Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf a Sport??

• 02-09-2005 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭

Guy's...is golf worthy to be called an actual sport...Like do they really exert themselves in any way at all to have the right to call themselves sports men and women. I see it as no more than a leisure activity for the OLD......Sort of like something a retired person takes up to pass the time...a bit like chess or billiards or snooker....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

try play it sometime, and when you stuggle, you'll realise the skill involved and you might even have a bit more respect for the old and retired and the sports people who excell in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

People who don't 'appreciate' golf all seem to put it down. My family all play tennis and I put their sport down, but when I mention the word golf, they call it an old man's game or a boring game. :mad:

There is nothing more exciting than hitting a 280 yard drive with a five yard draw, or a 80 yard shot that spins back a few feet. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Try playing 18 holes on a wet sunday morning in january on the side off a hill then answer the question yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

walshb wrote:
    Guy's...is golf worthy to be called an actual sport...Like do they really exert themselves in any way at all to have the right to call themselves sports men and women. I see it as no more than a leisure activity for the OLD......Sort of like something a retired person takes up to pass the time...a bit like chess or billiards or snooker....

Your a tosser!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

golf is a beautiful sport
    what i love it about is you have bads days and great days like i scored 43 points on 18 holes last monday next day couldnt hit my irons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Bubba wrote:
    Your a tosser!

and you, sir, should attack the post not the poster....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Agreed, Bubba this is a warning, any more personal abuse like that and I'll ban you.

Please attempt to contribute to the thread and as RuggieBear said attack the post, not the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

There is an enormous amount of skill involved in golf.

To the OP, have you ever played it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Golf is the hardest game to play, fact. Anyone can go hit a tennis racket, anyone can go kick a football, anyone can play Gaelic. But not everyone can play 18 holes and achieve a good score. Most people cant even hit the golf ball properly. It is fact that golf is the toughest sport out there.

Golf is obviously a sport exactly why it is being looked up for taking part in the Olympics. The mental and tactical element of deciding clubs,what shot, where to hit it,how to hit it,wind,land and everything else makes it a very challenging and tough sport.

Just cause you dont crash into people and be the fittest guy o nthe planet doesnt mean it is not a sport. Golfers have probably the best mental capactity and patience in the sporting world.

And the guy decided to post this thread so why cant we attack him like, he started it with his stupid comments =D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

its a sport all right, its just hard to spot the difference between the best in the world at the sport and a hacker, because theyre different shapes and sizes. theyre different because the athletic move of the swing happens in 'place', that is your feet dont move from where they started unlike every other 'sport'.

the great players have great hand-body-eye coordination, great balance, and are very supple. these things cant be seen in a person by looking at them. you look at other great sportsmen and you could have a fair guess at what sport they excel in, weither theyre a jockey or a weightlifter.

john daly looks like a sumo wrestler but is more supple than most kids

if exerting yourself makes something a sport then writing this is a sport but golf would only be a sport when its hot outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

i hate the way people stereotype golf as being a sport for old people,its as much a sport for young people too... have you ever even been to a golf course or even tried to play golf walshb??? i would presume not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Someone once said that golf is a game, and not a sport, because in a sport you don't all get together at the end to work out who won!

weve got a comedian in the house..

Atleast you dont play for 5 days and have a draw........Damn cricket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Atleast you dont play for 5 days and have a draw........Damn cricket

leave cricket outta this!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Now now guys, let's keep the debate civil. To all of yee who disagree. I actually played golf and still do from time to time and do agree that it is a very skillful game. It is also very very frustrating and after about 12 holes, I've had enough. Anyone trying to say that watching a bunch of OAP's chasing a golf ball around a field for 4-5 hrs is exciting really has a sad life. Because the fact of the matter is that the Seniors tour in the States is making tons of cash for these old men and the morons are paying to watch it. My god, has-beens of golf are raking in 2-3 million dollars a year from the sport....Old bloody men. Then you've got the likes of the true sports stars like the DJ Carey's and Sheffelin's who are getting paid zilch for an absolute amazing display on the hurling field. Where is the actual excitement in the game.....I'd rather watch paint dry and to call it a sport is very very insulting. It's a game or pastime for the OLD.......SIMPLE

OH and they don't even carry their own clubs...because that would probably mean exerting themselves too much.......

The fact is they are scoring well and playing good golf. It is the equivalant of Teddy Sheringham scoring 20+ goals last season at 39. These guys are doing that at 50+.

