Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf a Sport??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

walshb wrote:
    Guy/gals, why this silly notion that I'm doing this for a wind up.

because your arguments are just repetitive and pointless... and you don't seem to have a clue what your talking about. These are the traits of a troll.
    walshb wrote:
    Do you really believe that I'm the only person to think that Golf, skillfull and popular as it is is more of a leisure activity than a sport. Thousands would agree. It just happens that most, if not all the posters on this thread are golf fans.

no you are not.. but you are probably the only one stupid enough to come onto a forum specifically for GOLFERS... and slate the game with your silly arguments, and then expect a good reaction?????? a troll
    walshb wrote:
    You see I myself enjoy greatly a game of Golf and I agree with a lot of your points about its skill level. But let's be totally honest it's for old men at heart. It was devised for old men by old men and is the ideal game for the retired...that's the simple truth of it. It contains pretty much zero excitement. I'm not much of a fan of other sports such as soccer or cricket, but even they have more excitement than golf.

I really doubt that you understand in the least what is needed to be good at golf. Agility balance etc.... all come into play as well as the mental work involved. I do know people like you, people who play the odd game.. are pretty crap at it - but think they are good for playing so irregularly - and I know a few who have changed there minds recently when I challenged them to actually try and improve at golf.

walshb wrote:
    I can't reply to all the posters, but to keep it brief...what other so called sport generates millions of dollars for old men as golf does. Sport for the most part is for the young. The Ali's and Borgs and Mark Spitz and Carl Lewis' and Pele's of the sports world are retired for a reason. Because they're too old...but Golf being the leisure activity it is, still allows OAP's to make huge sums of money for utter crap. If that's your idea of sport and entertainment, god help us......

okay... as already said.. this old man sport thing is really annoying. How many of these old men that are making millions now, were not playing golf when they were younger??? these men are still making money because everybody still respects their skill, and their attempt to keep pushing that skill into old age...

but lets take your argument.. which is that golf is a leisurely activity thats for the old. By this, I would take it that you think that these OAPs that are making all this money, are as good at the game as they always are.. or that they could compete with the younger generation of golfers???

well they could not.. that is why it is the seniors tour. I can't believe I have to explain this. None of your arguments hold up...

in soccer there is the masters tournaments.. with all the old guys playing indoor soccer etc.. still making money, but they are not competing at the same level.. it is the same in golf... only the professional carreer spans a longer timeline in golf.

at the end of the day, I think I am wasting my time with this cause I do think your are just out to annoy people, and in my personal opinion you should be banned, but thats up to the mods.

But if I am wrong, and you are just a misguided fool, then you would be much better off posting in some general forum.

walshb wrote:
    It is seen as a retirement game

lol... by who buddy... what are you really talking about...... are you trying to say the general public agree with your views... or are you just saying they are your views...

please someone just close this thread....it serves no purpose except bug everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

@walshb
    your just a bit mixed up to be honest, your mixing up the fact that watching it bores you, playing is fun, and that the pros dont grunt and sweat during their swing with the notion that its not a sport but a game.

where as a sport is actually any game that is both competitive and uses the body. so all sports are games even golf but not all games are sports like monopoly for example.

as for the old thing, golfers can have a long carear not always but seen as grunting isnt that important some pros do. a golfers carear can also disapear overnight with no injury to blame they can suddenly become crap, at any age.

but generaly the older guys can't compete with the younger guys.

so the older guys have their own tour, courses are normally shorter. there's a law of diminishing return on how many under par you can shoot on a easier course so tiger woods wouldnt win every week if he was allowed on seniors tour. but the older guys wouldnt win at all* on the younger tour.

(*everyone else can ignore this statement just keeping it simple for him)

as for the money on the senior tour, its there because the veiwers who grew up watching the seniors are wealthy now, some are retired, yes, but some are also ceo's of multinationals, im talkin real power here. dermot desmonds are a dollar a dime in the states, these guys make real desisions, they even made a champions tour for past winners at an inbetween age. you named bjorg so its like that recent tour where bjorg and conners played all the other guys from that era, only much more popular. yet even henman would beat them all.

the truth is tiger woods who dominates a fickle sport is a finely tuned young athlete whos strength and stamina matches any boxer or basketball player. benchpressing 20 stone before he reached 20 aint bad, and thats before he started to look big. put it this way hes not that young anymore but you wouldnt want to get a slap off this particular old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ryder cup same old men? Oldest player in the ryader cup was 40 odd?

