Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP, is it worth the cash?

• 02-09-2005 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Didn't bother to book one of these things, but on the day was offered one by a mate who's in the business. I played with it, was well impressed but was still a little iffy with regards splashing out €300 for a PSP Value Pack + Game. I mean if it was €200 then yeah fair enough I would have bought one, but here's my gripe over the extra 100 quid...

- Many people (incl. on these boards) are reporting dead pixels on new units
    - Not a massive selection of decent games out yet (however some are good)
    - What are the chances of a €50+ price drop, this side of Xmas?

The last time (I can't remember what console it was), people were royally buggered when a week or two after release date, the unit was slashed in price. I can't remember what Sony are like with this (buggering the folk quick off the mark).

Many of you have bought one already. Do you feel happy that you got value for money?, or are you still in shock that you're a few hundred quid down and finding that the novelty of a new toy is wearing off? Basically is the PSP impressing the pants off you, and you can with confidence declare that it is the greatest handheld that you've ever used.

The only reason I ask is because I still have the offer open to me to get one of these, and I'm tempted, but still reluctant at the same time. If I was to buy I have my eye on WipeOut Pure or Ridge Racer. Played Ridge Racer and was impressed, but WipeOut has always been a favourite of mine, does it live up to it's predecessors?

Cheers ;)

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

I for one tend to avoid products such as the PSP for 6 to 12 months for the following reasons:

Price - The chances of a decrease in price before Christmas is nil; the Christmas market is far to lucrative. But after the Christmas rush I can see the price falling into the more digestible €199 - €219 price range.

Software - The selection and quality of software available upon the release of a new piece of gaming hardware tends to be poor. Developers are more concerned with learning how to code for the new technology than they are with originality.

Quality - Like the software developers, the manufacturers of the PSP are in virgin territory. The production process is not yet fully bedded-in and quality will suffer (see the dead pixel issue). As the manufacturing process evolves, quality control will improve and the PSP will become lighter and more battery-efficient.

I think the price of being an early-adopter tend to exceed the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

It's fantastic! You can only really judge for yourself. Check it out. Forget what others claim.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Eh, it's been out for over a year. The software argument isn't an issue. There are probably twice as many games out for the PSP as there are for the DS (games console, *snigger*).

It's worth it alone for the video and MP3 playback. homebrew for emulators,VNC and such is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i would get one,. i wouldnt depend on the price going down as you will see max of 30 euro cut in a space of a few months, not worth the wait.
    Dead pixels - you will get them even if you buy it a year from now, i distictivley remeber checking mine and had none and i took it out last night, i didnt drop it but theres one now, Not noticable during game play only on white screen, infact its not noticable at all.
    I have ridge racer - not a great fan but PLEASE DO get virtua[L?] tennis, its absolutley amazing. If you buy one now it will be 1.52 and hopefully downgraded soon [therefore you will be able to play games of your mem stick ;) and run emulators and other homebrew stuff]

thats all. it is worth it. 300 isnt that much, nothing else u can get with it. IPOD \?

FS!11 /me "gets" v-tennis.
    [Buy in xtra vision if you can. Apparently they're selling 1.5s]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

no way ? i pwnf myself again, how come its 1.5 batch for xtra v

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would defo get one if possible. I got one on the day although i wasn't planning too, the hype kinda of got the better of me. Took the option of ridge racer for my first game and the first track is the same as the original arcade game which i used to play in the leisureplex in Coolock. Myself and some people in work spent most of Friday afternoon trying to beat each others laptimes. My other half surprised me with a couple of games today, so I now can add Wipeout to the list. Also managed to go online which actually works pretty well.

Funniest thing was being stuck in a traffic jam on the M1 last night for about half an hour, with the PSP stuck under my seat. Managed to break of couple of more lap records while waiting for the traffic to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Xtra visions are 1.52; looks like someone who didn't know the difference got all psyched about it.

Go home folks, nothing to see here.

Also, I love mine ;) Wipeout is legendary (mine plays ISOs... SHHHHHH)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

psp is great, i am so glad i updated to v2.0, and glad i got my jap psp off a uk importer so no tax:)
    o yea its been a great six months and will continue to be great, with gta lcs, socom, sw battlefront and many more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

hey am going to get one tomorove. what is the updated to 2.0 thing? are there diffrent versions of this? is the update just software update? oh and silly qustion, how do u go on line with this thing? :confused::)

• Advertisement

Yeah you can go online. Don't upgrade to 2.0 whatever happens. There's a hack coming out to downgrade the current bios (1.52) to 1.5 so you'll be able to run homebrew code. Some of the games come with a web browser anyway so the one in 2.0 is no real benefit.

what about the watch movie bit? can i store music vedios on the memories and watch them ?

