Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping number with smart by porting to blueface?

• 02-09-2005 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to keep your existing number when switching to SMART by porting it to blueface? If it were possible it might be a good idea to pay the €5 extra a month for smarts faster upload speed package as mentioned by Garfield to ensure good call quality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

You can only port your number if you don't access broadband by use of a phoneline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I figured it wouldn't be that easy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UberNewb wrote:
    You can only port your number if you don't access broadband by use of a phoneline.

Ah but reconnecting to eircom is free so eircom have to give you a new number which you can lose if you want.

Can one not port from Blueface to Smart then after connection :) ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

The way I see it being done, you port your number to blueface and request a new number for your land line and use that in the switchover to smart.

Although I can't see eircom making it this easy.

but eircom, poor greedy fools, are running free reconnections all the time these days :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Let's say I have an Eircom line and I port the number to Blueface. What is the state of my Eircom line now? Does it get another number automatically or is it in some kind of limbo until I do a (free?) reconnection.

you would reconnect after the port, get a new eircom number and then order smart.

you may then be able to port the old eircom number from blueface to smart , not that you need to TBH

you will lose the new eircom number when smart goes live .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you would reconnect after the port, get a new eircom number and then order smart.

you may then be able to port the old eircom number from blueface to smart , not that you need to TBH

you will lose the new eircom number when smart goes live .
    Just so people know before thinking about going through with this you won't be able to port from Blue Face to Smart or in fact from any non-Eircom operator to any other non-Eircom operator. The reason why is that the process for non-Eircom ports has not been defined by ComReg yet and therefore Eircom, who are still the ones who physically do the port, will reject it.

Aaron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

aaronc wrote:
    Just so people know before thinking about going through with this you won't be able to port from Blue Face to Smart or in fact from any non-Eircom operator to any other non-Eircom operator. The reason why is that the process for non-Eircom ports has not been defined by ComReg yet and therefore Eircom, who are still the ones who physically do the port, will reject it.

Aaron
    So am I correct in assuming that if I want to post my eircom number to blueface, I can't? That means I'll have to get a new VoIP number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

From the blueface website:

Frequently Asked Questions

Number Porting

Can I port an existing number?
    Yes we can port any existing Irish number to our service. We recommend signing up for a free trial before undertaking a port to ensure you are happy with the quality of your internet connection.

How long does it take to port a number?
    Ports "usually" take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks, it can be longer.

How much does it cost to port a number?
    Currently porting is free but this may change in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

aaf wrote:
    So am I correct in assuming that if I want to post my eircom number to blueface, I can't? That means I'll have to get a new VoIP number?
    You can port from Eircom to Blue Face, from Eircom to Smart, from Eircom to BT etc. and also the reverse, i.e. Blue Face to Eircom etc. These ports are all ok because the processes are defined for ports to and from Eircom.

The ones you can't do are Smart to Blue Face, BT to Smart etc. At least this is the case with Wholesale Line Rental I've got no idea what happens if the number has been unbundled, it would probably come down to individual inter-operator agreements.

ComReg were working on defining the process for porting between non-Eircom operators last month and I'm not aware if it's complete or if it it's not the time frame involved.

Aaron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Is there any down time when porting numbers? I'm recommending that a doctor switch his surgery from eircom to blueface but obviously he wants to keep his existing phone number and there can't be any downtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

aaronc wrote:
    You can port from Eircom to Blue Face, from Eircom to Smart, from Eircom to BT etc. and also the reverse, i.e. Blue Face to Eircom etc. These ports are all ok because the processes are defined for ports to and from Eircom.

The ones you can't do are Smart to Blue Face, BT to Smart etc. At least this is the case with Wholesale Line Rental I've got no idea what happens if the number has been unbundled, it would probably come down to individual inter-operator agreements.

ComReg were working on defining the process for porting between non-Eircom operators last month and I'm not aware if it's complete or if it it's not the time frame involved.

Aaron

Spot on Aaron - Any operator can port numbers from one to another provided they draw up a porting agreement, however the only one that has an obligation to provide it is eircom...

On unbundling...the number does not get unbundled, the line does, the number is ported using the very same vehicle as a standard port, hence the delay when (for example) Smart Customer are sometimes without service between the line unbundle and the Number porting - it's 2 different processes.

Comreg process still ongoing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

There is one more problem if you port your numner to blueface, this will cause your eircom line and all associated services on it to be cut off (including ADSL). You can then pay Eircom a reconection fee and port the new number you get to smart.

While this is possible you will end up with a significant length of down time of both your phone service and broadband............

Another idea I had was get a second phone line from eircom and put smart on this. When it is up and running ask smart to port the number from my original line to the new one. And when it is all finished abandon the oringinal line into the house.

aaf wrote:
    Is there any down time when porting numbers? I'm recommending that a doctor switch his surgery from eircom to blueface but obviously he wants to keep his existing phone number and there can't be any downtime.
    He will need put a UPS on his ADSL modem router and VoIP box etc, however even then I think he would be better keeping his Eircom line and using blueface for outgoing calls or to get aditional numbers if needed (say to seprate personal calls from business ones).

The sipura 3000 ATA, it has automatic fail over to the normal PSTN line in the event of a powercut or loss of internet connection.

Willie.

aaf wrote:
    You can port your Eircom number to blueface.

In addition they will give you additional VoIP numbers if you want (076 and the UK 056 numbers which can be called at a local rate anywhere in Ireland and Uk respectively)

Advertisement