Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Vs. CTYI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 T.J.

Yes, and some people who may seem to be as thick as a pole are born with the ability to learn off large passages of text and recite them at will, and thus go on to get 500+ points in their Leaving cert, while all the elitists around them who consider themselves too talented to bother with study proceed to fail miserably
    I didn't say that work wasn't important I was just contradicting the statement that there is no such thing as a higher than average IQ and Crash000 who said I bullied anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Well, some people are suited to school type learning, and in a way it's fairer, because even if you aren't that conventionally intelligent, then you can still get good marks for a good job if you work and memorise. It’s like an imperfect meritocracy. What I think the majority of people here mean when they say wouldn’t a CTYI school be nice, is that wouldn’t it be great if you were treated with more respect by your teachers, and encouraged to learn, instead of being frightened into it by being told you’ll fail at life if you don’t study. The great people who go to CTYI help too. They could mean something different though, so sorry if I misrepresented anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think even a simple thing like calling your teacher by their first name would get rid of the wide gap between Teacher and Pupil. I know it's there to encourage respect for the teacher, but really it just distances the teacher from the pupil. A pupil will have more respect for a teacher if hey are able to communicate with them on a more even level.

Then again you will always have pupils making up cruel nicknames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

But the cruel nicknames often come from people who have a problem with enforced authority. If teachers and students operated at an equal level students would see teachers as real people and maybe not be as horrible. It would lead to a lot more respect both ways, teachers who wouldn't abuse authority and students who would actually respect there teachers as opposed to being forced to pretend they respect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Anyway, if it's a public school, then they can't actually make you get your hair cut, freedom of expression and all that (but yeah, it'd still cause hassle)

with the what now. So bringing that up next time me or my mates get told our hair is getting too spikey or bleach has to be cut out and are sent home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Piste wrote:
    I think even a simple thing like calling your teacher by their first name would get rid of the wide gap between Teacher and Pupil. I know it's there to encourage respect for the teacher, but really it just distances the teacher from the pupil. A pupil will have more respect for a teacher if hey are able to communicate with them on a more even level.

Then again you will always have pupils making up cruel nicknames.
    Despite the fact that the tiny Gael Collaiste on our school campus does the whole first name thing I'd never thought of it in the context of my own school! That's one of the best ideas ever! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Piste wrote:

Although teachers simply interacting with the class and bringing something of their own personalities to the class would help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

My English teacher actually said to someone today 'you're having far too much fun. This is English class, it's not meant to be fun'. What kind of atmosphere is that? So much for the joy of learning

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

QUOTE=PISTE I think even a simple thing like calling your teacher by their first name would get rid of the wide gap between Teacher and Pupil. I know it's there to encourage respect for the teacher, but really it just distances the teacher from the pupil. A pupil will have more respect for a teacher if hey are able to communicate with them on a more even level.

sure one of the ra's from this year, helen, teaches in my school. so much easier to talk to and learn from when you've got that sort of relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 truncated spurs

yeah its so true. my maths teacher actually brings his personality into the class and so far in the last year and something of senior cycle there hasnt been a single outburst. it also feels as if there's absolutely no pressure despite the fact that its lc year and all that jazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Garret wrote:
    with the what now. So bringing that up next time me or my mates get told our hair is getting too spikey or bleach has to be cut out and are sent home.
    I always find it interesting when people who are supposedly enlightened and elite define themselves by their hairstyle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Or perhaps they dye or grow their hair as they see fit and like, Barry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Hey come on Barry! There's now need for that sort of unpleasantness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Calling teachers by first names would change nothing.Teachers are an authority over you and to fool yourselves into believing otherwise is stupid.There has to be boundaries and a realisation that teachers are above you.In my school you can get to know most of the teachers very well, especially in 6th year when they seem to have much more respect for us, seeing us more as adults.When I talk to them it's still sir/miss and I couldnt imagine it any other way.These people are not your friends and at the end of the day, if it came to it they would enforce rules and penalties on you.Having said that, it doesn't mean you can't have a good working relationship with them and I get on quite well with the majority of teachers in my school.It's not CTYI!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Of course teachers are an authority, no-one's challenging that. Teachers need to be an authority. Calling them by their first names would just be getting rid off one of the bullsh*t rules in place that are supposed to make you respect your teacher. Respect is something that has to be earned, if students have a teacher who is an authority figure but does not abuse his/her position and interacts with students on a lower level instead of preaching to them from a high horse then they will have earned their students' respect. That said, respect is reciprocal, if they show respect to their pupils instead of making the mistake that alot of teachers new to a school do and start the year with a lecture on discipline than they will have a higher chance of gaining the respect they desire from their pupils.

On a completely random note, quote from Malcolm in the Middle: ''The gifted class has advanced textbooks and teachers, stuff they dont wanna waste on the normal kids''

i agree with liam. although helen is a slight exception. i call her by her first name but i wouldnt in class. and maybe not in front of other teachers. and if i did something wrong and deserved a punishment or penalty of some sort i wouldn't laugh at her. id take it. so id say in school its more of a business relationship. but yeah other teachers. not friends. authority figures. and also i agree with i think its piste about the discipline lecture and whatnot. one teacher did that a couple of years ago and she gets about as much respect off students as a bag of flour. so id say if teachers didnt talk down to us it'd be grand.

rather pointless looking in hindsight and reading over it...meh

Piste wrote:
    . That said, respect is reciprocal, if they show respect to their pupils instead of making the mistake that alot of teachers new to a school do and start the year with a lecture on discipline than they will have a higher chance of gaining the respect they desire from their pupils.''

I don't think it's fair to complain about the lecture about discipline in new teachers because, in all honesty, the first thing a new teacher has to do is to establish their authority and this is their way of doing it. It's especially important that they establish authority when they are dealing with students who are in a familiar enviroment as opposed to new teachers who are in an unfamiliar one. Granted it's not a good way to do so but still they have to try and their aren't many other ways.

theres a much easier way!! instead of saying "im new and im in charge so do as i say or you'll be punished" they could just introduce themselves and say as nicely as possible how they dont like to punish and they're grand with whatever so long as people dont talk when they are. one teacher in my school did that and hes one of the most respected teachers in the place. people talk during his class but not when he is and they always work. get it?

theres a much easier way!! instead of saying "im new and im in charge so do as i say or you'll be punished" they could just introduce themselves and say as nicely as possible how they dont like to punish and they're grand with whatever so long as people dont talk when they are. one teacher in my school did that and hes one of the most respected teachers in the place. people talk during his class but not when he is and they always work. get it?
    That won't necessarily work all the time...

granted it wont. but 8 times outta 10 it will but the teacher has to keep up with the whole im sound just dont be a complete prat thing.

• Advertisement

I'm not actually defending the whole lecture thing. It annoys me too. I'm just trying to cut them some slack.

yes i suppose. but theres always the exceptions. anyway lets move on. school v ctyi....ctyi better. school crappy. maybe..... now i know this has been put forward. a school with the same environment as ctyi. rules being enforced just with a lot more slack. first names. no pressure etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manda5678

yes i suppose. but theres always the exceptions. anyway lets move on. school v ctyi....ctyi better. school crappy. maybe..... now i know this has been put forward. a school with the same environment as ctyi. rules being enforced just with a lot more slack. first names. no pressure etc etc...
    ahhh that would be good! But probably never going to happen...if only

yes theres slim to nil chance of it happening. but what about writing an article n getting it printed in some paper? better than talk. or try n get into the dail and sak them? something similar. i think it'd be great.

Thats a good idea about writing an article about it... hmmm...

yes im completely serious! some form of action. who lives closest to the education minister? hands up! dont be shy!!! something of the sort should be done. and by the way i meant "ask them" not "sak them" just in case anyone gets the wrong idea

I know you're serious! Right who here did journalism?.. we need an article!!

yeah i did wonder about the "sak them" bit...

well now theres no more wondering....fe*k. who DID do journalism....was it a session 1 course this year? hm....

Yup it was.. but luckily i did session1! woo

• Advertisement

in which case i leave the task of rounding up ctyi journalism course people adn getting them to help us on our merry way

Advertisement