Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE Institute

Options
  • 02-09-2005 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

This has probably been asked before but im in a mad dilema. Cant go back to my old school(mainly cause teachers think i am pure evil but im a good kid) but i neede to do 6th year Lc and all that ****. So im thinkin of the institute but have a few questions:

1. Do you get homework and have to have books or is it all those photocopied notes?
    2. Can you sit the leaving cert exam in there.
    3.Whats the story with study before/after school, can you leave before it ends.
    4. Are they strict on punctuality or do they care if you are not in so there are no notes necessary

Cheers guys i could really do with the feed back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

1. Basically all notes. I don't think i used any books for either years. They may ask you to get one or two though.
    2.Yes. Most people do.
    3.There are two study halls depending on your name. They're open all day and you go there when you don't have class. As far as after school study, it's on until 8 in the evening up until the end when it opens up till 9 and then even till 10. You can leave when you want, at any time and you can go on breaks as much as you want. If you're not disturbing anyone, they don't mind. Hopefully your second name starts with K - Z, as than you get the sound study guy.
    4. They say they care but you can get away with it if you want. You have to sign in (i think they are using hand scanners this year) when you come in the morning, so if you are late, they know and they ring your parents. Although, you can usually ring in yourself on your way to school, and tell them yourself that your going to be late. As the principle will tell you on the first day, if they don't catch you skipping class, the leaving cert will.

That said, if you plan on skipping class, save your parents 5.000 and don't bother going. If you plan on working, it will pay off, if you plan on spending your time in town all day, don't bother.

Also, it is as good as everyone says. THe teachers are brilliant, so too are the notes. Being able to go to study everyday, is also a major plus. I'd recommend it to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

hmmm....why do i suddenly wish i opted to go to the tute when my parents told me to......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

Cheers man thats everything i wanted to know. But the only thing is, is the homework all study from the notes or written and to they give class tests

in sixth year, the homework isnt really compulsory. You do it if you want to. Most of the time, you are just revising the notes. In most subjects there are weekly or monthly tests. As i said, its more of a "work if you want to work" atmosphere. They don't really care if you fail your exams.

The day before i got my results,i got a letter from the institute, and instead of being a good luck with the results, it was a booklet on if you wanted to repeat. In fairness though, before the exams started the two prinicples sent out a card to everyone wishing them good luck.

Cheers that has cleared all that up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

yeh cleared it all up for me too!!!tnks!!i cant wait now!!oh and some extra info they send u a booklist with a **** load of buks on it but i dnt tnk we shud get dem...and dey dont have lockers!!ooh and buy lots of folders!i got my dad to get me my stuf 7 a4 dislpay book 4 ring binders 200 empty pocket yokes 6 A4 pads and some pens and stuf!! id say ill be using it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

the coloured tabs are crucial!

do they go over the entire leaving cert course in 6th year in the tute like they do in places like bruce??

do they go over the entire leaving cert course in 6th year in the tute like they do in places like bruce??

yeh they do both years in one!! :D you thinkin of changin?lol! this girl in my old school went to the school for two days and then suddenly decided she was going to the institute! She didnt even say goodbye to anyone or tell them she was going!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It would be idiotic not to do the homework, since homework and paying attention in class is when you really learn things.

You are better off to get the books, if worse comes to worse and you don`t actually use them you can sell them on.

If you intend on working and not f*cking around ruining it for everyone else than go, other wise do your parents a favour and save them the money.

• Advertisement

Do u have to bring the books in to school cause books, folders and notes on the bus would not be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

d4gurl wrote:
    6 A4 pads!
    that should do till about ......halloween(if they're big mofo's)
    was in the 5th year last year and even with my brief notes i still ripped through pads.

d4gurl wrote:
    yeh they do both years in one!! :D you thinkin of changin?lol! this girl in my old school went to the school for two days and then suddenly decided she was going to the institute! She didnt even say goodbye to anyone or tell them she was going!! :eek:
    i had the option of going but i decided not too...but i dunno now...hmmm....i've been bk in my school a week now...nah i'll probably just stay where i am! i'm motivated and stuff to work anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

If you are motivated and willing to put in the work, you will do well anywhere.
    Save your parents that money.

wel it's not like i'll be saving them much really coz i go to a private school which is pretty expensive anyway...but yeah, i'm willing to put in the work...its the end of the 1st week and ive already done a bit of study!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Slow and steady wins the race as they say.
    Good luck with it all - I hope you get the results you want.

thanks...i'll do my best :D

tripper wrote:
    Do u have to bring the books in to school cause books, folders and notes on the bus would not be fun

School bag, decent one.