These old golfers show some great old skool and modern skills and have alot of older fans.

I guess it is all opinion but you could say the same bout Tennis, watching a ball pop from one side to the other for over 2 hours. And I've played tennis at a very high level and know how good a sport it is. You need to play the sport at a good level to appreciate it. If your out duffing the ball all the time your not going to like it. Same with every other sport, if you cant play it you ownt like it.

No one plays anything to just continue to be bad at it. But golf is a lifetime sport, that can be played for over decades.And you learn things everytime you play and can get better all the time.

I've an advantage because im 17, been playing 7 years and am off 11. You hit your golf peek at roughly 30, so I'm hoping to be below 3 at that stage, if not im doing something wrong.

walshb wrote:
    Now now guys, let's keep the debate civil. To all of yee who disagree. I actually played golf and still do from time to time and do agree that it is a very skillful game. It is also very very frustrating and after about 12 holes, I've had enough. Anyone trying to say that watching a bunch of OAP's chasing a golf ball around a field for 4-5 hrs is exciting really has a sad life. Because the fact of the matter is that the Seniors tour in the States is making tons of cash for these old men and the morons are paying to watch it. My god, has-beens of golf are raking in 2-3 million dollars a year from the sport....Old bloody men. Then you've got the likes of the true sports stars like the DJ Carey's and Sheffelin's who are getting paid zilch for an absolute amazing display on the hurling field. Where is the actual excitement in the game.....I'd rather watch paint dry and to call it a sport is very very insulting. It's a game or pastime for the OLD.......SIMPLE

You seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about old people playing golf. So what if they earn a good bit of money playing golf; it's better than them sitting around doing nothing. Golfers like Des Smyth (who is Irish BTW) are excellent and they deserve every bit of praise they get. What sport do you play? I bet you aren't half as good at your sport as the golfers who play on the champions tour.

You are one of those people who sterotype golfers and I think you have offended many people on this forum. While you are entitled to your opinion, I think that you should get your point straight first before you attack senior golfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

I play several sports that have quite a "macho" image, and yet I have no problem referring to golf as a sport (even tho I'm only at the rather pathetic pitch & putt stage!).

Body mechanics & strength can play a large part, the reason Tiger Woods can drive so far is cos he puts the effort in at the weights room to develop his forearms.

I do disagree with whoever said something like "golf is the toughest sport out there", I understand that its tempting to go on the over-the-top defense when a troll like the original OP just swans on to the board. Golf is very tough but don't start kidding yourself that's it's on a par (ooo nice pun!) with something like boxing in terms of pushing the human body & mind to the limits. (for the record, Im not a boxer).

You are only 17, and you are out wasting the precious young years of your life playing an old mans game....surely you could try your hand at something a little more youthful and entertaining......Just a suggestion, or are you one of the 'old young', so to speak

You are one of those people who sterotype golfers and I think you have offended many people on this forum. While you are entitled to your opinion, I think that you should get your point straight first before you attack senior golfers.[/QUOTE]

Offended people, relax mate. You are being far too sensitive, like you said...it's my opinion and for the record I love sport in general but do feel there is a lot of sports as they are called that don't deserve to be called sports really....like Darts (pub game), archery (leisure activity) and of course golf ( a game for the retired). My idea of spots would be the originals like track and field, boxing, swimming, soccer, basketball, tennis, cycling etc etc etc....

sorry, keep it coming guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

walshb wrote:
    My god, has-beens of golf are raking in 2-3 million dollars a year from the sport

I think you answered your original question here, mate. I guess you have nothing better in your life to be doing but trying to wind up people on forums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Golf is a fantastic sport,ever since i started it has been my favourite(not by a small margin).
    i did basketball,rugby,soccer,gaelic,hurling,tennis,swimming,shot putt,karate,sports karate and golf from a young age and have gotten all ireland medals in the better half of them but i find golf to be by far the most enjoyable,frustrating and appealing.
    Plus beating the crap out of people that had been playing the game 10 years longer than you is quite a feeling :)
    That and the fact that a lot of them were your teachers hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

just back to a point u said bout carey and shefflin haha wat final are they in this year??? come on the rebels golf is a fantastic sport which requires utmost skill and patience.... ur a fool if you think its not a sport fitness is comin into the game more and more top professional are in the gym for a few hours everyday.....

