Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Price of petrol to go above €1.30 per litre

Options
  • 02-09-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0902/petrol.html

:eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Looks like everytime someone sneezes these days the price of petrol rises.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

i think all the drivers out there should go on strike ie. leave the car/bus/truck at home...lets everyone take a weeks holiday...after stocking up on food...and see the country grind to a halt!!!!...that will get the governments notice..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Trampas

Petrol prices are mad but we are one of the cheapest on europe.

Everything youbuy oil has some involvment in it.

Maybe if people stopped wasting fuel/oil. Leaving lights on i.e. shops leaving the lights on all night even though they are closed, people leaving their engines running all these things are small but it all adds up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

switch to diesel and pour in lidl vegatable oil at 60 cent a liter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Withered.....the news @ 9 on rte: one major company goes up 10c at midnight, and up to aprox. 1.30 within 48hrs, others to follow. :(
    And diesel is going to top out(for the time being) at 1.17ish.
    Apparently 40% of US petrol is produced in the louisiana area.
    No fear the gov. will drop duty either, they need that €4 billion a year to keep those potholes topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

lomb wrote:

Does anyone on this forum use bio-diesel? Its starting to look like a viable option...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

stag39 wrote:
    i think all the drivers out there should go on strike ie. leave the car/bus/truck at home...
    mr_burns.png
    excellent. all the more for me then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1.30? where are they getting this figure from?

The report was quoting mad prices like €1.10. I have never paid that for petrol. Tesco Waterford are charging 104.9. I can't see this jumping to 1.30 overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

528i wrote:
    mr_burns.png
    excellent. all the more for me then.

Great Responce so when are they gona sort out the Veggie Oil To work in a motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tesco Waterford are charging 104.9. I can't see this jumping to 1.30 overnight.

Shush! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Well i'd say in the next few days it will be up to €1.30 all over the country and I did hear on the news tonight that it will be going up tonight in some places anyway so you might aswell fill up and sure when you are at it get a few barrels and maybe you should get the oil tank filled if you have one and I am serious(well maybe not about the barrels but then again €1.30... ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:

Exactly. Works grand on a lot of (older) diesels. Just fill up with 25% diesel and the rest sunflower oil. Let's say your tank is 60l then (based on a diesel price of €1.15/l) the saving is €25 per fill up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

unkel wrote:
    Exactly. Works grand on a lot of (older) diesels. Just fill up with 25% diesel and the rest sunflower oil. Let's say your tank is 60l then (based on a diesel price of €1.15/l) the saving is €25 per fill up :eek:

The first ever diesel engine ran on Peanut oil! I know there are places where you can get diesel engines converted to run on other oils, but I'm not sure where they are. I'm sure someone on here knows though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Trampas wrote:
    people leaving their engines running
    WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dahamsta wrote:
    WTF?

Why th esurprise, do you not build up to 60, turn the engine off and coast to your desination like the rest of us? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Dee

Filled up this evening before garage closed at 11pm. It was mad busy. Guy there said it was like that all evening. Cheapest up here in Dundalk is / was 1.109. I could be wrong, but do the fuel companies in Ireland not keep something like 2 years stock reserves. If I'm right, the petrol we are buying now was bought at say 35 dollars a barrell. Amazing how quick they are to put the prices up (and slow at knocking them down)!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On my way home this evening I passed through Ennis and seen a long queue at a Statoil station charging 113.9c a litre, they were almost queing out onto the main road, then about a 100 yards down the same road a Texaco station was charging 115.9c a litre, not a car at the pumps.

My local petrol station where I usually fill up, the price rose three times in the space of a week and that is currently 111.9c a litre which is one of the cheapest down here. Filled up in Newcastle West (about 25 miles from Limerick) last Sunday at 107.9c.

I remember moaning when it was 95c a litre, those were the days. :( What price will it be by Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is it rising at the same rates (or at all) in the uk/europe? I was in Germany in July and it was around €1.25 a litre. Anyone in Germany now? is it €1.40 or so now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Worth keeping an eye on:

http://www.irishfuelprices.com/

Recently relaunched so will probably take a week or so to become as complete as it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the appocolypse (sp) has'nt happened yet. Displayed prices are as yesterday.

shop around:eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Big Dee wrote:
    I could be wrong, but do the fuel companies in Ireland not keep something like 2 years stock reserves.
    AFAIR it's something like 90 days. That's if Whiddy Island or wherever gets filled. I vaguely recall some media report from about a year back mentioning that we'd dropped to 40 for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Went from 108.9 to 110.9 overnight locally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

It is clear and simple the retailers who I regard as filth are jumping on the bandwagon and charging higher prices, talked to one this morning and asked him why he put it up, his reply because people will pay.

Personally there is not enough vitrol in me to vent what i think about them.

The government pigs take up to 70cent a litre in tax and the other pigs make immense profits on our backs, this is not sustainable and will result in higher inflation and consumer prices and what do the filthy pigs in dail eireann do zero.

It cost me €55 a week not including toll to get to work this time last year, now it is close to €75.

I think it is time we emmigrated not from lack of jobs but to lack of money and the high cost of everything, I'm off to Micronesia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Aye, i agree! Tis a joke at this stage, government doing absolutely nothing. Useless fooks! This country is a complete joke at this stage, all the government do is go on the radio and try convince us that RIP OFF IRELAND is a fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you notice that the truckers are not having go slow protests or blocking roads. They did this for far less a couple of years ago, seems to be very little noise from their camp lately. Surely they are feeling the pinch as much as the rest of us too!

I did read this morning however that taxi drivers want to rise fares.

Of course the government do nothing, the more fuel costs the more they make in tax from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bazz26 wrote:
    I did read this morning however that taxi drivers want to rise fares.
    .. Just saw the report on that on the RTE News.. they're threatening strikes if they don't get ANOTHER fare increase.

All I can say is the poor taxi drivers! :mad: Noone's giving ME (or I bet most people) any more money so I can fill my car and get to work - they have some cheek really I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Bunch of crying knackers is what most taxi drivers are anyways.
    You`d think the truckers would strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

We should be like the French and lock the damn country down, well soon see Bertie and his filth buckle under the pressure, if only the people of this country would get up off there fat holes and make moves, I would and will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Was just thinkin the other day, as you do... Petrol cost about €1.20 a ltr at the mo, u go into the shop n pay about €1.50 for half a ltr of water. Strange that people complain about the price of petrol when they'll pay more for something that u can get for free.... The world we live in...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

If this continues I think I'll have to use public transport to get to college.....*shudders*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

fletch wrote:
    If this continues I think I'll have to use public transport to get to college.....*shudders*

eh! would it not be quicker and save you a heap on fuel!! you have 2 feet...walk to the busstop... :rolleyes:

Advertisement