Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re. garda speed checkpoint/trap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Boggle wrote:
    (Enjoy ur privatised (rape) camera's!)
    Thats a bit of a bubbles statement, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

kbannon wrote:
    Gardai just need to state that you were over the limit.
    You possibly won't get any proof that you were over the limit.
    You can't ask if the equipment is properly calibrated - you must presume that it is.
    You are not entitled to 10% tolerance.
    The garda's word is pretty much final!

Was that a p*sstake, kbannon - or was that serious? :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ambro25 wrote:
    Was that a p*sstake, kbannon - or was that serious? :eek:
    thats pretty much the way it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

A little bit off topic. But, the privatization of speed camera's is a joke. It'll be a disaster, ala Eircom, M50 tole, Aer Lingus, Port tunnel.... the list goes on and on.

In relation to the OP mother getting a fine. She was over the speed. She got caught. She'll get two points and a fine (funnily enough a friend got caught recently, went to court and the guard didn't turn up. Happy days).

In my opinion, catching drivers doing 7kph (~4mph) over the speed limit is a bit ridiculous. I know its 50kph for a reason, but there are far more dangerous drivers doing well over 7kph. Only yesterday I had someone pass me on the M1 doing well over 120kph, I would say easily 160kph or more. Should the Guards not be out trying to catch these drivers?

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Completely off topic-
    But I do think the privatisation of speed cameras will be a good thing-in ways.
    ie-there will be a hell of a lot more cameras and hopefully a hell of a lot more detections.
    As you rightly point out-there are a large amount of drivers doing ridiculous speeding on our more open roads and the reason they do so is that the chances of getting caught are low because of the lack of cameras. Were there a higher chance of getting caught I dont think they would do it as much.
    In fairness you have to be breaking the law to get fined. They cant fine you for 49kph in a 50 kph zone. so privitising the cameras will not change the law.
    Obviously you have the arguments of catching people for going 1kph over the limit in 50kph zones being an easy cash maker-however as I said-everyone will have to watch their speed more.
    Over in England as mentioned earlier-there are a hell of a lot more cameras-which I dont think is a bad thing.
    I just hope if they go private-they are handled well and not like some of the privatisation farces thus far.
    But as

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kbannon wrote:
    Gardai just need to state that you were over the limit.
    You possibly won't get any proof that you were over the limit.
    You can't ask if the equipment is properly calibrated - you must presume that it is.
    You are not entitled to 10% tolerance.
    The garda's word is pretty much final!
    You have heard of the truck sitting in a traffic jam caught doing 75mph :eek:
    Transit truck loaded with 3 tonne of stone doing 125mph? Both were impossible speeds.

So in Ireland you could not challenge this? Even with proof?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I never said that Brian. I merely stated, in response to a number of claims here, what the situation is. If the 'offender' wishes to take their case to the courts, then so be it but at the side of the road with a garda beside you that is pretty much the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

glynf wrote:
    Re. the original post, I have found out since(from a solicitor)the guards legaly have to wear the jackets, they must be visable-as much for their own saftey as any other reason.
    And the garda car/jeep/van must also be clearly visable, I was told keep an eye out for mondeo estates with their boot lid open fully to hide the lights and yellow stripe on the back door, the latest tactic...
    My mum is paying the fine, she's just not happy with the under hand way she was caught.
    If it was me, I would go to court, I have little or no respect for the majority of guards any more, ever since my girlfriend was mugged at knife point
    off Grafton St. on a sat. afternoon last year, and it took them over 1hour to get there-and tell her:
    "relax-youll be all right, they're long gone." :rolleyes:
    But thats just me.

I think your solicitor is mis informed. They don't have to wear a yellow jacket as it is not part of their uniform. They just need the minimum uniform requirement as long as they have their hat and a warrant card if the stop and address you. Obviously it is much safer if they are working on a road side to have high viz kit on. They vehicle does not have to be marked or visible. Personally, I think visible speed traps are more of a deterrent than covert ones. Sure if they all had to dress up in yellow jackets and drive marked cars what would we do with the special branch? Hi, I'm a plain clothes garda cunningly disguised as a garda in uniform ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Bond-007 wrote:
    You have heard of the truck sitting in a traffic jam caught doing 75mph :eek:
    Transit truck loaded with 3 tonne of stone doing 125mph? Both were impossible speeds.

So in Ireland you could not challenge this? Even with proof?

Of course you would but its not really the point. BTW I reckon both of these examples are urban myths. They are not good examples. The fact is most people are caught fairly and squarely and seek legal technicalities to get off the hook instead of squaring up to their just punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

thats pretty much the way it is!
    Whats a bubbles statement??

Anyway, I'll respond to the rest of yer counterpoints when I get half a chance - especially that piece of fantastic debating by he who is called "Mike"!! Oh, and the guy askin for stats to prove they drive faster in England - I live here now so I think I bloody well know whats in front of my eyes! (source: me drivin at 80mph with a stream of traffic overtaking me and another stream of traffic overtaking them!!)

How bout some of you read this and come back to this topic with some idea at least of an informed opinion... http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

I'm not saying their 100% right but, jesus people, have some cop on in life and stop swallowin every brick handed to you...
    (maybe thats another quote for the classical "Mike")

• Advertisement
Advertisement