walshb wrote:
    You are only 17, and you are out wasting the precious young years of your life playing an old mans game....surely you could try your hand at something a little more youthful and entertaining......Just a suggestion, or are you one of the 'old young', so to speak

oh my god!! STOP calling it an old persons sport, its so annoying.. fair enough youre entitled to youre own opinion but i think you are starting to annoy and insult people!! and if '[DM]-THE DOC' likes to play golf then hes not wasting any of his youth, who knows he could be a pro by the time hes 30 and making millions :)

and also,(just for your information)sport is defined in the Collins English Dictionary as; 1)a source of diversion or recreation; a pastime. 2) a physical activity engaged in for recreation.
    Now zip it walshb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

We all know your just out to sh*t stir, so I don't think anyone should take the comments to seriously. But here's my two cents

I do agree with Tar Aldarion - I was lucky enough to play Gaelic football and Athletics to a reasonable high level. I was very lucky in Athletics in that I not only have a few Leinster medals - individual and All-Ireland relays, but I raced (competitivley - be it county at some distances and All-Ireland at others) from 400m to 10,000m. I have a fair grasp of the sport and went through a lot of pain to improve, be it 15 milers on a Sunday or 10x400m on a Thursday.

I have found golf a much tougher sport to improve at than Athletics. If I increased my mileage by 5-10% every week and maintained the same intensity I would improve at athletics. Then introduce anearobic sessions, speed drills etc. The options for improvement were limitless - all you needed was desire.

I have tried to improve my golf game - play a few rounds, go to the driving range, work on my putting, get lessons etc. After all that I could still go out and hit 111 on a course I had previously hit 98. And was expecting to break 90 on - with all the effort....

When I did athletics, there were a lot of "old men" jogging around at 12 min miles. No one laughed at them or said they discredited the sport - they had their own goals and personal bests to reach. Its the same in golf, the 70 year old hacker may look bad, but he's still pushing to break the magic 120 or 130 etc.

One of the reasons I believe golf ranks as one of the better sports is its inclusive nature (not in the social sense - we are all aware of the snob culture in some areas of golf). But the handicap systems allows golfers of vastly differing abilities to not just play against each other - but to actually compete against each other.

Sport is not just about physical fitness and big muscles its about competing and the pursuit of excellence - whatever level is your excellence. Be it a 4 hour marathon or a 3 hour marathon or a 4 min mile. Or trying to play to your handicap of 27 or trying to reduce your handicap to single figures or striving to play off scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Here are the facts about golf in Ireland

It can be traced back to 1603 as a sport called 'goff' played by the military figures at the now defunct 'Royal Curragh Golf Club'.

It is a recognised sport under the Irish Sports Council.

The International Olympic Committee recognise the sport and endorse the Eisenhower Trophy, the world cup of golf for amateur golfers.

There are over 260,000 registered male participants in Ireland (source www.gui.ie) and over 50,000 registered ladies playing (source www.ilgu.ie)

The Golfing Union of Ireland (GUI) is the most established governing body in golf (R&A aside) and the Irish Ladies Golf Union (ILGU) is the longest established ladies governing body in the world.

There are currently 4 Irishmen in the Worlds top 50 and the reigning British Amateur Champion is Irish.

The Ryder Cup, the Walker Cup, Solheim Cup, Presients Cup and Seve Trophy are all major competitions which bring thousands if not millions of people together to watch. Sport is competitive, all of these are.

Just look at our own National games, Senior Cup, Junior Cup, Jimmy Bruen Shield, Pierce Purcell Shield, Barton Shields, Junior Foursomes, Mixed Foursomes plus all the National Championships!

Of course golf is a sport, if it's not then the Irish Sports Council are giving money away for nothing!

walshb wrote:
    You are one of those people who sterotype golfers and I think you have offended many people on this forum. While you are entitled to your opinion, I think that you should get your point straight first before you attack senior golfers.

Offended people, relax mate. You are being far too sensitive, like you said...it's my opinion and for the record I love sport in general but do feel there is a lot of sports as they are called that don't deserve to be called sports really....like Darts (pub game), archery (leisure activity) and of course golf ( a game for the retired). My idea of spots would be the originals like track and field, boxing, swimming, soccer, basketball, tennis, cycling etc etc etc....[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen Tiger Woods in action. He is hardly retired. I challenge you to take up golf and break 80- I don't think that you will find it easy.

Golf is mentally the toughest game out there. It's possible to shoot under par in the first 9 holes and then in the back 9, score a couple of double bogeys and end up coming in a very low spot in the competition. You have to be on full focus all the time.

