Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Vs. CTYI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Don't mind Barry, he's just anally retentive.You go get your school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's so easy to cheat in exams it makes me laugh. If it were more of a challenge I might be interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

LordCran wrote:
    Perhaps the word "talented" implies that we are a bit better? .

No, just because you got into CTYI does not make you any better than anyone else. I mean, a friend of mine missed out on it this year by a tiny margin, but does that make her less talented? No. She's smarter, more driven, more focused than most people I know, CTYIers included. So do not tell me that we are any better than those who do not get in. Not everyone even takes the SATs. Take this for an example. If my maths teacher hadnt approached me in the corridor one afternoon early on during 3rd year, I'd have never even known the place existed. And so, if I hadnt taken them, would that make you any better than me?
    Having a special class for so-called 'talented youth' when quite a few people are underachieving their academic potential is just a downright stupid idea. Do the work in school, you'll see that you'll do pretty damn well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

I can't see how the special class would be a good idea but redressing the custom on student-teacher relations would be an excellent idea and I would like to make it clear that that is the main issue here in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Yeah, none of us want special classes for the academic elite. Someone mentioned that in passing ages ago. Keep with the programme!

And we really should clear up that as a rule CTYI people do better academically than non-CTYI people. Just look at the number of A's in the JC thread. It's not an insult, acadmia isn't everything its just one part of life but while we acknwledge who the best footballers and best musicians are so too should we acknowledge those who are academically gifted.

• Advertisement

Oh, if saying 'Perhaps the word "talented" implies that we are a bit better?', as someone did today in fact means that it was ages ago, then I really do have to 'keep with the programme' as you put it.

On another point, to whoever said it, the teacher respect thing...you get it if you earn it. If you dont deserve respect from teachers, then you wont get it. Your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭the_red_cherry

um i don't have time to read all this thread but at the moment i love school it's fun and stuff. you'd be surprised how open minded and cool the "skangers" in your school can be if you give them the chance and i don't really see much of a student teacher bridge tbh.

I think that after three years they've had enough chances. Don't get me wrong though! I actually do get on well with a few of them, but a very small few!

Oh, if saying 'Perhaps the word "talented" implies that we are a bit better?', as someone did today in fact means that it was ages ago, then I really do have to 'keep with the programme' as you put it.

On another point, to whoever said it, the teacher respect thing...you get it if you earn it. If you dont deserve respect from teachers, then you wont get it. Your call.

You're taking everything I say and warping it just to give yourself an oppurtunity to rant and look down on the rest of us from your high horse. I'm just making a point if you can't deal with it don't read it!

And on the teacher respect. I do have respect for my teachers and have earned respect from them. But it does bother me that despite the fact that there is mutual respect the school system still enforces authoritarian rules that will make people resent their teachers. Having to call them Miss or Sir just takes away from the natural level of respect that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

yeah to reply to outcast that whole sir/miss thing is fairly stupid. in my cousins school you call them by their first names.

again in response to outcast.(god i cant use the quote things.) no. they're looking to change the leaving cert especially. to relieve pressure. a continuous assessment all year worth somewhere between 25-50%. then the big tests.

oh! the minister for education came today. my principal said i had as much time sa i needed to ask questions. when she came here though... all i had time to do was introduce myself. then the reporter came and made us have pictures taken and he took mine and lauras names. (laura moynihan btw) then my principal said hurry along. i was quite annoyed at that.
    on teh upside i'll be in the paper. and im quite sure ctyi is getting a mention. seeing as i used that to be able to talk to her. look out tomorrow.

• Advertisement

What paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manda5678

yes which paper? I mean if ctyi is getting a mention a may wish to look at this paper..

i actually dont know. just look through them all for a mention of "minister for education and science mary hanafin unveils st peters college dunboyne extension." or something similar. look for minister for education and st peters college dunboyne.

yeah....and if anyone finds it post it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I think that after three years they've had enough chances.

Trust me, that's probably what most of them are thinking about you, and anyone else they don't get on with. And people can change amazingly in one year of school, so there's no reason to hold anything against a guy cause he called you a **** or whatever in first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

the teacher respect thing...you get it if you earn it. If you dont deserve respect from teachers, then you wont get it. Your call.

Bull****. Teachers don't have to respect students,and, as a result, some refues to just on principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shidoshi

I would like to make this point.....
    I live on a island off the west coast of Ireland, and last year my class size was 18. 16 out of my 18 classmates are going to third level education, most to level 8 courses, the 17th is doinig an apprenticeship to become an electrician, and I, the 18th, am repeating my leaving cert. The class size means that every teacher (all 12 of them.. i think) knows you down to a tee..... This results in a team of people who work together with your best interests at heart.
    Thus I feel that pupil teacher ratios should really be addressed... It has everyones best interests at heart. The teachers have less stress and the pupils get more out of it. The barrier which sometimes exists in class disappears... yes we still call them sir or miss, but I think that that is important anyway, and especially in bigger schools which don't have the advantage of our atmosphere.....

yes i suppose. therefore...hear, hear

Yeah it's a very good point. In our school there are about 1,200 students and 90 or so teachers which means the teachers don't know the students and the students don't know the teachers. Thus most teachers don't know how to deal with there students on an individual level and have to rely much more on blanket discipline and group punishments and the like. It also means that if a student needs a thrives in a certain atmosphere the teacher has no way of knowing.

Bull****. Teachers don't have to respect students,and, as a result, some refues to just on principle.

Fair enough, that may be how it's been for you, from what I've experienced though, you get respect from teachers if you earn it.

Undergod wrote:
    Trust me, that's probably what most of them are thinking about you, and anyone else they don't get on with. And people can change amazingly in one year of school, so there's no reason to hold anything against a guy cause he called you a **** or whatever in first year.
    Yeah, but the guy who called me a **** the other orning without ever having any previous contact with me or a provocation of any sort can't be forgiven as it's just plain wrong to treat a complete stranger, or indeed anyone, like that.

• Advertisement

Outcast wrote:
    You're taking everything I say and warping it just to give yourself an oppurtunity to rant and look down on the rest of us from your high horse. I'm just making a point if you can't deal with it don't read it!

And on the teacher respect. I do have respect for my teachers and have earned respect from them. But it does bother me that despite the fact that there is mutual respect the school system still enforces authoritarian rules that will make people resent their teachers. Having to call them Miss or Sir just takes away from the natural level of respect that exists.

If taking things the way I perceive them means I'm warping what you say, then yes, that's what I'm doing. Alas, that's not how I view it. I'm getting on my high horse and I'm the one that's looking down on people when in fact I was saying that CTYIers arent actually any 'better' than other people, etc? Um, no, I don't think so, sorry. I'm also making a point, it doesnt make the slightest bit of difference to me if you read it or not. This just resulted from what I saw to be a sarky comment from you about a topic I was talking about, but hey, no matter. :)

The 'Miss' or 'Sir' thing? Well, if they were called by their first names, students would undoubtedly come up with even more nicknames for them, and somehow I dont think that's all that respectful. But maybe it does work in some places, I dunno. *shrugs* Doesnt bother me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

It would be a disaster in my class if we called the teachers by their first name. The majority of my class are skangers who couldn't careless about anything except drinking and spent the entire religion class mimicking the teacher out loud. They also put the duster on top of the board so one of the teachers who is short couldn't reach it. Most of my teachers respect the hard-working students and are pretty sound teachers.
    Most people in my class have absolutely no respect for teachers or anyone else for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really couldn't be bother trawling back through the previous posts and quoteing because quite frankly, I'm tired and cranky.

I love the idea of smaller sudent:teacher ratios. My maths class is being split up for people who want to drop down to pass for the JC so we'll all get more attention and it'll all work out better for everyone. With these large classes it's impossible for a teacher to answer a student's question when there are 28 other pupils shouting around him/her. It takes alot of work for one teacher to control 29 students.

yes it does. theres way to many students and not enough teachers in my school. 1000 kiddies and around 30-40 teachers. pah.

oh and aoibheann. stop being a prat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Shiney wrote:
    They also put the duster on top of the board so one of the teachers who is short couldn't reach it.

Now that's entertainment!
    Yeah, but the guy who called me a **** the other orning without ever having any previous contact with me or a provocation of any sort can't be forgiven as it's just plain wrong to treat a complete stranger, or indeed anyone, like that.

So? Who the **** is he? He can call you whatever he likes, you don't have to pay attention to him. He's probably got a small penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Nah, I bet he just can't grow pubic hair.

If taking things the way I perceive them means I'm warping what you say, then yes, that's what I'm doing. Alas, that's not how I view it. I'm getting on my high horse and I'm the one that's looking down on people when in fact I was saying that CTYIers arent actually any 'better' than other people, etc? Um, no, I don't think so, sorry. I'm also making a point, it doesnt make the slightest bit of difference to me if you read it or not. This just resulted from what I saw to be a sarky comment from you about a topic I was talking about, but hey, no matter. :)

The 'Miss' or 'Sir' thing? Well, if they were called by their first names, students would undoubtedly come up with even more nicknames for them, and somehow I dont think that's all that respectful. But maybe it does work in some places, I dunno. *shrugs* Doesnt bother me too much.

Hmmm, I felt kind of obliged to reply coz if I don' it'll look like I let you scare me off but you're not going to listen if I make a point so I'm not going to bother *shrugs*...see, I can be all cool and nonchalant as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Shiney wrote:
    They also put the duster on top of the board so one of the teachers who is short couldn't reach it.

always a classic. that and replacing the whiteboard marker witha permenant one.

Undergod wrote:
    Now that's entertainment!

So? Who the **** is he? He can call you whatever he likes, you don't have to pay attention to him. He's probably got a small penis.
    There are stories relating to him that would imply similar. There are others about the same incident that would imply the opposite as well but we can take a fair guess where they originate. I didn't actually reply or pay attention though. I just slammed him against the wall he was leaning against and walked on.

• Advertisement

so did anybody find that article in the paper? i looked in the indo the herald and the star. anyone else find anything different? or maybe it wasnt in yesterdays paper... im sure its in A paper. seeing as pictures were taken and we were asked a fair few questions about CTYI.

Advertisement