Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Vs. CTYI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A CTYI school wouldn't work. For for information on this topic go search another thread we had here last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And every year since I was still a young'un.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

This has most definitely been discussed, oh, about a million times. ;)

Anyway, if it's a public school, then they can't actually make you get your hair cut, freedom of expression and all that (but yeah, it'd still cause hassle), but if it's a private school, they can do whatever they want, really. Unfair, but c'est la vie.

I dunno about the second point, discussions in many of my classes have been known to deviate quite a lot...even by the teacher. Same with the third point, with the exception of a couple of teachers, most let us have a laugh or whatever, they just want us to settle down for the leaving cert. probably lucky to be in a school like that though.
    my irish teacher said that i must be a bit to the side, i.e gay, for having long hair and also made my friend(whos atheist and at a public school) say the "our father" because its non-denominational.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

and also made my friend(whos atheist and at a public school) say the "our father" because its non-denominational.

I wudve thrown a f*cking fit. *twitch* seriously, it would have been in the news O.o *violent twitch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

Oo! Can I be the dude who fires a pistol into the ceiling of whatever building we complete our glorious revolution by capturing? Please! :o

Pistol? no. Baby loaded laser cannon, yes!

(Since its a laser cannon, the bebies aren't actually fired from it, they're just loaded into it anyway.......)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Damn kids and your new-fangled high-tech weaponry! But if it kills frogs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KieranusTyranus

My school made me cut the peroxide streak out of my hair. Ive also got in trouble for disagreeing with my Religion teacher for criticising the Church and with another for refusing to say a prayer. I could be easily expelled because I live outside the catchment area. We all have to wear the same jacket as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KieranusTyranus

School is basically just pressure to do well in exams and teachers trying to force everyone to conform to the exact same appearance, personality( ie, none) and tryig to crush all individualism..........so I dont considder myself to be a lazy, unstudious weirdo.......no, Im fighting against the system!!

CTYI may not be its own school, but when the revolution comes and the Republic of CTY is formed, we shall inherit the world, stupid/weirdophobe/ boring people will be shot out of cannons and we will control the school systems......until then, keep thy heads down and wait for the revolution!!!

CTYI is a truly amazing place and the people there are unlike any others Ive met, in the best possible way, but a lot of that comes from the fact that we're away from school and we can compare them, if CTYI became our school, it would be the definite standard that we'd measure everywhere else by............and they would all suck major ass in comparison!!

Viva la revolution!!

The Army of Invernia will help!!! We appeal to sholinia to aid us in this glorious battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hair is now cut, if i had a nice liberal, free-love school this would not be the case, Damn it!

Check my journal for before and after pics, it's pretty shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

If i can point out one thing - the idea of school is to keep a regiment of learning towards attaining a college entry point or a reasonable job after finishing - whereas the point of CTYI is "learning and fun".

the two dont exactly mix.

also, in fairness, teachers are trying to do their job. they're dealing with kids who, for the most part, dont necessarily want to be there, who give cheek, give hassle, dont give respect and expect it back.

I know from working as a TA the only thing that actually got to me and really annoyed me was when i felt i wasnt actually getting any respect, which i was giving to the students anyway. Getting up in front of a class for even a short time is really, really hard (i taught computer programming to the class, before my voice went, and was nervous as hell, and i think if the TP class hadnt been as sound as they were, it would've been hell) - basically its a very different work environment in school - personally in retrospect, i'd have no issue with clamping down as much as some of my teachers did, as you did have to follow a set curriculum and get that work done.

and, with nearly everyone in the world, you give them a hand and they take an arm :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Yeah.... I'm gonna chime in on the side of the authorities here.

I actually had a great time in school (don't shoot me). I'm just done now, and off to college. I really enjoyed my last three years. Don't get me wrong, ther was no fun to be had in the first three, but after transition year I started getting involved with stuff and had a great time. We made films, had tallent shows, ran a fully student directed and funded play, did debate contests and such.

I'm just wondering, was it just me, or did anyone else out there enjoy school?

Oh, for those of you who haven't finnished the Junior Cycle yet, I say this:
    The way the courses are constructed makes them as dull as they are. The room for discussion and debate comes into the Senior Cycle (eg. history, english etc.).