BTW What do you classify a sport?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

swingking wrote:

Have you ever seen Tiger Woods in action. He is hardly retired. I challenge you to take up golf and break 80- I don't think that you will find it easy.
    76 on my first round ever...twas simple :D

then again i didnt beat that score for a year or two after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Golf is great :) , been playing since i was 17 and am working my way up the scoreboard. To call it an old mans sport is very lame, and show that u have never actually played the game. To question it being a sport is even more idiotic :rolleyes: , do your have a new version of the dictionary that i have not seen yet :p .
    I can bet the OP and all that have agreed with him have probably never played this wonderful game :rolleyes: , how can u comment on it?

For your information i'm not wasting my youth on something wasteful.

I am playing golf because I really enjoy it, I love my golf club and the atmosphere, i like the friends i have made there. And msot of all I'm trying to make a career. Wether it be the unlikly one of turning pro, but the more logical one of becoming an assistant pro. At a 5 handicapp I can apply for this career. So when I wake in the morning I can smile and be happy because my job that pays big money is also a sport I love to play.

And for your info I have also played many sports at a high level. I played Gaelic in the top division for Sylvesters and won the league twice.I was then convinced to join soccer and as a keeper was tipped as the next ireland keeper but an injury and a lack of interest of playing the position crushed the dream. I know play up front for the strongest team in the Fingal Area in one of the top leagues.

I played Tennis. Leinster champion and all ireland runner up. Was again tipped to becoming the first irish professional on the ATP tour, but the same injury that damaged my other sports hit me in Tennis also. I had to quit.

I took up oglf at 10 because i always loved going with my dad and it was a sport where i wasnt criticsed about my fitness, and something I could play with my leg injury. And I have achieved much in the sport.
    I'm currently my club Captain. I first started with a 36 handicapp and am now off 11 consitently shooting under 9+. I have won every major honour in my club at junior level. I have competed in dozens of GUI leinster events and 4 All ireland events. I have competed in top tournaments around the country off a handicapp not considered appropriate for the tournaments but did so and performed well.

So I'm not wasting my time I'm enjoying my sports, and winning them and progressing well.

And what sport do you play Walsh and I've probably conquered that at junior level unless your into horse jumping or water polo =/

i don't think anybody agreed,somebody told a joke though!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote:
    My idea of sports would be the originals like track and field,
    do you mean like the javelin?
    which original olympic version do you prefer, the one which demonstrated strength via distance or the one which demonstrated accuracy via a target?
    very competitive stuff, also, the pursuit of gold was very benificial for their warmongering times? alas those times are gone now and training the mind seems more benifical today than training the body.

claiming golf is not a sport is like claiming tai chi is not a martial art, too many old men moving around slowly. theyd kick your ass tho, slowly. kinda like how youre gettin your ass kicked here. i wonder what sport the people here are practicing that benifits their mind in these friendlier times.

My idea of spots would be the originals like track and field, boxing, swimming, soccer, basketball, tennis, cycling etc etc etc....

The originals :rolleyes: , you dont have a clue what you are on about.
    First Basketball game - Nov 1 1946
    First Golf game - Mentioned earlier by slumped, 1906

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

For your information i'm not wasting my youth on something wasteful.

I am playing golf because I really enjoy it, I love my golf club and the atmosphere, i like the friends i have made there. And msot of all I'm trying to make a career. Wether it be the unlikly one of turning pro, but the more logical one of becoming an assistant pro. At a 5 handicapp I can apply for this career. So when I wake in the morning I can smile and be happy because my job that pays big money is also a sport I love to play.

And for your info I have also played many sports at a high level. I played Gaelic in the top division for Sylvesters and won the league twice.I was then convinced to join soccer and as a keeper was tipped as the next ireland keeper but an injury and a lack of interest of playing the position crushed the dream. I know play up front for the strongest team in the Fingal Area in one of the top leagues.

I played Tennis. Leinster champion and all ireland runner up. Was again tipped to becoming the first irish professional on the ATP tour, but the same injury that damaged my other sports hit me in Tennis also. I had to quit.

I took up oglf at 10 because i always loved going with my dad and it was a sport where i wasnt criticsed about my fitness, and something I could play with my leg injury. And I have achieved much in the sport.
    I'm currently my club Captain. I first started with a 36 handicapp and am now off 11 consitently shooting under 9+. I have won every major honour in my club at junior level. I have competed in dozens of GUI leinster events and 4 All ireland events. I have competed in top tournaments around the country off a handicapp not considered appropriate for the tournaments but did so and performed well.

