Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you improve Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

DaveMcG wrote:
    It would, but because of the rate at which the city is expanding, you'd be cutting the trees down not long after planting them.

Not if we build upways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Well you could have a belt of trees and then some more buildings...

It's not impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah true, but if everyone's trying to get into the city there'll have to be a load of roads running through the trees, and that might (a) cause more congestion, and (b) defeat the purpose of the trees, because there'll be a load of concrete and tarmac and cars and noise and pollution and the likes running right through them. I'd love a forest, I like trees, but I don't know if it's practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

We've just got to be organised about it and build sufficient roads using as little space as possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Add a boat or 2 to the Dublin City Council cleansing dept fleet and keep the rivers and canals litter free. They have tremendous amenity value and are spoiled in certain areas by unsightly litter build-up (especially around the canal locks and the Liffey boardwalk).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Funkstard wrote:
    Hold creamfields in Ballymun and convince Al-Qaeda to hijack a plane full of package holiday tourists going to Majorca and fly the thing straight into the middle of it all. Kill about 7 birds with the one stone.

There's nothing more I'd like to see than some sort of ethnic cleansing for scum. People above a certain income bracket should have the right to a shoot to kill policy

so all poor people should be shot?

****in idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

i agree with funkstard about getting rid of the skangers,but the poor thing is a bit far,for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think sucking up the river Liffey and replacing it with the river Seine(which would *coincidentally* go missing during the night) would be a good move on the government's part. I'm sure we could find a good use for the Liffey's water, or if not, we can just put it where the Seine was -- see if they notice the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Poor dosen't = Skanger

You can find scum bags who get absolutely **** faced, get in fights, deal and/or take drugs, have several iligitamate children and are a nuesance to society, living in Dublin 4. They just happen to dress nice and have a respecfull job (where they do nothing more than show up) in Daddys business. They just don't stand out so much!

But Dublin is full of scum. Not much we can do about it though tbh....maybe better education? :confused:

Nothing pisses me off more though when areas are regenerated, places that badly need it are cleaned up....then some scum bag spray paints it, or breaks it up...:mad: Grrrrr......makes me mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

DubGuy wrote:
    But Dublin is full of scum. Not much we can do about it though tbh....maybe better education? :confused:

..Or castration. Deal with the problem at source.

O'Connell St. will be nice when it's finished, but if only something could be done about the shopfronts. I mean what have we got.. Burger Kings, McDonalds, Supermacs, O'Carrolls, Carlton facade, centras, spars... nothing that looks 'nice'. Then you have the litter problem and the druggies walking around with their milk and ice cream.

Surprisingly, the top of Parnell St. is looking well these days with all the chinese and korean restaurants and food markets opening up. It's like a regular little chinatown.

K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

grimloch wrote:
    Maybe get a bit of an underground system going. I'm not entirely sure but I hear we have a pretty extensive tunnel system under the sity for some reason.
    We don't. There's a underground line under Phoenix park that was used for transporting mail in the 19th Century and hasn't been used for about 100 years. It's 4 foot high AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Zaph0d wrote:
    Build a weir at the mouth of the liffey so it's at high-tide level all the time.

Was just thinking that this morning, well not a weir.. just thought it would be cool as the liffey looks pertty good when its high tide :D

However it would not work very well since dublin is a port! Maybe they could do something like have a weir with a large canal lock type area for boats/ships etc.
    Only problem is it leaves us open to flooding. Messing with rivers etc causes floods when it rains. Happens everywhere.. probably one of the problems with New Orleans!!!!

Anyway i personally think a Monorail (Q simpsons episode music) would be a good idea. The one in Vegas is class and does not cross interfere with traffic on the roads.

I want to see the Docklands being developed into a manhattan like area. This is on the agenda i think though. Move the port out of Dublin.
    More bins and more importantly have them emptied regularly. to cut down on litter.

Boardwalk is cool, do it along the whole stretch of liffey on both sides. Then maybe the footpath could be opened to widen the roads enough for the bus lanes to be constant on both sides as opposed to having to merge with traffic in some areas.

Liffey cruises, supposed to be running now but i have not seen it. Maybe a liffey taxi would be a good idea. it would be a quick way to get from Huoston to the city centre.

Chinatown.. come on they are cool.

Im sure i will think of more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

We don't. There's a underground line under Phoenix park that was used for transporting mail in the 19th Century and hasn't been used for about 100 years. It's 4 foot high AFAIK.

I think you may be slightly mis-informed about the ehight of the phoenix park tunnel and its usage!!! :)

It is full height (there are some safety concerns of course because of the age of it) and has full signal upgrading done to it recently so it can handle a train every 5 minutes.