And I got cut to 10 today after shooting 6+ 41 points =D go me=)

It is known fact though that most golfers hit their prime in their 30's, but thats not saying its an old mans sport. Its a lifetime game you play all through your life, if footballers could play till they were 70 they would, and youd be giving the same arguement.

So STFU you dope you dont come into the golf forum saying golf isnt a sport, go to the frisbie forum and start it or something, prat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As Winston Churchill put it "Golf, the best way to spoil a good walk"....so so so true...as for the agility and balance needed...I'd say more a Zimmer frame, and Colostomy bag for those OLD men

Oh and Doc, just for the record...it isn't a Sport mate.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Walshb

You have yet to mention the sports that you play. I bet you don't even play a sport you sad git. Let me guess, you were the one who got picked last for the football team or you were the one who dropped the ball and everyone blamed.

My advice is for you to go back to whatever the f**k you were up to before disturbing people on this forum. You have some balls coming on to a golf forum that contains golfers.

I challenge you to tell me the sports you play and then we can tell you how crap they are so STFU

Then you my friend are mentally challenged. Go back playing your croquet or whatever brutal sport you come from.

Perhaps a spelling competition or 2 times tables is more suited to your mental level?

And Winston Churchill was a wanker and one of the biggest priks that walked this earth and no one gives a **** about his ****ed up views.

His verbal assault on calling Ireland cowards because they would not enter the world war? Erm stfu and go suck your dirty Hitler the seconds cock.

• Advertisement

O dirty secret number one for the DOC.

I HATE WINSTON CHURCHILL WITH A PASSION EVERYONE BRITISH CALLS HIM THE VICTORS OF WORLD WAR 2 BUT IF THE AMERICANS HADNT COME IN HE WOULD BE SPEAKING GERMAN LICKING ADOLFS BALLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Walsh, i think you no you are wrong but are to big headed to bloody admit it, its hard but try. None of your points made any sense and you have come off looking like a 15 old school boy with little or no commen sense.
    I think you should do like the OP did, and just leave this forum, you are wrong and always will be :).

Where does a 17 yr old learn language of that nature.......we are so touchy aren't we???....At least try argue the point constructively my friend without the foul tongue....you'll be respected a lot more if you do....Sure you're still only a kid. You have a lot to learn. As for my sport, it was amateur boxing at the highest level (international). Now there's a competitive tough sport. Golf is very skilled and extremely popular, but still a leisure activity. If 70 yr olds can compete at a decent level, that say's it all. That is taking nothing away from the elderly, sure we all grow old don't we. I might even take it up full time then myself

walshb wrote:
    Where does a 17 yr old learn language of that nature.......we are so touchy aren't we???....At least try argue the point constructively my friend without the foul tongue....you'll be respected a lot more if you do....Sure you're still only a kid. You have a lot to learn. As for my sport, it was amateur boxing at the highest level (international). Now there's a competitive tough sport. Golf is very skilled and extremely popular, but still a leisure activity. If 70 yr olds can compete at a decent level, that say's it all. That is taking nothing away from the elderly, sure we all grow old don't we. I might even take it up full time then myself

Do you ever realise what you are posting? Your patronising view towards The Doc is an example of your lack of argument.

IMO boxing is a game played by savages who want to beat the crap out of one another, however I do not put you down for playing the sport. You are entitled to enjoy it.

If you don't think golf is a real sport, then that's your opinion. But to put down The Doc because he enjoys golf is not right. At least he wont suffer brain damage from being punched in the head many times

I think

I am truly at a loss as to why this thread is still open, and why walshb has not been banned. I have seen people get banned for far less. And his continuation of this is getting ridiculous. THIS IS NOT A DEBATE. He is just repeating himself constantly in order to annoy everyone on the forum. Since his original post, he has not added a single thing to his argument, and continues to bug the crap out of people. This is more of a troll post than most I see, which all get closed down within a few replies.

so please, please, please.... close this thread, before I resort to dropping to the OP's level.

do you need to contact a mod to get them to look at a thread? anyone know who the mods are here?