Yep. Also for 1.5 there's a region unlocker that will allow you to play the UMD movies from anywhere in the world.

cool. am defintly gettin one now. but just that the 1 GB mems are too much for me.. i think ill buy it for 250 . and get a game or some thing. hey dose it play WMA or i need to convert them :S

By default it plays mp3 but a few homebrew apps play other formats. Dont think WMA is supported at all.

it's only 32 MB ??@#

Not much. Buy a gig stick.

they are expansive .. very. over 100 euros :( what is the cheapest place? can u suggest a good irish website that i can search for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I myself wouldn't get one yet. It definitely does have some decent games. My problem is the price. 300 for the value pack. However add to that the price of 2-3 games and a much bigger memory stick and the price rises to over half a grand. I'm waiting until Novemeber when I go to America to get mine hopefully it will be much cheaper there. I would suggest people to wait until after christmas for a price drop and hopefully an increase in build quality. The DS seems to be better value for money at the moment despite the fact that the best games haven't made it here but that is offset by importing and a vast GBA collection which has an awful lot of quality games and I'd still wait for that to drop in price before you consider.
    There are probably twice as many games out for the PSP as there are for the DS (games console, *snigger*).

Maybe so but the DS matches the PSP for decent games that are worth buying. As for the games console comment, don't be such a child.

hah, anyone I know who owns a DS (i) Hasn't used it in months and (ii) wishes they'd spent the money on a PSP. The DS is dead in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if you want to know how good it is then get into any game retailer and play it. there's bound to be a display model. then make up your mind. you already know what games are out and the costs involved.

while this topic is active, would anyone do me a favour and log into yourpsp.com (it wont let me in for some stupid reason) and get me those cool wallpapers? thanks.. (you can just PM me rather then wasting space here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Right I said bugger it and I went in this afternoon and got a PSP Value Pack + Wipeout Pure. It's absolutely legendary.

So anyway, when I opened the box I was met with this "IMPORTANT!: Insert the Demo disk to get upgraded to v2.0 firmware". So I said Sod That, and checked my firmware to be v1.52, and I just continued to play WipeOut.

I'm happy to leave the firmware at v1.52 if it means I can do more later on. I don't have wireless broadband in my gaff so online gaming is not an option for me. Am I right in thinking that online gaming is the only advantage the v2.0 firmware brings?, and also what can one do right now to play around with the unit, other than visiting yourpsp.com. I signed up to that and gave them my serial/model, etc, does this PSP pack they're sending us out include Spiderman 2 on UMD? or what (is there some sort of cut off point?)

When will they be sending these out does anyone know, or is it pretty much ASAP.

;-phobos-)

if you want to know how good it is then get into any game retailer and play it. there's bound to be a display model. then make up your mind. you already know what games are out and the costs involved.

while this topic is active, would anyone do me a favour and log into yourpsp.com (it wont let me in for some stupid reason) and get me those cool wallpapers? thanks.. (you can just PM me rather then wasting space here)
    went to smiths. they were the only ones with display around blanch shoping center, i tried Wipout and fell in love with it, so am gettin one tomorove :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

hey ive got thug and ridge racer at the moment, but want to get another game, might wait for madden, but am tempted by everybodys golf, virtua tennis and mgsa, best one???? im in a bit of a pickle here:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dregin wrote:
    hah, anyone I know who owns a DS (i) Hasn't used it in months and (ii) wishes they'd spent the money on a PSP. The DS is dead in the water.

Well it seems to be just about out selling the PSP at the moment worldwide. I'd say the handheld race will be neck and neck for as long as it lasts.

Saying that my comments are probably a bit hypocritical. My DS has been used mostly as a better way to play GBA games since I haven't been able to import some of the excellent games due to no credit card. I'm also fighting the urge everyday to go down to the local xtravision and pick up a PSP despite knowing I'll get it far cheaper when I head off to the states :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think it's worth the cash for Wipeout alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

dregin wrote:

errrr... no.
    I have had both the DS and PSP for a few months, and I play the DS far more. Games for the PSP have mostly been crap. Wipeout is good, I've not tried ridge racers, but I have tried most of the launch lineup. And they are mostly crap (noteable exceptions are Everybody's Golf, Metal Gear Acid if you like that sort of thing, and apparently Virtua Tennis is pretty good). Other than that, crap.
    PSP: nice graphics, nice movie ability, too big for MP3's and very few decent games.

On the other hand I have quite a few imported DS games that are excellent. Elekroplankton is totally different to anything I've ever tried, Advance Wars DS is fantastic and worth the price of the console all by itself, Yoshi's Touch and Go is great craic, Kirby is apparently brilliant but I haven't gotten it yet. Mario 64 is fantastic, control is a little weird, but the game is great.
    Nintendogs is taking Japan and the US by storm right now, selling systems as fast as its selling games by all accounts.
    Many games in the offing look fantastic too.

And of course the vast GBA collection keeps me going when I get bored.

I'm not a nintendo or sony fanboy, however, on the basis of value and time spent on both consoles, I'd choose the DS first.

And tell your friends who havn't touched their DS to import. Until Nintendo Europe sort themselves out, its the only way to go.

glimmerman wrote:
    errrr... no.
    That's class. You're able to tell me what the people I know, who own it, think of the DS? Without me giving out names? You should look into making your superhuman powers a carreer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I was referring to your "DS is dead in the water" comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Got mine up North, it only cost me £250 for a value-pack, an accessory-pack, two games(Toca 2 & Wipeout pure, both very good).
    And also a movie(Alien, hehehe!). I don't know what that is in €uro's exactly,
    but I thought it was a good price.

Advertisement