Oh, and may I re-itterate.... don't shoot me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

english and history can be more lively depending onthe teacher...
    it all depends on the teacher really, my maths teacher has made it such a fun class, i actually look forward to maths! even the doubles!

then td and irish. i used to really like these subjects, now they couldnt be more terrible, all because pf the teachers. yes, they have to get a curriculum taught, but my teachers seem like they dont even want to be there. and there's no respect at all, it insane.

and the religion teachers, my god do they put on a class! they treat you like such an equal, and are so great, and wow.. they're fantastic teachers.

its all down to the teachers, is what im getting at..

Yeah.... I'm gonna chime in on the side of the authorities here.

I actually had a great time in school (don't shoot me). I'm just done now, and off to college. I really enjoyed my last three years. Don't get me wrong, ther was no fun to be had in the first three, but after transition year I started getting involved with stuff and had a great time. We made films, had tallent shows, ran a fully student directed and funded play, did debate contests and such.

I'm just wondering, was it just me, or did anyone else out there enjoy school?

Oh, for those of you who haven't finnished the Junior Cycle yet, I say this:
    The way the courses are constructed makes them as dull as they are. The room for discussion and debate comes into the Senior Cycle (eg. history, english etc.).

Oh, and may I re-itterate.... don't shoot me....
    *BANG!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

The main problem with my school, as opposed to CTYI, is the people. Only after CTYI did I realise that the reason I'm different from them is not because I'm a freak, as I've been led to believe, but that they're all scangers! Seriously, about 98% of them are! I didn't know that wasn't he absolute norm until I heard CTYIzens talking about people who were what I thought was normal under the label scanger! Bah! I hate Monaghan! :mad:
    Btw if any Monaghonians are reading this I apologise! Your CTYIness absolves you from any Monaghonianism in which you chose to indulge! ;)

that person deserves a award! (in ctyi standerds, a hug.) so true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

My school made me cut the peroxide streak out of my hair. Ive also got in trouble for disagreeing with my Religion teacher for criticising the Church and with another for refusing to say a prayer. I could be easily expelled because I live outside the catchment area. We all have to wear the same jacket as well.

terrible. as evil crazy warlord of invernia, i say we burn the place down an feed the ashes to fire crazed dogs. last time i tried t do my thing 9puttting all the bibles into the fiction section of the libry)i got in truble. a discrase if u ask me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

It is a disgrace, but that was a pretty good way to express yourself

slasher_65 wrote:
    that person deserves a award! (in ctyi standerds, a hug.) so true!
    Why thank you! :D Unless you're being sarcastic! :mad: In any case the thing with the Bibles earns you an imeasureably big award! (i.e. multiple hugs from the persons of your own choosing!)

Ah yes, disrespecting someones religion, Kudos, Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ChocolateTurtle

As far as school goes, are needs are not being catered for. Technically we're special needs but nowhere has facilities for us. Ok, I know no-one is going to want to go to a nerd class on their own but it would be nice to have the option.

Well it would never be allowed in my school. They constantly tell everyone to strive for excellence academically but still hate to acknowledge excellence in case it makes those who don't get it feel bad. Of course they'll have try outs for sports teams where people don't get in and the same for music, they'll have awards for both of these and it won't be a problem. The only thing they're not willing to reward is academic achievment, which is the reason we go to school in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manda5678

Outcast wrote:
    Well it would never be allowed in my school. They constantly tell everyone to strive for excellence academically but still hate to acknowledge excellence in case it makes those who don't get it feel bad. Of course they'll have try outs for sports teams where people don't get in and the same for music, they'll have awards for both of these and it won't be a problem. The only thing they're not willing to reward is academic achievment, which is the reason we go to school in the first place.

I totally agree with you there Niamh! They used to give certificates if you came top of your class in summer and christmas exams and the like but they stopped!!
    what was with that?

But in fairness they did acknowledge the Junior Cert results.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

As far as school goes, are needs are not being catered for. Technically we're special needs but nowhere has facilities for us. Ok, I know no-one is going to want to go to a nerd class on their own but it would be nice to have the option.

We are not 'special needs'. We do not need our own special little class just because maybe some people are academically better or whatever than others. Why should any of us get a different education to anyone else? What makes us any better than anyone else?

Personally, I would hate such an option. I like my classes as they are now, and I dont think I deserve any more, I'm getting a great education as it is...well, if I put in a bit more effort, then I would be. And that's what you should do rather than complain. Work. Get the results you should be getting if you are all so academically superior and in need of a special class. Prove that you need this class.

And when you prove you need this class, you'll realise you never actually needed it at all. Your results will be the best they can be, and you'll get exactly what you deserve. No more, no less.

And now, can you all stop complaining about how much better CTYI is to school, and what class you think you should have. Put the energy you may have wasted on this into school, and you'll be a lot better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 T.J.

We are not 'special needs'. We do not need our own special little class just because maybe some people are academically better or whatever than others. Why should any of us get a different education to anyone else? What makes us any better than anyone else?

Personally, I would hate such an option. I like my classes as they are now, and I dont think I deserve any more, I'm getting a great education as it is...well, if I put in a bit more effort, then I would be. And that's what you should do rather than complain. Work. Get the results you should be getting if you are all so academically superior and in need of a special class. Prove that you need this class.
    Well actually "special needs" usually refers to someone who learns visually/spacially as opposed to audio/sequencially i.e. most people. "Talented" people learn both ways so technquely we should be taught differently.

As for being better that everyone else we're not but we're no worse why then are people with a talent for sport or music picked for the team or choir but people with our gift are shunned. Some schools don't stream because its "not fair." I thought everyones gifts were equal.....

I'm getting a great education as it is...well, if I put in a bit more effort, then I would be. And that's what you should do rather than complain. Work. Get the results you should be getting if you are all so academically superior and in need of a special class. Prove that you need this class.

And now, can you all stop complaining about how much better CTYI is to school, and what class you think you should have. Put the energy you may have wasted on this into school, and you'll be a lot better off.

Am I right in saying that you're the only person here who has even mentioned not working hard enough? Being 'talented' does help in school sure but it dosen't carry you all the way. Academic superiority isn't something people are born with, and it dosen't make you a better person than anyone else. If you do well academically it's because you work at it. That deserves to be acknowledged, not because a person is better, not because they're superior, just because they've earned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 T.J.

Outcast wrote:
    Am I right in saying that you're the only person here who has even mentioned not working hard enough? Being 'talented' does help in school sure but it dosen't carry you all the way. Academic superiority isn't something people are born with, and it dosen't make you a better person than anyone else. If you do well academically it's because you work at it. That deserves to be acknowledged, not because a person is better, not because they're superior, just because they've earned it.
    Some people are born with a higher than average IQ shown by mensa members as you as 3 or 4 and like I said "talented people are able to learn audio/sequencially as well as visually/spacially thats an ability your born with too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

T.J. wrote:
    Some people are born with a higher than average IQ shown by mensa members as you as 3 or 4 and like I said "talented people are able to learn audio/sequencially as well as visually/spacially thats an ability your born with too
    Yes, and some people who may seem to be as thick as a pole are born with the ability to learn off large passages of text and recite them at will, and thus go on to get 500+ points in their Leaving cert, while all the elitists around them who consider themselves too talented to bother with study proceed to fail miserably

and some people score high in the SAT's without the ability to realise that discriminating against people they believe to be not as intelligent as them is the exact same as the bullying some of them may have recieved for being intelligent....

I know some people are naturally more intelligent than others, that shows in te SAT's and other aptitude tests. But in terms of academics as in the Leaving Cert that can only help so much. No one is born with an innate knowledge of Shakespere and thus have to work to get there grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

And we know its never going to happen, but wouldn't it be fun to have somewhere where your teachers could recommend you to good colleges or something like that instead of cramming years of education into a weeks worth of exams?

That's like... the worst idea in the world. The irish exam system has loads of flaws but one of it's great pros is ananomity as regards college acceptance. It's one of the few ares of life where you're not at a disadvantage because daddy doesn't know the right people. Any system of recommendation is completely open to abuse. Plus the fact that many teachers haven't a notion of their students abilitis.

Anyway, as to the main point. No, schools not as fun as ctyi, but it's grand because it's only a few years and then you wind up college drinking so much you barely remember that you went to school, let alone how crap it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

That's like... the worst idea in the world. The irish exam system has loads of flaws but one of it's great pros is ananomity as regards college acceptance. It's one of the few ares of life where you're not at a disadvantage because daddy doesn't know the right people. Any system of recommendation is completely open to abuse. Plus the fact that many teachers haven't a notion of their students abilitis.

Anyway, as to the main point. No, schools not as fun as ctyi, but it's grand because it's only a few years and then you wind up college drinking so much you barely remember that you went to school, let alone how crap it was.
    Ssshhhh don't tell Aoibheann that!

Advertisement