Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: Regarding Walt... (**SPOILERS**)

• 02-09-2005 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

... OK.. this is strictly for people who have seen the entire series:

It was revealed during the Summer that a cast member was leaving 'Lost' but quickly dismissed from Damon Lindelof / JJ Abrams.

(** MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR RTE / C4 VIEWERS AHEAD **)

This very interesting article popped up online today:
    "WALT, the friendly kid with potentially mysterious powers, is missing from this new cast photo of "Lost."
    When ABC recently posted the latest press photo to promote the show's second season, Walt (Malcolm David Kelley) was conspicuously absent.

At the end of last season, Walt was kidnapped by a group of strangers, who on the show are called the "Others." The evil bunch took the kid and tried to kill his father by blowing up the raft he and his fellow castaways built to escape the increasingly strange island and its mysterious inhabitants.

All year it appeared as if Walt, who is supposed to be about 10 years old, had some sort of supernatural powers himself.

In the first episode, he was seen reading a comic book featuring a polar bear, and shortly after the castaways killed a polar bear - in a tropical jungle. At the end of the season, Walt seemed to have premonitions about various events, warning his friends and father not to do certain things.

All along, "Lost" fans have wondered how producers would handle the impending growth spurt all child-actors go through. Walt's abduction may be the answer.

"I like the theory that the Others will do something to him to make him grow fast," wrote a fan going by the name nonnyd on the unofficial "Lost" Web site, thefuselage.com. The site is sponsored by show creator J.J. Abrams and frequently features messages from the actors to fans.

"[Maybe] something like human growth hormone but with some modifications. Malcolm David Kelley does too good a job in the role to be ignored for long," nonnyd wrote.

Meanwhile, rumors abound that Walt may not even appear on season 2. Several fans have tried to contract Kelley and producers about the matter, but have not gotten a reply.

A show official declined to comment about Walt's fate yesterday, citing her responsibility to keep the show's mysteries a secret and not spoil it for fans.

"Lost" follows the adventures of a group of people stranded on an enigmatic island after their jet airliner crashes there on the way from Australia to the United States.

The show became one of the biggest hits last season and has spawned a slew of supernatural copy-cat series that will debut on various networks this fall.

- By Don Kaplan, New York Post Online"
    So.. my question is do you think Walt will feature at any point next season? Seems quite possible they're keeping his departure secret to, of course, keep the kidnapping storyline under wraps. But seems quite possible that he won'y return and if not.. how exactly will they explain that?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

I think it would be hard for Walt to appear in the season with a legitimate explanation for his growth (if any) other than if he returned after a long period of time.. but I think his "special powers" make him too important just to be cast aside because of his growth.. so really, I can't see him returning in the earlier part of season two at least.. but I feel he will return in the not too distant future....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I don't think we'll get seeing him until the end of the season, I reckon that'll be one of the cliffhangers at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

we probably wont see him until mid to late season 2,,but I think it would be really stupid to re cast him or to get rid of him. The others took him for a reason,he is obviously a very important character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

season 3

kdjac

is it really necessary for more spoilers? the whole thread has been spoilers so far.. and surely there is nothing for UK or IRL viewers to see.. it's clearly marked as a spoiler thread and I would think that no UK or IRL viewer would venture in too far after see all of post 1 being a spoiler.. nevertheless, just in case:
    the men who took Walt are referred to as the others... has anyone though about whether these others are connected with those on the island? such as Ethan... they both seem to have a thing about children: Walt and Claire (most likely because of her child).. At first I thought that the others who took Walt might just be Pirates.. but then I quickly thought this might be a bit coincidental and random. What are the odds they'd find a hostile pirate boat that close to the island and that they would demand the child?.. Are the others some kind of supernatural element connected to but not necessarily confined to the island?.. or are they not connected in any way? meh... thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I have to agree with Sauron. His powers are too important to be dismissed

Sweet wrote:
    I have to agree with Sauron. His powers are too important to be dismissed
    lol

qz wrote:
    lol

well, :rolleyes: I am pretty powerful...

and now it will serve as an out of context appraisal of me... cheers Sweet

VVVVV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Sauron wrote:
    is it really necessary for more spoilers? the whole thread has been spoilers so far.. and surely there is nothing for UK or IRL viewers to see.. it's clearly marked as a spoiler thread and I would think that no UK or IRL viewer would venture in too far after see all of post 1 being a spoiler.. nevertheless, just in case:
    I'd like to see spoilers used for unbroadcast elements of the show... Fair enough the topic does say Spoilers and US in it but some people might not want to hear what's going to happen...

