Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More economical turbo cars,

Options
  • 02-09-2005 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the ins and outs of making a turbo car more economical, without driving it out of the turbo....? Mark iv golf gti, remapping the ECU etc, any ideas??

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

I would presume that it could be remapped for better fuel economy, at the expense of performance; you would probably be the first person to do this though. Strange car to buy if you're concerned about fuel economy :confused: You could probably get similar performance and better economy from those legendary TDI's :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

No it was more looking at the option of having a variable boost, so that when I dont need it I can turn it down and not use as much petrol?

Up to €1.30 a litre or so tonight!! :eek:

gabgab wrote:
    No it was more looking at the option of having a variable boost, so that when I dont need it I can turn it down and not use as much petrol?

1.30??? Last time I checked (3 days ago) it was 1.07 local to where I live (better nip down for a refill before its too late).
    Don't know the exact figures for the gti but I would guess that the turbo doesn't kick in until around 4000 rpm. Should be reasonably economical if you stay below that figure - worth doing a test if you can resist the urge for the duration of, say, a full tank.

Anyway, I'll pass this over to folks who know about all this stuff; I'm just a bluffer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

gabgab wrote:

:eek:

Where'd you hear that?

On the news, cos of the louisiana thing... Dunno how true it is but worth a fill up in case,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

gabgab wrote:
    On the news, cos of the louisiana thing... Dunno how true it is but worth a fill up in case,

Cheers, I'll tell my dad, think the MR2's running low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Depends where you are doesn't it.

http://www.irishfuelprices.com/unleaded.php

Apparently refined oil (petrol) is in short supply (in the US) because theres 6 or 8 refinaries out of action in the US. So the US is offering lots of extra money to attract refined fuel from european refinaries to the US. Which is pushing up european prices.

Dunno man but doubt it cos its America throwing up the price so everywhere affected,

Off the subject I know but anyone any experience of code alarms, you have to enter a pin to start the car aswell as unlocking etc?? Gonna get one just wondering!!

gabgab wrote:
    Dunno man but doubt it cos its America throwing up the price so everywhere affected,...

Your probably right. Its not like they use much oil and petrol is it? All those V6 and V8's are very economical... :D

gabgab - get some one to tune it to use less gas. I don't knwo who does it but there must be someone place near you that remaps and retunes cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Well i'd say in the next few days it will be up to €1.30 all over the country and I did hear on the news tonight that it will be going up tonight in some places anyway so you might aswell fill up and sure when you are at it get a few barrels and maybe you should get the oil tank filled if you have one :D and I am serious(well maybe not about the barrels but then again €1.30... :eek: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gabgab...have a look here for tuning places... http://cars.vage.ie/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=47&t=2458&st=15

Generally remapping should improve mpg because mfr's always run them to meet emissions/noise laws. This is not always the most efficient way to get all the energy out of the petrol. Remapping cures this.

And yes - you can have switchable maps. Look up Revo tuning (from Westward on the above link)....

bmoferrall.....the turbo runs at all engine speeds, and works at all rpms. It does not cause extra fuel usage...actually the opposite. That's why they fitted it in the first place......what it does give is more power. Now if you insist on using the extra power.......well that's all down to your right foot, actually............to prove, you could disconnect the boost pipe and watch the MPG go down AND the power with it............time to buy a Micra then...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Hey Galway thats great thanks a million, do you know anyone that has done this?

galwaytt wrote:
    bmoferrall.....the turbo runs at all engine speeds, and works at all rpms. It does not cause extra fuel usage...actually the opposite. That's why they fitted it in the first place......what it does give is more power. Now if you insist on using the extra power.......well that's all down to your right foot, actually............to prove, you could disconnect the boost pipe and watch the MPG go down AND the power with it............time to buy a Micra then...
    OK, thanks galwaytt. I admit I've no experience of this stuff.
    I guess I was assuming that turbo lag (if there is any in a gti) would mean fuel consumption would be equivalent to a n/a 1.8/2.0 engine until the turbo gets up to speed.
    galwaytt wrote:
    It does not cause extra fuel usage...actually the opposite.
    My basic understanding of turbos is that they force more air into the cylinder, thus allowing more fuel to be added for each stroke.

Advertisement