First of all, if anyone should be banned it should be the Doc for his foul tongue. Secondly why close the thread. Just because I think Golf is not worthy to be called a sport and everyone is crying an whinging. How damn petty are you lot. If we all agreed now, it would be a very sad boring site, would it not. I'll grant your wishes from here on in and I won't post again....hope that makes you all a little more happy.....so it's over and out to all you Golf loving Pussies.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

sorry jimbling, i thought it was funny, i liked the way walshb suddenly became an international boxer........12 rounds in a ring, he said himself he couldnt even go 1 round of golf.
    if anyone else needs closure on whether golf is a game played by old men you can click on this and make your own mind up.

Hahahaha, a boxer at the highest level :D. I doubt they would allow teens to box at the highest level :rolleyes: . If you are infact out of your teens, grow up, you come across as a child looking to piss people off over the interent because u are bullied at school.

okden wrote:
    sorry jimbling, i thought it was funny, i liked the way walshb suddenly became an international boxer........12 rounds in a ring, he said himself he couldnt even go 1 round of golf.
    if anyone else needs closure on whether golf is a game played by old men you can click on this and make your own mind up.

lmao.... nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

And Winston Churchill was a wanker and one of the biggest priks that walked this earth and no one gives a **** about his ****ed up views.

His verbal assault on calling Ireland cowards because they would not enter the world war? Erm stfu and go suck your dirty Hitler the seconds ####.

And i second that as im sure everyone else does!!!
    Walsh is REALLY geting on my nerves...... :mad: :mad: :mad:

And i second that as im sure everyone else does!!!
    Walsh is REALLY geting on my nerves......

I think that was basically the reason he posted here :rolleyes: , kids get a kick outta annoying people on the internet, very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

okden wrote:
    sorry jimbling, i thought it was funny, i liked the way walshb suddenly became an international boxer........12 rounds in a ring, he said himself he couldnt even go 1 round of golf..

Quality!! :D:D

Guys, I've finally proved my point. If you were so sure it was a sport, would I really have got this enraged reaction. It has obviously hit a nerve. I suppose what I really need are people who actually were involved in sport or still are to give a little support. Most real athletes out there would agree and you know the funny thing is that when real sports stars and athletes retire from their sports, what 'sport' do they take up???, yes you have it....Golf....the retirement game. As for the fool who seems to think that amateur boxing is over 12rds, some sports fan you are....stick to your Golf...

I think that we are going to have to agree to disagree. In some cases golf is a sport that people play after retirement- it doesn't require the competitor to run around. Having said that, young people play the sport at a high level and win tournaments in it.

If golf is played by old people, then that doesn't neccesserily mean that the sport is solely directed towards old people and that is the point that you are missing out on Walshb.

Tennis is another sport that is played by old people but I don't hear you say that tennis is for old people solely. Do you agree that tennis is a real sport?
    Cause I think it is

Swingking, finally I get someone who can disagree in a respectable mature fashion. Fair play to you....I don't want to come across as a golf hater, because I am definitely not and I realise the skill and difficulty level of it. I've played 18 hole long golf for several yrs. I'm a well balanced guy, good sports backround and have a good swing action. Yet I rarely go below 100 shots. I have broke 100 on several occasions, say 96, 98 etc etc. So I know how difficult a game it is to become very good. My point was simple, as regards a sport...I don't see it or rate it as such......as a leisure activity, it's great, as a retirement option, it's great. By the way, I see a lot of other so called 'sports' the exact same. Is Bowls a sport, is darts a sport, is archery a sport, is clay pigeon shooting a sport, is curling a sport.......not in my opinion.
    As for watching senior citizens compete and earn millions, to me that is not entertainment and definitely not sport, it's a JOKE.........And to say they are sportsmen is ludicrous...

I do think that tennis is a real sport, but I wouldn't cross the road to watch the Macs or the Lavers play now. Old men struggling around the court and people are lapping it up.....it's downright sad. As for the tennis scene at the moment, you cannot say them guys are NOT athletes. Pete Sampras, Agassi, Becker, Federer etc are all magnificent athletes and the game is so very competitive now and has been for the past 10-15 yrs.......

okden wrote:

Buddy, I'd certainly pay to watch that. It's funny, but watching those women play golf is so much more appealing, a bit like Kournikova in Tennis. I wouldn't be too intersetd in Federer or Roddick, but Anna...yes oh yes. I think most would agree to watching some of the golf babes as opposed to the wrinkly Jack Nicklaus or Des Smyths or O'Connor Seniors......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

DM-TheDoc and walshb banned from golf for personal abuse and not keeping the thread on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement