Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Vs. CTYI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manda5678

Damn, I shouldn't have volunteered myself! *smacks self on head*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really don't want to come accross as pessimistic but, (read: This is gonna sound pretty pessimistic)The Board of Education/Minister for Education wont listen to a letter written by a teenager/group of teenagers about making such a drastic change to the Education system. Go ahead though, fair fecks for trying and doing something etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I agree wholeheartedly.
    Sorry, but chances of that happening...? Not likely.

I think if some of the discipline in my school was slackened at all (and I've seen this with how different teachers act with the class), there'd be total chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

i agree. theres little chance. lets get colm!!!! maybe....some form of change would be good. and also about the authority being slackened why is it that when given half a chance the populous runs riot? in ctyi its slack yet everyone behaves. in school if it was the same environment there'd be anarchy. in my school anyway. why is that? and yes manda you volunteered so hop to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm guessing it might be because people approach CTYI with a positive attitude to learning, whereas people go to school predisposed to the idea that school is hell and learning is dull.

• Advertisement

yes i suppose that could be it...ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

I now a local school principal who would be in a similar school of thought. Maybe we should ask him and any other such adult working in education to give statements of support in the article and/or add their signatures to any letter to the department.

oh yes. do. could you possibly ask?

I'll see if I can get in touch with him on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

I was in journalism! Fair enough writing to the education minister and asking him to get rid of all school rules might not work but writing to papers/for papers or letting people know how much bs we put up with will eventually have some effect. Maybe not in time for us but our leagcy will live on and all that jazz.

Noel Brown actually wrote quite a good article about the enforced respect system in schools for the Times earlier in the year. He basically said that we shouldn't be training young people to live in a world where respect is granted not earned, that teachers should not have the freedom they have to abuse there authority and that the current teacher-student system is having negative effect.

• Advertisement

I think the education minister is Mary Leahy. She's into reform I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

I think the education minister is Mary Leahy. She's into reform I think.
    Isn't it Mary Hanafin?

Hmmm, the name sounds right... Mary Leahy would have been better for our purposes I think but Hanafin's not bad either.

great! so manda and outcast are our journalists. and mr. D is contacting the man he knows. i wonder would mary hanafin/leahy be up for it...we'll have to see after this possible article comes around.
    Outcast = Noel Brown actually wrote quite a good article about the enforced respect system in schools for the Times earlier in the year.
    em...when? i want to check that out..

Hmmm....round April or March methinks. It was in the opinions and analysis section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dearv

Im in just let me know what I can do 2 help!!!

Just found out Mary Hanafin is Mary Leahy. Leahy was her husbands name but she never used it.

oh people! education minister mary hanafin is going to be in my school on thursday! it's a longshot but i can try ask my principle if i can ask her about it? i already get to shake her hand what with being "talented" and all so i can see?

yes/no ???

Do at all costs! If enough people mention it around the country we'll look bigger than we are. Nothings to say we can't get that big though! :D

What exactly are you asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Outcast wrote:
    What exactly are you asking?
    "Can you please reform the entire education system to suit a small minority, who consider themselves better than everyone else?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

The main problem with my school, as opposed to CTYI, is the people. Only after CTYI did I realise that the reason I'm different from them is not because I'm a freak, as I've been led to believe, but that they're all scangers! Seriously, about 98% of them are! I didn't know that wasn't he absolute norm until I heard CTYIzens talking about people who were what I thought was normal under the label scanger! Bah! I hate Monaghan! :mad:
    Btw if any Monaghonians are reading this I apologise! Your CTYIness absolves you from any Monaghonianism in which you chose to indulge! ;)

Maybe CTYI people have a slightly slanted view on life and in fact the people that they label as "scangers" ie 60% of the population arent actually scangers at all (well... some are).

"Can you please reform the entire education system to suit a small minority, who consider themselves better than everyone else?"

Haha exactly... +1

And to this thread... CTYI isnt real life... Live with it

yes well. not better than everyone! and not reform the whole system. just something like i dont know....we'll see how it goes. my principal okayed me and a couple of others talking to the minister anyway. all we have to do is have our thoughts on paper and show them to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

theyve already got schools like that ... except they cost 20k a year and are outrageously hard to get into.

As I was trying to say,there aren't many of us at the minute because this is a new idea but we are spread out across the country so we probably seem like quite a large group to anyone from the outside looking in. and no-one said anything about this being a CTYI thing or us being any better then anyone else so if you don't mind Barry could you please f*ck off? You read the elitism into it. It's in your head not any of ours. And I do believe that what we're discussing is a new approach to teacher-student etiquette which unless I'm entirely mistaken would effect everyone rather than just CTYIzens.

But talking to the Minister isn't going to achieve anything. The education system has been the same worldwide since the days of the Roman Empire. People are set in their ways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Bwahahahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Outcast wrote:
    But talking to the Minister isn't going to achieve anything. The education system has been the same worldwide since the days of the Roman Empire. People are set in their ways
    Uh, no it isnt, theyre always looking at it and changing it. Pretty sure i heard on the radio around march that they are looking into continuous assesment in ireland

Nothing is set too deeply in stone to be changed. *Shouts "Viva la Revolution!"* ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Perhaps the word "talented" implies that we are a bit better? And as for changing the education system, it wouldn't just be good for us. I know plenty of people who are really good throughout the year, do perfect work etc., but they fall down on the 1 day in the year they really need to perform. Ok, 1 day is an exaggeration, but you know what I mean...
    So continuous assessment would really suit these people. And it is possible, no matter how difficult, to cheat in an exam, and therefore get results you don't deserve. So you see the point I'm making?
    If not, feel free to, as Mr.D.Leprachaun just suggested, f**k off. It's easy to pass judgement on people without considering what they're actually saying.

Advertisement