Subjects like Classical Studies you have to bring the books for the plays in, also the one for Art and Architeture. Hamlet and book for comparative you will need. Not too sure about other subjects. I wouldn`t get the big ring binder folders, personally I just find them awkward for day to day use. Better off with the plastic ones that can hold a fair bit, hard to explain what theyre like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

To be honest tripper, I dont know you and I could be very wrong(sorry if I am), you dont sound like you have a great attitude when it comes to working by the questions you are asking. The institute is brilliant and i would recommend it to anyone but its not some miracle factory where you go in for an hour or two a day they zap your brain and you come out in august with 590 points. It takes hard work but if your willing to work theres no place in ireland where youll come out with more points, and if your not willing to work.... bye bye 5 grand hello "would you like fries with that" ;)

You couldnt be more wrong with the do u have to bring books in thing is i dont want to break my back on the first day if its not necessary if it is i will. and with the mitchin off thing i was just checkin the last thing i want to do i throw away the auld pairs money

• Advertisement

yeh i second that....

I can always look at d buks at d wknds! u kno wat r great subs - the rapid revison buks there much better than the less stress! I got one for bio from a friend and its so good! plus there lighter! A lot of people do go too waste their parents money or whatever but I know i wont be one of them, well lets hope not!

yeah your rite...i've a couple of diff revision books...less stress and rapid revision...i prefer the less stress right now coz i find that they leave a good bit out in the rapid revision, but then again, you're supposed to be revising and know the stuff aren't you lol ;) for chemistry i've both the less stress and rapid revision and find the less stress one much more helpful and easier to understand

what woz the point of me rambling on?? i don't know....:D

Not trying to be snide or anything, but if your going to a grind school where you have condensed notes flung at you why would you feel the need for revision books?.

^^that's only the start of it. Last year, A LOT of people i knew in the institute went to the christmas,easter and pre leaving revision courses aswell as being there during the day. I could never understand going to revision courses aswell as being in a grind school

Yeah like the main reason u go is for the kickass teachers and notes its not like u get anymore after the full day

Not trying to be snide or anything, but if your going to a grind school where you have condensed notes flung at you why would you feel the need for revision books?.

Well I got the revision books for chemistry and biology in 5th year before I went to the institute so there is no harm in having a look at them. :D

TimAy wrote:
    ^^that's only the start of it. Last year, A LOT of people i knew in the institute went to the christmas,easter and pre leaving revision courses aswell as being there during the day. I could never understand going to revision courses aswell as being in a grind school

Why oh why would you do that!!! When i went for my interview the guidance councilor said there is no need to do extra grinds or whatever because you would just be getting the same notes!! Let me ask you did the people who did the revision courses and go to the institute do really well in there LC? I personally would find it far to confusing!! Oh Abercrombie what chemisrty book do you have? Because I have chemistry Live and the rapid revision book is written by the same guy so i find it easier to follow! That said is the less stress more easier?

Wat are they like in the interview, do your parents go and do they judge you on past results?

tripper wrote:
    Wat are they like in the interview, do your parents go and do they judge you on past results?

The interview is grand! I don't think the judge on your results... My mum came with me but she didn't have to - she just insisted :rolleyes: Your parents only need to go if your going into the 5th form, you can just go by yourself if you want! The lady Mary Dorgan is lovely she makes you feel really comfortable. I was in the door two minutes and she handed me an accpetance letter!! I know im jus so great! Lol! lmao! :p

• Advertisement

Yeah my da is insisting at the moe but that might change

Advertisement