An interesting article on how this can be integrated into the dublin D-Connect, with a small effort and a new station in phibsboro can be found on www.platform11.org . This is a serious proposal and would do away with the stupid waste of money idea for a new tunnel between Connolly and Heuston when there is already one there which can be up and running with litle or no effort or money (more importantly)

Also transport wise, we should have free tourist bus through or around the city, Perth and Melbourne in Oz have this and it is great for people in the city moving around doing shopping etc..

more pedestrian lights wouldnt go astray and heres an idea for the Gardai -- yellow boxes are there for a reason, not a parking space for busses or 40 foot trucks who think they can block them (like pedestrian crossings) because there is 10 foot space in front!!

Footpaths, if your going to have them you might as well make them properly, look at abbey street where they done the paths up when Luas went in, they are still not finished, half concrete and half flagstone...

Buses -- these should not all have to terminate in the city center. Here is an idea, have orbital routes (many more than is there now), and they should have a terminus in the city, there is a site (owned by CIE) between Strand Street and Abbey Street (beside luas stop), which could easily become a terminus for most routes, easy access to and from O'Connell street and Quays and Jervis street on northward. This could interconect with the Luas then and take loads of busses off Talbot/O'Connell streets and the quays...

End of rant for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

gibo_ie wrote:
    This is a serious proposal and would do away with the stupid waste of money idea for a new tunnel between Connolly and Heuston when there is already one there which can be up and running with litle or no effort or money (more importantly)

The current proposal is NOT for a tunnel from Connolly to Heuston. It is from docklands to Heuston. It will serve the city centre at St Stephens Green and High St. It will connect with the Luas at the green and deliver people to the new and fast developing docklands area. And, as explained by Barry Kenny in the Irish times this morning, the existing tunnel will just deliver more traffic to the railways number 1 bottleneck.

To quote the letter:

"To answer Kenneth Wilson's question (September 3rd) question regarding the role of the Phoenix Park Tunnel, currently it is not used for regular services as it would simply deliver additional trains into the Connolly Station bottleneck; for every Kildare train that travelled through the tunnel, a Maynooth, Drogheda or Dart service would have to be cancelled. It can play a role if a Docklands station is developed, but once again, it would not generate sufficient capacity to meet the forecast population growth."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

steam clean the city, they did a great job on the statues on o connell st until a few tits saw fit to scrawl their names on the side. seriously steam clean the city twice a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think the Boardwalk is there to eventually be used the length of the quays as a footpath, while they remove the current footpath to make space for Bus lanes (whilst also hopefully having little or no trucks in traffic), thus making the city traffic flow. Good idea in theroy, i'll reserve judgment untill i see it though.

I have no doubt there will be a china town in the not to distant future, but where would it be located? I'm sure an un-official one will have to develop first. Probebly in Rathmines or somewhere.

An under ground system is desperatly needed by the city. I would love to see one up and running. But to develop a metro system is so complex, expensive, and disruptive that i just can't see it happening. Not with this Governments track record for planning anyway.

But i suppose if their are already lines in place, it would be stupid not to re-devlop them and use them. Is there just the one tunnell already underground in the city? and where does it go, Phoenix park to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seriously expand/develop public tranport.

DART to Maynooth (and maybe a bit further) and Balbriggan.

Either a Luas or Metro to connect with the Belfast line at roughly Balbriggan via the airport which should be quadruple track to free up the existing DART line from Intercity and outer suburban trains.

And most importantly, ban the wearing of sports gear (ie football jerseys and tracksuits) unless you are taking part or on your way to taking part in a sporting event/gym session, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

gibo_ie wrote:
    An interesting article on how this can be integrated into the dublin D-Connect, with a small effort and a new station in phibsboro can be found on www.platform11.org .
    I've heard Derek Wheeler of Platform 11 interviewed on the Radio before and everything he says makes sence.

...however their website sucks. There I was, all exited about finding out about the existing disused rail tunnel under the city centre, and I get the 'watch this space - site under construction' BS so common with Irish pressure groups. That's like putting out a P.A. statement with a one line annoucement then saying more to follow. I mean, how difficult would it have been for them to string together a few pages of HTML and .... *tray on head*

...there, better, rant over.

In the meantime, I suggest that a Dublin-wide ban be put on all nicknames ending in 'O' (Matto, Lukeo, Johno, Anto, etc) and the names 'King' and 'Prince' be fobidden when naming a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Also, they should outlaw parents (or anyone else for that matter) screaming at kids in public. Does my head in.

Advertisement