So I'm not wasting my time I'm enjoying my sports, and winning them and progressing well.

And what sport do you play Walsh and I've probably conquered that at junior level unless your into horse jumping or water polo =/
    you say you can apply for a carrer off 5??????????????????????
    and your the club captain and your only 17?????????????????

Now, what dya say to all that Walsh??? good work team!!

Now, what dya say to all that Walsh??? good work team!!

Just like the original poster did, he should run away with his fury tail between his legs :D .

• Advertisement

Halo wrote:
    you say you can apply for a carrer off 5??????????????????????
    and your the club captain and your only 17?????????????????

I know I found that quite odd as well. In spite of that, we must take the members at face vaue and if they are club captain then we should believe them.

i dont think he said the club captain, as in boss o' the bosses.
    i think he ment a captain in his club, could mean a team captain.
    5 thing is true alright
    handicap <= 5
    written test
    36 hole test, shoot less than 14+, i think.
    then you can call yourself a pro golfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

were can you do that????? im off 5.
    wouldn't mind given it ago!!

i dont realy know much about, its called a PAT, player ability test, i know there are different grades of pro, class c to a (or is it 1 to 4 ?) it used to be all about melting lead and wraping leather grips so i dont know how they split up the grades now. the doc will know more im sure.

sorry sorry should clear that up.

My club have a very good juvenille setup. I'm Junior Club Captain. But I do the same stuff as an adult captain only at junior level,m ettings,days out stuff like that.

When you get to 5 or so you can apply for an assistant pro job. Basically you HAVE to apply at another club. A pro there, willtake you on and you will work in the pro shop. You will be taught how to work with clubs like shafting gripping etc.

You then go to college on a course strictly for golf.

You then play a "playability" test where you play 2 rounds and have to shoot a certain under par or under some score.

I dont mean career as in like pga tour pro career, but it is a carrer job like. You will eventually become pro after a while like my friends have. You can then play in tournaments that give you 200€ cash in hand appearance money =D

But to go for a tour card you need a sponsor willing to pay lots of money for you for travelling etc.

But yes it is a career and if you like golf and are anyway decent its a realistic career opporutinty. I myself am starting in National college of ireland this month in my first year of Software Systems but if I do make it to 5 or lower im going for the Ass pro job and going to keep college up too, so ive something to fall back on.

Unfortunately I've got some bad news:

3 or 4 years ago, I was playing off 11 just like you and it is very hard to cut shots off your handicap at this stage. I play of 7 at the moment and I have been at the same level for a few months now.

It is easier for a 20 handicap to get down to a 13 wheras it is very hard for an 11 handicap to get down to a handicap of 5, depending on your ability, it could take you almost 4 years

My best advice is to keep it up and go for your dream, but don't expect it to happen overnight. Oh! and work on your short game; up and downs are the key to good scores.

Guy/gals, why this silly notion that I'm doing this for a wind up. Do you really believe that I'm the only person to think that Golf, skillfull and popular as it is is more of a leisure activity than a sport. Thousands would agree. It just happens that most, if not all the posters on this thread are golf fans. You see I myself enjoy greatly a game of Golf and I agree with a lot of your points about its skill level. But let's be totally honest it's for old men at heart. It was devised for old men by old men and is the ideal game for the retired...that's the simple truth of it. It contains pretty much zero excitement. I'm not much of a fan of other sports such as soccer or cricket, but even they have more excitement than golf. I can't reply to all the posters, but to keep it brief...what other so called sport generates millions of dollars for old men as golf does. Sport for the most part is for the young. The Ali's and Borgs and Mark Spitz and Carl Lewis' and Pele's of the sports world are retired for a reason. Because they're too old...but Golf being the leisure activity it is, still allows OAP's to make huge sums of money for utter crap. If that's your idea of sport and entertainment, god help us......

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

walshb wrote:
    .It contains pretty much zero excitement.

So you've never seen the ryder cup then ??

walshb wrote:
    . But let's be totally honest it's for old men at heart. It was devised for old men by old men and is the ideal game for the retired...that's the simple truth of it. It contains pretty much zero excitement. QUOTE]

:mad: why do you play if its for old men then??

Just because I see it more a game for old men doesn't mean I can't play it. I do play it and I do like playing it. As for watching it, it's dire.....Ryder cup???, same game, same players, same boring stuff....It is seen as a retirement game

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement