI may not be its own school, but when the revolution comes and the Republic of CTY is formed, we shall inherit the world, stupid/weirdophobe/ boring people will be shot out of cannons and we will control the school systems......until then, keep thy heads down and wait for the revolution!!!

CTYI is a truly amazing place and the people there are unlike any others Ive met, in the best possible way, but a lot of that comes from the fact that we're away from school and we can compare them, if CTYI became our school, it would be the definite standard that we'd measure everywhere else by............and they would all suck major ass in comparison!!

Viva la revolution!!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Ack, this is like that section on the back of the final evaluation thingy, where you're basically giving CTYI promotional material - '97% of CTYI students say they're treated with more respect on the summer programme than at school yadda yadda yadda...' (Not that I object. I'd sing CTYI's praises if it wouldn't scare people away.)

But what I mean is they're like chalk and cheese, nothing alike, [strike]one is infinitely superior to the other[/strike], and I don't like to associate the two in my mind in any way.

• Advertisement

Oo! Can I be the dude who fires a pistol into the ceiling of whatever building we complete our glorious revolution by capturing? Please! :o

Advertisement