But I'll leave it up to yourself to use your own common sense about what should and should not be spoilered (why do I know I'll regret that about ten minutes after posting it...)

Btw, I don't think that article really answered anything, the producers are probably just keeping tight lipped about everything, it just happens that Walt's kidnapping is the last question that was posed and therefore the freshest in everyone's minds so it's the one that everyone is focussing on...

I'm sure you'd get the same stonewalling if you asked about the impending Locke/Jack, Faith/Science feud

steveland? wrote:
    Btw, I don't think that article really answered anything, the producers are probably just keeping tight lipped about everything, it just happens that Walt's kidnapping is the last question that was posed and therefore the freshest in everyone's minds so it's the one that everyone is focussing on...

Would you not think the aul' hatch demolition would be the most pressnig matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I should have clarified this a bit more earlier:
    A a lot of people seem to mention the fact that he's very important and should not be dismissed in future storylines.

But i don't mean he was sacked from the show... what could he have done?! Strippers and beer!? :D But i do think it's quite possible for his parents / guardian to take him outta the limelight. This is a kid who will probably go through high-school / university with the label of the "special kid" or something ever so clever!

So basically, if the actor who plays Walt has left.. it's more than likely his parents / guardians decision and not the producers / execs responsible for the show.

So if this did happen.. which it could quite possibly have happened.. how could they possible resolve that storyline?

steveland? wrote:
    I'd like to see spoilers used for unbroadcast elements of the show... Fair enough the topic does say Spoilers and US in it but some people might not want to hear what's going to happen...

noted.. I will continue to use spoilers in such situations... my point simply was that someone not wanting to know what is going to happen would not venture (too far, anyway) into a thread heavily laden with spoilers.. I was implying that after a certain amount of posts e.g one page's worth, spoilers would no-longer be necessary.. just in case you thought I was arguing against the use of spoilers in general.. which I wasn't... I think they're great..
    qz wrote:
    Would you not think the aul' hatch demolition would be the most pressnig matter?
    I don't know.. the thing about the walt story is that it is very desperate.. I, myself don't see any immediate, or at least easy way out for Michael and co. Their raft is burning and Walt could have been taken anywhere. They're situation was more of a distressing human drama.. so I think that it has kind of an equal suspense value.. for some people anyway..

I myself am wondering what the hell is in that Hatch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

qz wrote:
    Yeh but we all knew the hatch was going to get opened (the producers basically told us that) and they've also told us that the series gets going straight into them exploring the hatch (can't be bothered finding the thread, it was one of basquille's many informative posts with a quote from the producers that they would be going straight down the hatch)

Walt's kidnapping is the most pressing thing that we don't know if it's going to be explained or not and it wasn't revealed till it happened

From Kristin and E Online:
    Many of you are asking you for my take on the NY Post's story today (the one basquille posted above) on our beloved Walt. All I can tell you is that I know we DO see him again in the new season! Know it for a fact.

But I also know that Malcolm is currently in LA, so do with that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tvnutz wrote:
    From Kristin and E Online:
    Many of you are asking you for my take on the NY Post's story today (the one basquille posted above) on our beloved Walt. All I can tell you is that I know we DO see him again in the new season! Know it for a fact.

But I also know that Malcolm is currently in LA, so do with that what you will.
    Nice find there, tvnutz!

Would be a shame to dismiss the poor kid.. though he annoyed me early in the season. Thought he was mainly a whiney fecker! Some of his acting as of late especially his scenes with Locke and in the finale
    giving Vincent to Shannon
    has been pretty damn good!

Ye as child actors go,he is quite good,and the kid will always be whiny in movies and tv shows! :p but as you said he got less annoying as time went on.

Advertisement